Del to Brentford?

Derek Patterson

Your second point is very very true, and hopefully it will be reflected in any compensation we get should he go.

Unfortunately the compensation will more than likely come down to his contract and nothing else.

I don't think the team has gone stale under Del. He's taken some gambles with signings/loan signings this terms that didn't go well. At least he had a gamble. I genuinely think that if he stayed one more season at least we would progress, and he would get better offers. I just don't think he will stay, so I am thinking about what may happen next.

I'd agree with this but while the gambles haven't come off, Del has to take some of the blame for the signings. While it's to his credit that he's not blown 300K on a Paddy Connolly, there's more than a few of his signings that Saints fans wouldn't necessarily consider first team starters - Parkin, Taylor etc

If he had spoken to Brentford and wasn't interested, he would say so, rather than saying he has spoken to them but won't expand on it. That, to me, is as good as saying that he'll announce that he is leaving after the Midden game.

Yup that's my thinking as well. Given he's considering their offer, it's at the very least put out a "I'm available" signal to other clubs and while I don't think anyone of us would grudge him advancing his career (and like it or not his public image would increase at Brentford, if only cos he's in an English league) if the move doesn't come off he's in danger of damaging his reputation with the Saints fans - we'd just be waiting on the next offer to come in...

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say its now pretty much a done deal, its on BBC, ITV and Sky sports news. Like I said previous good luck to Del, so who do we get in to replace him?

Sheerin would be my choice. Its a gamble but he's got another year's experience under his belt and its as close as we could get to an inside promotion.

Failing that McGlynn at Raith would be a decent shout.

Can someone that's signed up to that Brentford website mention Charlie Adam in reply to the "he wiz pyoor shite in England and now he's braw in the sweatie league" brigade.

This looks like it's happening then doesn't it? :(

The argument that because Duberry didn't have success at Wycombe is total garbage and I hate when I hear crap like that. You only have to look at the players who have gone from the SPL/SFL and done brilliantly to see that there is no rule of thumb.

Stephen Dobbie couldn't get a game for Saints so we loaned him out to a Scottish THIRD division team - he now plays for a top Championshop team. Jason Scotland blasted in about 30 in league 1 and similar in the Championship after leaving us.

Chris Burke, Ross McCormack, Steven McLean, Caddis from Celtic, Stephen Pearson, Charlie Adam, Christophe Berra, the lad from Ross County,David Clarkson, Paul Quinn, David Marshall, Gavin Rae,James McPake, Gary Teale, David McNamee,Alan Gow blah blah - all guys who were 'ok' in Scotland but have gone down to shine in the Championship - a league (and cut) above Brentford. I mean, Alan gow was described as the next Geroge Best when playing down there but has never held down a place in any SPL team.

Typical arrogant English.

Sheerin would be my choice. Its a gamble but he's got another year's experience under his belt and its as close as we could get to an inside promotion.

Failing that McGlynn at Raith would be a decent shout.

Yip, Sheerin...why not eh. I like the fact that we have often made 'risky' appointments, as opposed to taking one of the conveyor belt managers as many of our opponents have over the years

I really hope it isn't Calderwood, would be a terrible appointment. If Doc doesn't go with him a Sheerin and Doc partnership would interest me. McGlynn would be my other choice, done a great job at Raith

Sadly i am unable to identify my source as they have slapped an injunction on me - but i can say for certain that it wasnt Bernie Winters that was in conversation :wink:

Doc and Sheerin appeals to me certainly. Sheerin has been great at Arbroath (AKA the retired Saints). Two guys with the right attitude IMO, which counts for a lot more than experience where half the names mentioned are always those who have tried and failed to succeed at handfuls of other Scottish clubs.

You either go for a manager who has experience and ultimately not succeeded, (usually at about 4 different SPL clubs), or you go for someone untested or mildly successful in a lower league.

Someone like Calderwood fills me with a feeling of dread. Do we want to be his next mediocre failure? Suppose we'd know what we were getting. :neutral:

Can't possibly undertand why anyone would want Sheerin. Granted he did well to win the third division but look at the players he has managed to bring in (his budget must have been pretty large). They should have won that league by a mile. I'd like to see how he does next season before we take a punt on him.

Edited by Broon

Why isn't he still there then?

Wouldnt be the worst appointment Calderwood in my eyes..

He guided Aberdeen and Dunfermline into europe and finished in the top 6 with Aberdeen for a good few seasons...Only concern is that it seems as though hes gone down hill since he left the dons.

Mcglynn seems the best shout..Proved himself with Raith, deserves his chance and im sure he would jump at the chance to manage an SPL Club.

Sheerin - No way..hes not ready yet.. needs another year.

Edited by Saint.Justin

Wouldnt be the worst appointment Calderwood in my eyes..

He guided Aberdeen into europe and finished in the top 6 for a good few seasons...Only concern is that it seems as though hes gone down hill since then.

Mcglynn seems the best shout..and im sure he would jump at the chance to manage an SPL Club.

Sheerin - No way..hes not ready yet.. needs another year.

I agree re Calderwood and Mcglynn, but I'm going to have to disagree in regards to Sheerin. McInnes had even less experience than Sheerin and look how that turned out? Add that to the fact Peanut will already have the respect of the players and I don't think it would be a bad appointment.

Add that to the fact Peanut will already have the respect of the players and I don't think it would be a bad appointment.

He had half a season to find his feet before the 'real' season began. Plus, you get away with much more in the first division that you do in the Premier. You are only one bad managerial mistake away from getting a humping in the SPL as Del has seen several times over the past 2 years.

I agree re Calderwood and Mcglynn, but I'm going to have to disagree in regards to Sheerin. McInnes had even less experience than Sheerin and look how that turned out? Add that to the fact Peanut will already have the respect of the players and I don't think it would be a bad appointment.

I'm a huge fan of Paul Sheerin, but I'm not convinced he'd be the right appointment for us at the moment. I think there are two big differences between McInnes when he got the job and Sheerin now: McInnes had only been at the club for a short amount of time and wasn't considered either "one of the lads" or any sort of cult hero; more importantly, McInnes' career took him to the top flight in England, Scotland and France, and he has a lot of contacts to show for it. Guys like Morris and Duberry came to Saints because of McInnes. Del's pulling power has been very impressive. He knows a lot of people in the game who have played at a very high level, and he appears to be very good at convincing them to come to Saints. More than anything, Del's time at the club has demonstrated how important it is to have strong contacts, and if he goes I'd be very keen to see us go for someone who shares that quality. Does Sheerin fit that description? I'm not so sure. If you look at Sheerin's signings for Arbroath, the bulk of them have been his own ex-team-mates from Saints. I also think that Del's personality and studious approach to the game won over Geoff Brown very early on - and that's why the club took quite an unusual decision in giving the job to someone with practically zero experience.

The Wizard has, of course, done an excellent job with Arbroath, but were it not for his legendary status here, I'm not convinced he'd even be on the radar. That said, if he does ever come back to Saints I'll be delighted for him and would love to see him do well for us. But more than anything I hope that we're not going to have a vacancy in the first place!