Murray Davidson in Scotland Squad

Aitchy

How many of the above named can tackle like Muzz,they are all ball players,who with the exception of Brown and Fletch can't really tackle,so we could be short of muscle in there.

This I agree with, sure Murray isn't in almost everybodies top 10 midfielders for Scotland, but what he does give you is something different, which in a squad of scotlands size is important. Options is everythig.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of the above named can tackle like Muzz,they are all ball players,who with the exception of Brown and Fletch can't really tackle,so we could be short of muscle in there.

I agree with this...Muzz is a different type of midfielder to many of those named elsewhere. He maybe will not be the best passer / dribbler out of them, but he will be up there with his tackling and his ability in the air

Murray Davidson has not been brought into the squad for flair and defence splitting passes. He's been brought in because he's the best tackler in Scotland by a country mile and not many beat him in the air or for desire. They may not be pretty qualities but they are qualities and Levein is clever enough to know in a Scotland shirt that's a useful thing to have. He's a throwback to 20 years ago. Scotland fans would love him.

Murray Davidson has not been brought into the squad for flair and defence splitting passes. He's been brought in because he's the best tackler in Scotland by a country mile and not many beat him in the air or for desire. They may not be pretty qualities but they are qualities and Levein is clever enough to know in a Scotland shirt that's a useful thing to have. He's a throwback to 20 years ago. Scotland fans would love him.

Couldn't agree more. Not likely I know but would you try and outplay Spain, France etc in midfield with the slick passing midfielders we played against Norn Iron or would you try and upset their rhythm with a centre midfield trio of Fletch Broon and Muzz

To be honest I would be a surprise to me if he got any time on the pitch. I see this as a similar situation to when Paw Broon took some promising young'uns (including MacAnespie) away to France with the main squad in 98 - to enjoy the experience and to help the 'transition' from the U21s to the big boys team.

More than happy to be proven wrong though, and would be absolutely delighted if I got to see a Saints player get a full Scotland cap.

It's also on the BBC website - can't help thinking that we may be seeing the last of Murray in the next few weeks. Hopefully he'll get on the pitch for Sunday, for several reasons (i) finally a Saints player getting the recognition he deserves and (ii) if this is all to be believed add maybe another couple of digits on any potential fee. As much as I would hate him to go, he has the ability to be a top player for a top team. Are Wolves a top team, not sure, but he deserves the chance to play at a higher level.

If he gets on against Brazil...£650k and we can shake on it :)

I'm not sure why we are aiming so low. Personally I think 500-650k is poor if he gets a Scotland cap and is moving to a permiership team. I'd be looking for closer to 1million if that happens. This is a team that paid £7million for Fletcher.

I'm not sure why we are aiming so low. Personally I think 500-650k is poor if he gets a Scotland cap and is moving to a permiership team. I'd be looking for closer to 1million if that happens. This is a team that paid £7million for Fletcher.

Yes but they paid £7m to Burnley not Hibs. He only went for that much after proving himself in the Premier League, the Championship, the Spl & for Scotland.

Muzz has only proved himself in the Spl & Scottish lowere leagues.

Would be happy with £750K plus add-ons.

Yes but they paid £7m to Burnley not Hibs. He only went for that much after proving himself in the Premier League, the Championship, the Spl & for Scotland.

Muzz has only proved himself in the Spl & Scottish lowere leagues.

Would be happy with £750K plus add-ons.

Yeah, but Burnley paid 3 million to Hibs for a striker with a goal ratio of 0.25. One goal in 8 games for Scotland. Goal ratio of 0.25 for Burnley and Wolves.

All I'm saying is he's not 6 x better than Muzz so £750k would be too cheap.

I agree that we are looking at far too low a figure for Muzza if looking for around 750k - he is already worth over a million, regardless of where you are playing. You are paying for their ability not the reputation from their league. Granted, in the days of stupid fees, but did Callum Davidson not go for 1.25 million, after playing only a handful of games in the top flight. Surely we should be looking at something similar. Anything less is criminal. That price by todays standards is a bargain. At least insist on a high % sell on fee. Problem, is if who goes, how do we fill the gap... Probably another thread to be discussed over the summer though...

I agree that we are looking at far too low a figure for Muzza if looking for around 750k - he is already worth over a million, regardless of where you are playing. You are paying for their ability not the reputation from their league. Granted, in the days of stupid fees, but did Callum Davidson not go for 1.25 million, after playing only a handful of games in the top flight. Surely we should be looking at something similar. Anything less is criminal. That price by todays standards is a bargain. At least insist on a high % sell on fee. Problem, is if who goes, how do we fill the gap... Probably another thread to be discussed over the summer though...

adams was brought in to fill the gap.

Adams injury record would suggest he can't be relied upon to become a regular member of the team. A pity as have liked what he has offered in the minimal time he has played.

Callum Davidson went for £1.75 million but had played more than a "handful" of games in the Premier league. Depends how big your hands are I guess but

played the 97/98 season and half the 98/99 one. Was also regular in 96/97 title winning team.

Personally I would be delighted if we got £500,000 for Murray Davidson.

Adams injury record would suggest he can't be relied upon to become a regular member of the team. A pity as have liked what he has offered in the minimal time he has played.

Muzz went through a spell of picking up a few injuries as well....it is only recently he has looked like he has been playing injury free. It's the the nature of the beast when you play the way these guys do - stretching for tackles, falling awkwardly from aerial challenges etc