Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, he is on their list and they will have interviewed him along with quite a few others, they will then choose the best option, i.e price, personal, etc. It has said no where, he is there number 1 target, nor has it said he is going to accept. I firmly believe he will be here next season, before moving to the Championship during the season, after leaving us in mid-table security.

I always despair when folk start suggesting new managers on here as most of the names just fill me with dread. Saints are a brilliantly run club with a board who have a really strong knowledge of the game and IMO that suits a young manager who has tonnes of fresh ideas but maybe just needs a wee bit of guidance here or there, e.g. Paul Sturrock, Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes. Why venture away from that successful route? McInnes has/had a real desire to achieve things with Saints, a desire that wouldn't be replicated in someone like Jimmy Calderwood IMO, who would just be looking for another job in the only thing he knows.

Geoff Brown made a massive mistake when he listened to the fans and appointed John Connolly (which was doomed to be a disaster from the start) but I trust him to make another smart appointment. In fact, I suspect he already knows who the next manager of Saints will be, whenever Derek McInnes decides to leave.

Again looking at the Brentford forum, they really don't appreciate what a coup this would be for them.

Fully agree with Rad. If Del is to go, Geoff will know who he wants and I think he will follow his success of bringing in another new young manager who has recently or is about to finish a good playing career.

Exactly, he is on their list and they will have interviewed him along with quite a few others, they will then choose the best option, i.e price, personal, etc. It has said no where, he is there number 1 target, nor has it said he is going to accept. I firmly believe he will be here next season, before moving to the Championship during the season, after leaving us in mid-table security.

I keep seeing people saying "move to Championship".

You can't guarantee that, I can't either and neither can Del. Is it not better to get the foot in the door than wait for this hypothetical move to the Championship?

I keep seeing people saying "move to Championship".

You can't guarantee that, I can't either and neither can Del. Is it not better to get the foot in the door than wait for this hypothetical move to the Championship?

That's almost certainly what McInnes is thinking. I think he knows that despite an outwardly acceptable league position he's had a bad season at Saints*, and the window of opportunity may close on him soon. For example, if he starts off next season badly at Saints he'd be on a shoogly peg - yet he also knows that it will be tough to take Saints that much higher to attract a big team's interest. If WBA weren't interested in him last time around, what's it's going to take for them to look at him next time.

It's a sign of state of mind that he's even considering this post - remember Coyle went to a championship side as a Division One manager**.

A move to a mid-table League One side would give him a fresh start, a year to build a side, and the chance of going up to the Championship, which would attract a lot of attention.

* Yes, there was the cup semi, but there was a hell of a lot of fortune in that run in terms of draws. We only had one very good result (Hearts), one ok one (Partick), two poor games (Brechin), and the disaster of the semi. Signings, from Dobie to Myrie-Williams have been really bad this year and entertainment value limited.

** Not sure why McGlynn never seems to be mentioned by these lower league English clubs. In my view his results are better than Coyle's were.

That's almost certainly what McInnes is thinking. I think he knows that despite an outwardly acceptable league position he's had a bad season at Saints*, and the window of opportunity may close on him soon. For example, if he starts off next season badly at Saints he'd be on a shoogly peg - yet he also knows that it will be tough to take Saints that much higher to attract a big team's interest. If WBA weren't interested in him last time around, what's it's going to take for them to look at him next time.

It's a sign of state of mind that he's even considering this post - remember Coyle went to a championship side as a Division One manager**.

A move to a mid-table League One side would give him a fresh start, a year to build a side, and the chance of going up to the Championship, which would attract a lot of attention.

* Yes, there was the cup semi, but there was a hell of a lot of fortune in that run in terms of draws. We only had one very good result (Hearts), one ok one (Partick), two poor games (Brechin), and the disaster of the semi. Signings, from Dobie to Myrie-Williams have been really bad this year and entertainment value limited.

** Not sure why McGlynn never seems to be mentioned by these lower league English clubs. In my view his results are better than Coyle's were.

Indeed. Agree with what you've posted.

Not sure why McGlynn never seems to be mentioned by these lower league English clubs. In my view his results are better than Coyle's were.

John McGlynn is 49-years-old and only played senior football with Berwick Rangers. Raith Rovers was his first senior management role and it's this, his fifth season, before he's really starting to gain attention. From what I can gather, Raith aren't great to watch, very much anti-football. That could be wrong but is what I've picked up from reading the views of fans on Pie & Bovril.

I wouldn't even like to see him at Saints, never mind touting him for a move down south. I think he's probably at his level.

He has been approached by Brentford as one of three possibilities. Cannot see them affording the compensation (remember Del is contracted for another 2 years!) and also cannot see him accepting an inferior job with an inferior club, as GB alludes to!

Just heard on the radio the new owner of the Bees is a lifelong fan who has made 900million in the city...I think he could afford the compo if he wants Del badly enough.

Just heard on the radio the new owner of the Bees is a lifelong fan who has made 900million in the city...I think he could afford the compo if he wants Del badly enough.

I posted a bit about their financial side on P&B. To sum it up... They have a rich shareholder who is putting £5 million into the club over 5 years. In return he either gets his money back after the 5 years from the fans who own the club or he buys their shares and wipes his debt.

And Sandy Clark as his no.2

European football for Saints,Dublin for pre season.

Clark has applied for Alloa job.Don`t think Alloa would be daft enough to give him a job.

No way do we want Calderwood. He can go to Alloa.

Callum Melville and Brooks Mileson are two names that come to mind.. Plenty money they said, and we all know how their stories panned out..:laugh::laugh::laugh: