Perths best chippie--- Past and Present

Wish i was Joe McGurn

• 1 month later...
Guest Harry Curran's Love child
Step forward the chippy on Glengarry Road, I think it was called Ronaldo's at the time? It was over 20 years ago now...

Cracking chippy and owner too. Used to take him the eels and flounders we caught when fishing down at the harbour when I was a youth and trade them for greasy delights

Abbeys in North Muirton, you would get your chips and curry sauce just in the news paper...Fuc*in quality.

In retrospect it probably wasn't that good, but the first chippie I remember was the Bridgend chippie in the late 70's/early 80's.

The outside was painted blue and ran by a guy called Andy. It had a wee seating area if I remember rightly?

However, i can still smell that brilliant aromal and savouring fish and chips and other delights for the first time!

Bridgend had great shops then. Mrs MacDonalds fruit & veg shop, Lee's fishmonger on the bridge, Proudfoot's and McIntyre's bakers, George Morrison's grocers, Betty Kennedy's ladies wear & hosiery (was straight out of the 1950s!).

I remember them all!! I even remember shops where the car park is opposite the Riverside Inn. I think there was a hardware shop and a newsagents run by two ancient scary sisters? Well they were when you were four!

Holdgates was good for a 'sit doon' chippie and always felt like a treat. Grew up in Craigie and the chippie was always good, although the guy that ran it was a tyrant to his staff. The young lad there now has been there for years and really knows his stuff.

However, although it is a chinese / chippy and the 'chippy' stuff aint nothing to write home about, Hospital Street chips and curry are legend and are a massive part of my youth, including variations on the theme, chips/fried rice/curry, chips/ beans/curry.

Woke up many a time with a massive hangover to find I had been rolling about all night in the remnants of my chips n' curry.....mmm breakfast :)

I remember them all!! I even remember shops where the car park is opposite the Riverside Inn. I think there was a hardware shop and a newsagents run by two ancient scary sisters? Well they were when you were four!

used to be Duffs the baker there too in the late 1960's - used to go down every morning from the Potterhill flats for "crispy" rolls -3 absolute quality bakers within 100 yards of each other - happy days:)

Holdgates was good. Also the one near the auld snooker, Watsons was it?

The chips at Glengarry Rd were always cut too big and undercooked.

The other place Pinos I got a ginger hair in my single fish once.

My Uncle uses to own the chippie on the Dunkeld Road till he went to Australia in the late 60s. That was the best for me because everything was free!

Holdgates was good. Also the one near the auld snooker, Watsons was it?

The chips at Glengarry Rd were always cut too big and undercooked.

The other place Pinos I got a ginger hair in my single fish once.

My Uncle uses to own the chippie on the Dunkeld Road till he went to Australia in the late 60s. That was the best for me because everything was free!

Watsons was the one near the end of Mill Street I think...not sure where you term the 'auld snooker' to be!

Watsons was the one near the end of Mill Street I think...not sure where you term the 'auld snooker' to be!

I think the "auld snooker" used to be behind the buildings where watsons is,now the doctors surgery,i could well be wrong about the location though,i used to get told stories about what went on in that place :shock:

Roxannes? Wasn't that opposite Pullar House?

Roxanne's was part of the old Odeon Cinema on Kinnoull Street, before that it was Park Avenue Snooker Hall and Amusements.

When it was still the Odeon Cinema, it is of note because that is where Ewan McGregor went to see his Uncle (Denis Lawson) appear in Star Wars, a long, long tme before he was Obi Wan Kenobi!

Roxanne's was part of the old Odeon Cinema on Kinnoull Street, before that it was Park Avenue Snooker Hall and Amusements.

When it was still the Odeon Cinema, it is of note because that is where Ewan McGregor went to see his Uncle (Denis Lawson) appear in Star Wars, a long, long tme before he was Obi Wan Kenobi!

and did Roxannes not 'mysteriously' burn down :neutral:

I think the "auld snooker" used to be behind the buildings where watsons is,now the doctors surgery,i could well be wrong about the location though,i used to get told stories about what went on in that place :shock:

you are sorta right!entrance to the snooker hall (70`s era) was through the tunnel next to watsons before it moved to james st.

feel free to share the stories though chips:laugh: