Alan Mannus

Dylan-Saints

Fantastic catch at the end. Me and my dad looked at each other and shared the thought of "Thank **** that wasn't Enckleman!" :LAUGH OUT LOUD:

I'd stick a wager that Enckleman made more catches from corners per game than Mannus has. I think that was about Mannus second. Fantastic catch though - maybe he should get off his line more often. With his bulk he should be a bully in that box but as Radford says he's very reluctant to come out. Made a huge difference today when he did and I'd argue it got us the 3pts as the Dundee player was going to get on the end of it.

Edited by Broon

• 1 month later...

Good for him. The feature video showed that he is a committed professional who has respectfully waited for his chances, and each time proved his worth and many doubters wrong.

Personally I think he's one of the most consistent keepers saints have had, and I hope he stays with saints for a long time.

Good for him. The feature video showed that he is a committed professional who has respectfully waited for his chances, and each time proved his worth and many doubters wrong.

Personally I think he's one of the most consistent keepers saints have had, and I hope he stays with saints for a long time.

Has he been in the squad long enough to say........he is one of the most consistent keepers we've ever had ?

Has he been in the squad long enough to say........he is one of the most consistent keepers we've ever had ?

well he must be close to a full season between the sticks now, and I don't recall him being to blame for many goals conceded or any games lost. Where Enks won us some vital points with outstanding games, he lost us more by self destructing.

Mannus gets a few votes for MOTM most weeks too.

With the exception of Forster who is a class act, what other keeper in Scotland would you rather have?

Randolph yeah. Not convinced by the others though. But then he's a saints player and for the vast majority of saints fans its all about negativity and criticism.

I apologise for openly praising one of our own players. Very non-WAP etiquette I guess.

Only by a certain few. Unfortunately these miserable few are making the forum worse and worse. They'd probably find something to moan about if they watched Barcelona every week

Yawn.

It's a forum. It's not moaning its having a sense of realism. If we can't debate the merits of our own players on a fans forum we'd be as well closing the virtual door and letting the spam bots take over! Frankly, their posts are vaguely more interesting than the constant preaching of the holier than thou super-fan fraction on here!

Edited by Broon

Never liked booing your own players. I always try to be fair when it comes to players.

I am much more hysterical and reactionary when it involves the manager. Its too easy to get carried away on a forum. Think about the discussions that we probably all have down the pub. Its the anonimity of a forum that makes it easy to be a "hater".

Having a sense of realism would have to include taking into account that you support ST JOHNSTONE. We are a diddy club with one of the smallest budgets and supports in the league.

Name me a more consistant goalkeeper within our budget.

I'm well aware of who I support and what our budget limitations are. That's why I am happy with Mannus. I just don't fall over myself saying he's a wonderful keeper when quite frankly he's just a 'good' goalkeeper. He does most things well but nothing exceptionally well. For Saints that's absolutely fine and he'll do a job.

However, when people claim he's the second best keeper in the league that's just plain deluded.

I'm in the camp that I'd rather have a keeper who makes mistakes but wins you games also. I enjoy watching a keeper who is capable of the 'wonder save'. We've been spoiled over the years with guys like Main, Rhodes, Encks etc who had the ability to produce something magical. But there's nothing wrong with being a steady keeper.

Edited by Broon

I'm just astonished that we have now had Mannus between the sticks for a year, performing excellently and consistently, and yet folk still seem to think we'd be better off with just about any other keeper in the SPL. Most of which command at least 5x the salary.

It's just a case of the grass always being greener. Well, if it so green, go and support another team with loads of debt and unsustainable budgets.

Mannus has been a good keeper for us. Only a couple of things he could be better at and that's getting down to shots sometimes and maybe being more commanding in his six yard box in keeping with what the players seem to say about his physicality. Other than that he's doing fine. As many have said, we are St Johnstone. We have to be realistic.

As for second best keeper - it's only opinions. Debate and discussion is fine but if it leads to arguments then there's no point. Be as well go and take the dog a walk.

Do any of us actually know what Saints pay players? We are still able to attract players from some of these bigger clubs. Like Robbo from UTD and Wright from Killie. Ross County must pay players in tesco vouchers and livestock for us to be able to attract their most influencial player who is bang in form and at a stage of his career when he needs to be thinking most about £££

I'm just astonished that we have now had Mannus between the sticks for a year, performing excellently and consistently, and yet folk still seem to think we'd be better off with just about any other keeper in the SPL. Most of which command at least 5x the salary.

It's just a case of the grass always being greener. Well, if it so green, go and support another team with loads of debt and unsustainable budgets.

5x their salary? I hardly think Alan Mannus is on 15 grand a year.

I love how balanced your posts are. You fail to understand that if someone say's they are happy with a player but does not think they are outstanding this somehow translates that they want us to replace him with GiGi Buffon.

Genius.