#15 - 10/11/10 - Motherwell 4-0 Saints - SPL

Radford 72

The scoreline is obviously disappointing, but we were better than Saturday. We played some decent stuff at times, and we'd maybe had a bit more of the game before Motherwell scored their first. They took their chances, and we're really lacking a bit of cutting edge in front of goal tonight.

The front two were poor tonight, Parkin wasn't at his best, and I've yet to see much from Dobie. Maybury isn't a central midfielder, but we didn't have too many options in there. We were playing a full strength Motherwell side, and if available, any one of Hardie, Adams, Davidson, Millar or Moon would have played in the middle ahead of Maybury. A full strength St Johnstone side wouldn't have been beaten 4-0 to Motherwell. We need to tighten up at the back, Del needs to decide on his best back-line and stick with it.

We need a result soon to get us back on track, but sadly I struggle to see the fixture that the result we need is going to come in.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When?? I can remember one move where Jody played in Cleveland but other than that it was terrible from start to finish

We were the better side in the first ten minutes, their goal was against the run of play.

After that Motherwell were the better side, but Taylor put in a few decent balls which neither of the strikers managed to get onto the end of, and Grainger had a free-kick that just went wide. Liam was getting forward well at times, but we just lacked a bit of cutting edge in front of goal. It wasn't a 4-0 game.

Motherwell a good side though, and were clinical. Humphrey is a cracking player and pinned Grainger back, preventing him from getting forward at all. I'm pretty sure they'll finish 3rd.

Beatson's reknowned for wielding tools at this time of the night.

Let's not be daft about this though, we were beaten by a better team tonight. I buy into the whole "I don't mind them losing, as long as the try" cliche as much as your next walloper who is stupid enough to swallow it.

I wasn't there tonight, I'm going on second hand reports from the fingertips of highly charged, easily antagonised football supporters. Have you you read the match thread during the game? It was like an advert for the Salem Witch trials.

Thought 3 -0 at half time flattered Motherwell, seemed every shot they had in 1st half went in while we huffed and puffed a bit up front. Taylor played his best game for us as well. We looked very poor in defence though, Humphrey had the beating of Danny every time.

Humphrey was fantastic tonight, Motherwell are a very decent team.

Their keeper had a couple of great saves in 2nd half though that had they went in ........

All in all not a great night

Jackson wasn't with the rest of the players in the stand.

Yes he was.

Disgraceful performance from us tonight. The only players who came near to playing acceptable were Cleve and Ando. McInnes was tactically outdone by Craig Brown big style tonight. Maybury aint a centre midfielder.

Things can only get better......

We could play that game another ten times and it wouldn't finish 4-0. Don't get me wrong, we were pish poor, but it was never a 4-0 game. Every break that could go against us did.

The sooner we get players back and FIT the better. I'm still not concerned about being dragged into a relagation battle, but we need to start getting points on the board.

Wasn't much wrong with the starting lineup although I was worried about Millars absence. But the players simply didn't perform - Morris and Maybury were a nightmare in the middle of the park. Couldn't handle the Well players pace and were too slow/negative in getting to support the strikers.

Parkin/Dobie started well and Taylor was one of the few pluses all night but with no support they got very little in the way of chances.

Defensively we were poor - Mackay came onto a better game but too often him and Doobs were caught up the park and too slow to get back and cover. Grainger was up against Humphrey and basically got beaten for pace every time.

I agree with Broon Del needs to rest players that aren't fit or performing. I'd drop Maybury and Morris if possible and play Davidson and Millar in the middle. Peaso did enough when he came on to perhaps warrant a start - certainly Dobie isn't a 90 minute player.

Ach well at least we're not Aberdeen.

I was gutted last night when I couldnt go last night at last minute, but when the scores started coming in I was kind of relieved.

The team appears to have lost much of that spirit that we showed last season (and even in Division 1. The constant injuries to the squad certainly havent helped.

Its not quite panic stations but we really need to get out of this sooner.

If Danny Grainger thinks we will go down he needs his arse kicked!

Wasn't at the game but I feared this might happen. Motherwell showed us at Mcdiarmid they are a good team and their position in the League is no fluke. Confidence (especially in Defence ) seems to have gone down the plughole since Celtic tore us apart in the first 10 minutes of the cup game. Need to get behond the team big time on saturday - Hearts are on a high after beating Hibs and Celtic. I fear another torrid afternoon.

If Danny Grainger thinks we will go down he needs his arse kicked!

Watching him last night would suggest he has money on it. If a player is that much quicker than you give him a yard or two, dont try to get into his shorts. At one point the ball went into Humphreys when Grainger was about five yards away. Everyone one in the ground could see he was going to turn and run, well everyone accept the one who mattered. Grainger thought diving in would be the best course of action. He then grabs at the player. Now everyone makes mistakes but to make the same one for 90 minutes isn't acceptable.

