#22 - 18/01/10 - Forfar Athletic 0-3 Saints - Scottish Cup

dave mc

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent perfrmance, Millar was excellent and Jody in control.

The 3rd goal was really good, great move and Craig lobbing the keeper with a chip on the run was class.

Funny when the defender tripped him (on purpose) as he wheeled away to celebrate.

Over 1000 Saintees, which I thought was really good considering.

The 3rd goal was really good, great move and Craig lobbing the keeper with a chip on the run was class.

Funny when the defender tripped him (on purpose) as he wheeled away to celebrate.

Really? Total crowd was 1449 so if the 1k of us is correct then that's pretty decent considering it's a Monday night. I was on the terracing & there was some spaces around but still an alright turnout.

Forfar certainly didn't flatter us for most of it but the main thing is that the lads eventually got some game time and also the win, despite being against a so called "wee team" will still give them a bit of confidence looking towards Sunday.

My fingers have just about warmed up enough to type! Thought it was, without being spectacular, a fairly routine, comfortable victory and we never really had to get out of second gear. Our 3rd goal was a nice move with a good ball from Millar I think, which Savo played a clever dummy for the ball to run on to Craig who finished with a cool lob over the keeper when one on one. Good for the players to get a run out before the weekend and most importantly, we're in the next round.

Guy on the radio said there was over 1000 Saints there and I reckon there was more than double the home support so probably about right, wasn't happy with the atmosphere though, no singing whatsoever and a polite applause at all 3 goals!! I felt like the only one giving my usual roar and cheer!!

Stroll in the park. Job done.Stand outs..Irvine, Craig and Doc although the poor bugger did miss a total sitter. Great saints support much more than I thought there would be.

Swankie, who I cheered onto the field and whos praises I was singing, which got me a serious slagging. was rubbish.. FFS Gav man your making me look bad..:oops:

thought we played alright the night looked a bit rusty though in the first half thought there poor forward line got past us early on hope they try and keep it a bit more organised on sunday. i dont know why he played 433 because we're def not going to play that formation on sunday so would it have been better playing the formation thats going to start against celtic.

Comfortable win without having to get out of lower gears. Could and should have had 2 or 3 more. Chris Millar looked a class above the rest on the pitch, albeit he faded a bit along with most others in the 2nd half. Mentions too for Irvine, Craig & Garters.

Quite annoyed Reynolds wasn't stuck on when it went to 3-0, particularly since Savo wasn't doing much by then.

the guy who tripped him was d*** campbells son

I thought we had about 700 to 800 which was not bad for such short notice on a cold Monday night

007.jpg

015.jpg

Guy on the radio said there was over 1000 Saints there and I reckon there was more than double the home support so probably about right, wasn't happy with the atmosphere though, no singing whatsoever and a polite applause at all 3 goals!! I felt like the only one giving my usual roar and cheer!!

Yea the support were quiet tonight. I think we have all forgotten what its like to be at a game in the last 3 weeks

Jocky Fritzl stood right in front.

I wish we had known he was there as that would have got some songs going. The coffin dodger is always a fair target :D

I know this is off topic but no matter how much money Melville FC have we should always turn down any bid they make for any of our players.

Forfar were up for it in the initial stages -but didnt pose much of a threat...we didnt play that well and goal mouth incidents were few and far between...but 3 goals was enough to win .........Shame that the Bridies ran out for some-good value compared to other caterering around the grounds.....Think we ended up in a Lager only pub tho.

That game was a perfect microcosm of McInnes' reign. We won, and were decent in patches, but by gum we made it far too difficult for ourselves.

It was ball-breakingly obvious that the midfield would be too narrow, we played a middle three similar to that earlier in the season (Hearts away?) and we really struggled. Forfar played with four in the middle and had a right good go at us simply because in the middle they had a numerical advantage and had more width. How in God's name could McInnes not see this? Our only width came from Grainger's mianderings from the left (when he didn't lose the ball, of course). Forfar really should have been a goal up before we scored. And we still had eleven men back against Forfar for corners. All due respect to the Loons, but that is, frankly, absolutely laughable. But for a bit of luck they should have scored early doors.

What benefit was there in playing Savo in what was always going to be a routine win? We all know about Milne playing sometimes when he isn't fully fit, and Milne is probably still not fit enough to start, but he plays anyway. I'm not sure who to be more irate at - the Physio for letting him play, Steven for choosing to play, or McInnes for choosing him. Very poor form all round. All that ended up happening was Milne playing poorly and looking dejected when he came off. Again, awful, awful decision.

We play 4-3-3 with three centre mids and all three central stirkers for almost 70 minutes before Del realises we have no width and brings on Swankie? Jesus Christ. We play a half-fit striker for 80 minutes on a rock hard pitch? Downright stupid.

Also, Peaso is a terrible diver. :laugh:

Still, onwards and upwards. Bring on the Celtic. Let's just hope Del doesn't choose a lineup anything like that or we'll get chundered.

Edited by CynicalSaintee

An unusually sensible post from Cynical, no width, no space centre midfield - Del was even ordering the defence to bypass the midfield! Feck me, Jody Morris in midfield and we choose to bypass it in favour of route one to Dukes. The poor full backs had no idea where to go, Liam played left mid, Morris deep centre mid and Millar Centre mid leaving Irvine to do two jobs. Murder polis from McInnes, one of his worst line-ups ever.

No Fil tonight, so I'm a fiver down. I'm hopeful that as the "sex scandal" moves forward, Swankie can show us what he's made of...black clouds and silver linings.

Fourth official was a d***. Yes I know that Reynolds shouldn't have worn blue underarmour, but to make him strip off in the dugout was a terrible decision. Had he rolled them up, nobody would have known.

Edited by 101 Saint

Fourth official was a d***. Yes I know that Reynolds shouldn't have worn blue underarmour, but to make him strip off in the dugout was a terrible decision. Had he rolled them up, nobody would have known.

I was wondering why he was topless. Linesmen weren't the best, either, although on the last call that got everyone particularly riled (when Milne was called off, much to his dismay and our irritation), I personally thought he was a bit offside and said so just as he was called off.

Good point about Fil, too. If McInnes says he rested him to preserve his fitness after playing Milne, then he is officially a class one hypocrite. Especially after Moon and Davidson were rested from training on the astroturf because it might aggravate their groin injuries!