Saints V Aberdeen 30/1/13

glenrothes saintee

Just saw the Vine yellow card again. Myself and the ref were both wrong. It was a pretty clear trip by Magennis on Vine. Ridiculous.

His goal celebration more than made up for it i reckon. Ref was wrong, but I'd rather he got that wrong than some other result altering decision. apart from that one decision he had a decent game.

I thought the new guy looked really composed, and clearly had an intent to try and score on his debut - can't criticise that type of attitude. I think he'll be an asset for the rest of the season.

His goal celebration more than made up for it i reckon. Ref was wrong, but I'd rather he got that wrong than some other result altering decision. apart from that one decision he had a decent game.

I thought the new guy looked really composed, and clearly had an intent to try and score on his debut - can't criticise that type of attitude. I think he'll be an asset for the rest of the season.

felt really sorry for Vine. When we were all shouting "cheat, cheat" at the ref, Rowan thought we were having a go at him and he looked quite upset. Hope someone put him right. I presume they did given his reaction to the goal.

I will say this again (and again, and again), Ando is the best Centre Half we have at the club

I think I agree but I dont think he is the most consistent. Am I the only one and I think I am that is concerned at the amount of goals we have conceded from cross balls this year? That should be a basic function for a centre half, defending cross balls.

I think I agree but I dont think he is the most consistent. Am I the only one and I think I am that is concerned at the amount of goals we have conceded from cross balls this year? That should be a basic function for a centre half, defending cross balls.

I would have said the onus is on the full backs to stop the crosses coming in.

On our defence it is worth noting that we actually have the 3rd best defensive record in the SPL behind Celtic and Hearts

I would have said the onus is on the full backs to stop the crosses coming in.

On our defence it is worth noting that we actually have the 3rd best defensive record in the SPL behind Celtic and Hearts

I agree that some of the onus is on others to stop crosses coming in but they wont stop every cross. Last night was a prime example. Callum dived in but when the ball comes across it goes right past McCracken without any effort to deal with it. I can almost forgive that one because it was a very good ball but there are many examples, Hearts and Utd to name but two where some basic defending would have seen us win those games.

Frazer Wright is clearly our best centre half, solid and brave, an absolute hero in my eyes.

I'd personally rather have Anderson beside him than McCracken. Ando is liable to rash challenges and you're guaranteed one poor performance a month but McCracken gives me heart attacks on the ball and most of the crosses into our box sees him losing his man, very poor in that respect

I agree with the parts i've copied

Yup. He's certainly cut back on the "lunges" these days. But watch the highlights of the Dundee United game at Tannadice this season, McCracken loses his man every time, since then I've made a point of watching him at set pieces and balls in the box. And quite frankly he's a liability in these situations. Anderson is not

Well I agreed that Anderson is the better player, and you could well be right RE McCracken and marking, but I think he is a decent back-up for a club of saints' size. Wright and Ando are a good defence definitely

Yeah McCrackens a brilliant back up to have for a club our size, hugely experienced and good enough to play SPL football. But Anderson's slightly better.

In truth we'd have a central defender alongside Wright who was reliable, strong and pacey. But we'll never have a player like that

Frazer Wright is clearly our best centre half, solid and brave, an absolute hero in my eyes.

I'd personally rather have Anderson beside him than McCracken. Ando is liable to rash challenges and you're guaranteed one poor performance a month but McCracken gives me heart attacks on the ball and most of the crosses into our box sees him losing his man, very poor in that respect

McCracken IS Bombscare.

Martin O'Neill made Bobo Balde a Champions League player and he was no better than Ando!

Ando never pretends to be Messi. I am happy to see him slog it into row Z every week, (exactly what my old man used to say made John Greig a legend although he hated Rangers) and to be honest I think he is even madder than Wright and would have already ran through the brick wall before Wright arrived...

Apart from Miller I dont like to cricise a Saintee but McCracken is boufin' and only really good enough to watch playing at centre half in a Dundde jersey... against us.

Dave Mackay is worthy of his extension and the decison not to give Calum Davidson another year is a another weaknes Lomas has exposed.

I will say this again (and again, and again), Ando is the best Centre Half we have at the club

I agree with you on most things Ed, but not on this. You go too far. Ando is gash. Cracks isn't much better, my granny's walking stick would make a better centre half than either of them, or indeed both of them were you to tie them togather in a three legged race type thing.

Edited by Jimmy Wallace

Anderson and Wright are the best no doubt. Wright shades it and has a great attitude. I thought when McCraken arrived he was going to be a great signing but he's been a bit disappointing imo. Although he deserves much respect for coming back early and playing with a broken face!

Wright is our most effective centre half no doubt. You only have to look at the number of goals we lost from crosses, set pieces etc, when he was out last season as evidence.

Ando has regressed this season but I'd still much prefer him in there to McCracken. For such a big guy, I've never seen someone be bullied and pushed off the ball so easily. He also seems to struggle to get off the ground and constantly seems to get caught on the back foot/appears hesitant to actually attack the ball. Throw in the number of times he seems to get caught under the ball at free kicks, crosses etc, along with his shocking distribution that puts us under pressure constantly (yes, I know Ando and Wright are guilty of this as well) and I think he's probably our weakest link.