St Johnstone V St Mirren 11/1/14 Ko 1500

rik2304

And yet, not one match report nor one pundit  mentioned any "deflection" Maybe like me, they are also all blind??

I doubt they actually paid much attention to be honest. You simply cannot get the ball to dip so wildly, within 16 yards of goal, with the kicking action he made. Only the defender will likely know if it dipped unless somebody studies the videos intensely

And yet, not one match report nor one pundit  mentioned any "deflection" Maybe like me, they are also all blind??

You aren't blind, you just didn't notice the hard-to-spot deflection.

Remember that journalists and pundits don't actually watch St. Johnstone games. After Butcher's red at dundee utd, the bbc website referred to it as a "taclkle", and the Scotsman called it something similar, though I can't remember what. He pulled the May's shirt. 

One (admittedly minor) incident amongst hundreds

You aren't blind, you just didn't notice the hard-to-spot deflection.

Remember that journalists and pundits don't actually watch St. Johnstone games. After Butcher's red at dundee utd, the bbc website referred to it as a "taclkle", and the Scotsman called it something similar, though I can't remember what. He pulled the May's shirt. 

One (admittedly minor) incident amongst hundreds

Spot on mate...half the time Spencey gets the scorer wrong or has to rely on the tannoy for the correct info...definite deflection if you missed it you are  indeed blind....should have gone to specsavers.

from where I was seated, about 20 yards away from the laddie, it was a clean strike. Not the slightest hint of a deflection. May simply looked uo and curled his foot round the ball and popped it up and over the haplesss keeper.. :laugh:

You had the better view and therefore it was an even better wicked shot from such a distance and angle..long MAY it continue.

Never a deflection.

Am I wrong in thinking that the modern footballs can behave like that if struck on the valve?  I understand that the likes of Bale and Ronaldo line the ball up to strike them either just above or just below the valve, to increase the topspin on the ball.  Admittedly, from open play that would be just as much luck as a deflection off the defender.

One of the pundits suggested that it might have spun up off his standing leg too.  Another possibility.  

I can't fathom why people think it hit the defender though, it just didn't.

Am I wrong in thinking that the modern footballs can behave like that if struck on the valve?  I understand that the likes of Bale and Ronaldo line the ball up to strike them either just above or just below the valve, to increase the topspin on the ball.  Admittedly, from open play that would be just as much luck as a deflection off the defender.

Ronaldo can do that on an incredibly regular basis. Not once has anyone ever managed to get it to dip so much from within the box though. That combined with the way he struck the ball makes it fairly obvious to me its taken a deflection, other people might be so blinded by St Johnstone tinted goggles they just can't see that though

Only one way to settle the (was there a deflection or not) debate, as TV Cameras were not at the races, sorry Football.

Ask the scorer?  But like any decent striker, what does everyone on here think His answer is gonna be?

THERE RESTS THIS TOPIC/QUESTION.

But lets all be honest, like TW, "that adds another zero to his transfer value"

Well done Stevie May, you sent us home happy and proud to be a Saintee.

My buddy who is a buddies fan say that Naismith says it didn't touch him.

I find that statement just as meaningless as oldmoresensible's assertions, as I'm sure you well know.

Doesn't matter though, as it did hit his back, and defenders would prefer not to admit it anyway. 

Well, would it have enough dip to stop it flying over the bar then?  

I thought the same as you, but there was one down south a few weeks ago - trundling towards the keeper and took a deflection and rolled into the corner.  The shot would have gone in had the keeper not been there, but he just had to pick it up.  It was given as an OG.

Rest assured, had this been in the EPL, we would have had scientific evidence to prove it one way or another.  I blame Neil Doncaster.

I thought the same as you, but there was one down south a few weeks ago - trundling towards the keeper and took a deflection and rolled into the corner.  The shot would have gone in had the keeper not been there, but he just had to pick it up.  It was given as an OG.

Interesting, will bear that in mind

I blame Neil Doncaster.

And the tories