Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news. Must have been a very tempting challenge for him to take on at Brentford - very impressed with the commitment he's shown in staying at Saints. Onward and upward!

Not really a show of commitment, just not the right offer. He's (quite rightly) putting himself out there as he wants to move on from Saints.

Not really a show of commitment, just not the right offer. He's (quite rightly) putting himself out there as he wants to move on from Saints.

I agree. As long as he does his best whilst he's still here, I'll be quite happy.

He'll definitely move onto better things eventually, he'll not just take anything though.

Del (agent) decides to withdraw following the free hot seat at Sheff United... coincidence? Much better team who have lost their way a little. From now on, every manager post in England, Del will be linked! Roll on the rumours till the day he does depart.

Del (agent) decides to withdraw following the free hot seat at Sheff United... coincidence? Much better team who have lost their way a little. From now on, every manager post in England, Del will be linked! Roll on the rumours till the day he does depart.

i agree that he will get linked with every vacancy going over the next few weeks/months but Sheffield United are a club in total disarray !! i,d avoid them like the plague.

i agree that he will get linked with every vacancy going over the next few weeks/months but Sheffield United are a club in total disarray !! i,d avoid them like the plague.

Neil Warnocks favourite club as well which would mean Del might just bump into him from time to time, so I'd say if he goes to Sheffield it'll be to the blue half

So here's a bit of perspective for you lot.

We aren't Cockneys, I don't think they even exist anymore to be honest. Brentford is a relatively small riverside suburb in West London, arguably the last remotely working-class place along the Thames although that's changed in the last 10 years. There are a lot of pubs, Griffin Park, a Steam Museum and a Music Museum, also quite a few large companies have corporate headquarters on the motorway and that's about it.

Not sure where the money thing has come from. We've got a similar sized ground to you (someone said 12,000 but once you segregate it's more like 10,500) and it has been showing its age for 30 years or longer, we can't make any money from it. The property market falling has hurt the only stadium proposal that didn't involve us moving 10 miles away and losing our identity. We were so close and now if it does happen it will have taken nearly 20 years to sort out. Our fans had to take over otherwise we would be dead by now, even then it has been a struggle hence the recent investor who prefers to be low-key. Someone mentioned above that £1m a year isn't a lot to get out of our league, which was a good call. League One is such a great division that teams like Sheffield United, Leeds and Charlton are desperate to get relegated to it, which helps clubs like ours massively when they spank a million quid on a shit player and we're stuck with loans and non-league signings.

We have started to focus on youth development as a club and given our catchment area you could see why McInnes might have thought it a good idea to see what we were offering. Were he able to get us promoted or even have a good first season he would either put himself in the shop window or take a club in England forward. I'd look to Blackpool as an example of what can be done with a bit of inspiration, good sense and good luck.

Not all our fans are arrogant, you probably got a poor cross-section by reading that internet forum. I think the fact that Terry Butcher presided over some of the worst football ever seen at Griffin Park yet now manages an SPL club taints the view of some Brentford fans towards Scottish Football. My relatively uninformed impression is that outside the Old Firm most SPL clubs seem to reach a plateau and cannot compete beyond that, maybe by moving sideways or downwards in England McInnes is looking to avoid this?

Regardless, McInnes isn't coming now, annoying since we'd all been on wikipedia looking up his stats and shit, this thing dragging also means people will hold out on buying season tickets which only hurts the club. I wouldn't wish anyone the Sheffield United job given the season they just had, so we shall see what happens there.

We aren't Cockneys, I don't think they even exist anymore to be honest. Brentford is a relatively small riverside suburb in West London, arguably the last remotely working-class place along the Thames although that's changed in the last 10 years. There are a lot of pubs, Griffin Park, a Steam Museum and a Music Museum, also quite a few large companies have corporate headquarters on the motorway and that's about it.

Not sure where the money thing has come from. We've got a similar sized ground to you (someone said 12,000 but once you segregate it's more like 10,500) and it has been showing its age for 30 years or longer, we can't make any money from it. The property market falling has hurt the only stadium proposal that didn't involve us moving 10 miles away and losing our identity. We were so close and now if it does happen it will have taken nearly 20 years to sort out. Our fans had to take over otherwise we would be dead by now, even then it has been a struggle hence the recent investor who prefers to be low-key. Someone mentioned above that £1m a year isn't a lot to get out of our league, which was a good call. League One is such a great division that teams like Sheffield United, Leeds and Charlton are desperate to get relegated to it, which helps clubs like ours massively when they spank a million quid on a shit player and we're stuck with loans and non-league signings.

We have started to focus on youth development as a club and given our catchment area you could see why McInnes might have thought it a good idea to see what we were offering. Were he able to get us promoted or even have a good first season he would either put himself in the shop window or take a club in England forward. I'd look to Blackpool as an example of what can be done with a bit of inspiration, good sense and good luck.

Not all our fans are arrogant, you probably got a poor cross-section by reading that internet forum. I think the fact that Terry Butcher presided over some of the worst football ever seen at Griffin Park yet now manages an SPL club taints the view of some Brentford fans towards Scottish Football. My relatively uninformed impression is that outside the Old Firm most SPL clubs seem to reach a plateau and cannot compete beyond that, maybe by moving sideways or downwards in England McInnes is looking to avoid this?

Regardless, McInnes isn't coming now, annoying since we'd all been on wikipedia looking up his stats and shit, this thing dragging also means people will hold out on buying season tickets which only hurts the club. I wouldn't wish anyone the Sheffield United job given the season they just had, so we shall see what happens there.

My brother has lived in Shepherd's Bush since 1972 mate so I've been to Griffin Park a couple of times.

Appreciate what you say about a poor cross section of Brentford fans on the forum - had to laugh at some of the comments that were clearly borne out of total lack of knowledge of Scottish football/Saints/Del.

Can't really understand why there's such animosity against our chairman for trying to do his best for his club though - surely any chairman has a duty to do that? Geoff Brown is an absolute legend to us Saintees, without him our club would have died in 1986.

PS. Great post by the way.

I've been to Brentford a few times from when I was living in Surrey. It is a great day out and as I said before a pub on every corner. The stadium is old fashioned but great !!!!! I was there when they played huddersfield a few years ago and some hoolies thought me and my mate were from the opposition. Once I explained I was from Perth, lived in Surrey and was visiting..we ended up having a few jars rather than a rammy. Great Club.

CJC cheers for your perspective. For what it's worth I think you only have to spend five minutes on here to realise that the opinions of most on internet forums are pretty soul detroying and you have to take them with a pinch of salt to prevent yourself being driven by hate.

With regard to Del going to Sheffield United I think although this would be great job for any manager with a bit of ambition his role in the infamous 'Battle of Bramall Lane' would make him unpopular choice with the fans and as a result he would fall well down their shortlist.

Neil Warnocks favourite club as well which would mean Del might just bump into him from time to time, so I'd say if he goes to Sheffield it'll be to the blue half

Megson's not on a shoogly peg anymore so there is no chance of Del coming here. Wednesday are no longer sleeping giants but comatose. The Rip Van Winkles of lower league football they are destined to stay that way and now joined by the Blades which is all the city needs after Clegg!

nice post chief.i would say scottish football is pants.mind come back though.