Interesting comments from Craig Brown post-match last night when he stated that he thought his team were flattered by the scoreline. Made me recall his finger-wag at the Saints fans for booing the team off after the display in the first game against Motherwell earlier this season saying that he thought Saints "were in a false position". I wonder if deep down he still thinks that? - his team have probably taken the easiest 6 points they've got against us over these 2 games. Actually he always impresses me - he's always modest enough to play down his sides' wins, and looks for the positive in everything, whilst all the time knowing exactly what he's about.

Interesting comments from Craig Brown post-match last night when he stated that he thought his team were flattered by the scoreline. Made me recall his finger-wag at the Saints fans for booing the team off after the display in the first game against Motherwell earlier this season saying that he thought Saints "were in a false position". I wonder if deep down he still thinks that? - his team have probably taken the easiest 6 points they've got against us over these 2 games. Actually he always impresses me - he's always modest enough to play down his sides' wins, and looks for the positive in everything, whilst all the time knowing exactly what he's about.

Everyone we play is getting the break of the ball. I wasnae there but four chances four goals. Two saves two rebounds to the player to tap in Aberdeen is now turning into the big game of two luckless teams. Because neither of us are bad teams. Just hope it is our luck that turns first

I haven't had time to read all the comments but there seems to be a bit of knee-jerking going on on the site of late (even before this dreadful match happened). Motherwell were better than us all over the park and deserved to win - but sometimes we just need to accept that Saints will have a bad patch or two pretty much every season, and right now we're going through one of them. Del's built a good team, but at the moment it's unsettled and the heads are down: eventually things will click back into place and we'll start playing well again. Motherwell have got some really good players (particularly Humphrey), a wise old manager with loads of experience, and they're an established SPL side whose development is ahead of ours (had they been properly punished for cheating a few years back then that might not have been the case!), but Saints will recover to take points off them in the near future, just as we have done in the recent past.

I only wish Del would sometimes show a bit more faith in sticking with players and letting the team gel. I realise we've got injury problems at the moment (and if one thing's been highlighted by recent weeks, it's just how exposed we are in the middle of the park if either/both of Davidson and Morris are unavailable), but in general the team seems a bit lacking in cohesion. I reckon a good team should have five established outfield partnerships, but last night we only had one (Grainger and Craig). The other four were Duberry and Anderson, Mackay and Taylor, Morris and Maybury, and Parkin and Dobie - none of whom have played many games together as pairings. It was great to see Dobie getting a chance, but will he now disappear again for weeks, purely because he and Parkin didn't hit it off immediately? I think we need to get a bit more consistency in team selections and the team would start looking far more comfortable and confident together. And I know many will disagree, but in terms of fluidity up front, I think we're really missing Deuchar this season, as he was brilliant at bringing his strike partner into the game, and we seem to have lost that this season, which must surely account at least partly for the strike force looking so much more limp than last year.

Incidentally, on a positive note, I thought Taylor was really good - he's lively, hard-working, unselfish with the ball and has a really good delivery. I think in the last two games we've seen glimpses of why he was highly rated with previous teams down south, and I'd like to see him given a bit more of a run in the team.

Anyway, I'm off back into hibernation - I'm starting to think I maybe didn't choose the best match to make a five-hour train journey for!

If any relief is to be provided after a result like last night's it's knowing you'll get a good laugh at all the posts saying how player x (yes, him) has always been rubbish etc... etc... and I see there are even some saying McInnes must go. Brilliant.

There was plenty wrong with our performance last night but I'd tend to agree with Ali91 that if we played that game another ten times, we wouldn't lose 4-0. Brown is a patronising old git but there was a basis to his post-match stuff about them getting the breaks and in terms of possession and territory, it was pretty equal. This wasn't a performance of the standard seen at Firhill in the promotion season, nothing close to it but this is the biggest test of the manager's career after that wee spell.

Concerns for me were how soft we were and how easy it was for Motherwell at times and the fourth goal kinda summed it up, even if the game was burst. It was a bit like the Killie goals on Saturday, weak challenges. Too often Motherwell players were just ghosting past our players and I'm not talking in the sense of Humphrey skinning Grainger, more guys in the middle of the park just being able to walk past our boys without a challenge. That's not stuff that can't be rectified but the hardest part of the game is scoring goals and that's probably the biggest concern that we are the lowest scorers in the league. I don't think anyone expected us to score as many as last season but we're miles off it. On the 11th November last season we'd scored 33 goals in all competitions, failing to score only once, ironically in a game against Hibs where we created tonnes of great chances. This season on the same date, we've scored only sixteen goals (seven of those in cups) and failed to score in half our SPL matches. In only a quarter of them have we scored more than once.

They R word needs to be discussed but let's not get things out of perspective, twelve days ago we were talking about the top six and were happy enough with the way things are going.

People keep going on about us not scoring goals but apart from putting the ball in the net what else do you need to score goals? Create chances. We can go on about having a settled front two which obviously helps but if the midfield and especially the two wide men are not creating chances then the goals from open play are hard to come by. That in turn heaps pressure on the defenders aswell, because if the midfield is over run there is extra bodies piling forward and making their job even harder. A distinct lack of pace across the park in midfield is hurting us