Motm Saints 2 - Hibs 0 - 21/3/14

ex-montrosesaintee

MOTM Saints 2 - Hibs 0 - 21/3/14  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Solid 3 points, should have scored more goals, and Hibs were an embarrassment to the game of football.

Must say I thought Dunne, O'Halloran and MacDonald were all poor today, very poor.

David Wotherspoon does everything MacDonald is supposed to do 10 times better and offers some brilliant creativity too. Head and shoulders above everyone today, despite being kicked, tripped, elbowed stamped on and headbutted for 88 minutes.

Some of MacLean's misses were comical, but their keeper was the only one close to pass marks for them today. Some excellent stops.

MacGivern makes Danny Grainger look like a world class LB.

Edited by montrosesaintee

In the grand scheme of things I tbought O'Halloran was/is a MOM contender as were Fraser & Spoons. O'Halloran tried to make things happen and had a positive contribution. No sure why Dunne's getting it tight either? few errors but decent game too. Fraser for me today..just did nearly everything Wright (apart from early header over Mannus)

I gave it to O’Halloran because of his all-round performance, also for his efforts to be creative and use of the ball. Spoony was a close second. Its amazing how football is a game of opinions as Mortosesaintee said he was poor. But I suppose that what makes it a great game.Top 6 again great achievement let’s hope this bunch of youngsters stay together and get a chance to develop into a top 3 team. We can all dream.

Spoony just edges it from O'Halloran for me. Spoony was excellent today, Hibs couldn't live with him and resorted to kicking him off the park. Spoony has responded well to being dropped, his final ball into the box has improved noticeably today and when he came on against County last week.

have to agree with that MoM by a mile.

Good result and a decent performance which got better as the match wore on, against a very poor Hibs team.  Frustrating to not win by far more.  Also a poor Hibs crowd in terms of numbers and noise.

Mannus - one save all game from FW's header back. Good distribution mostly

G Miller - poor

F Wright and Anderson - both excellent, as dominant in the air as I've seen for a while from  2 Saints centre backs. Won everything and with good distance on headers

D Mackay - pass marks

Wotherspoon - great trickery, quality balls in. Towards the end he was toying with the Hibs full back.

Dunne - did ok, improvement on last week, touch not great and Hibs CM looked to be in charge first half, but still involved in everything and throws himself into every challenge

MacDonald - pass marks

O'Halloran - great touch and has genuine pace, likes to run with the ball. Saints improved greatly when he moved inside

McLean - didn't think it was his best game but still worked hard and occasional great flicks and lay offs

May - deserved a goal, wanted to come deep a lot to get on the ball. Put in a couple of great balls and some good passes. Signs he would be quite effective playing as a slightly deeper striker with a teammate playing higher up as he would be far more involved

C Millar - did well again coming off the bench, looks hungry to fight for his place

Croft - only 5 minutes or so on park

MOTM - Spoony

Good result and a decent performance which got better as the match wore on, against a very poor Hibs team.  Frustrating to not win by far more.  Also a poor Hibs crowd in terms of numbers and noise.

Mannus - one save all game from FW's header back. Good distribution mostly

G Miller - poor

F Wright and Anderson - both excellent, as dominant in the air as I've seen for a while from  2 Saints centre backs. Won everything and with good distance on headers

D Mackay - pass marks

Wotherspoon - great trickery, quality balls in. Towards the end he was toying with the Hibs full back.

Dunne - did ok, improvement on last week, touch not great and Hibs CM looked to be in charge first half, but still involved in everything and throws himself into every challenge

MacDonald - pass marks

O'Halloran - great touch and has genuine pace, likes to run with the ball. Saints improved greatly when he moved inside

McLean - didn't think it was his best game but still worked hard and occasional great flicks and lay offs

May - deserved a goal, wanted to come deep a lot to get on the ball. Put in a couple of great balls and some good passes. Signs he would be quite effective playing as a slightly deeper striker with a teammate playing higher up as he would be far more involved

C Millar - did well again coming off the bench, looks hungry to fight for his place

Croft - only 5 minutes or so on park

MOTM - Spoony

Agree almost word for word.

Maybe I'm being harsh on O'Halloran. He did show some real purpose going forwards, and is due 90% of the credit for the 2nd goal - hardly McGivern's fault it went in the net.

I just felt that with Hibs being so so poor, we gave the ball away far too cheaply in midfield and MacDonald, O'Halloran and Dunne were the culprits time and time again. Having thought about it though, O'Halloran at least gave it away trying to beat his man, whereas Dunne and MacDonald just gave it away for free.

Dunne showed some class too at times mind you, but against a better side the slack side of his game would have cost us.

I watched MacDonald quite carefully today, to try and find any redeeming features to his game. I didn't.

Edited by montrosesaintee

A few contenders but if Hibs players were included I'd pick their keeper, he was unbelievable.

Thought Ando and Frazer were superb.

After 30 mins in o'halloran and Wotherspoon took charge and absolutely destroyed them and it was really enjoyable to watch. Some of the trickery and deliveries were superb. Stevie May also had some great efforts and passes/crosses.

Overall though I thought Ando was key to the win as we had solid foundations to build on. They threw lots into the box and he felt with them with ease.

Montrose, you have Gary Miller's name down twice and no Gary McDonald, i know it's only a typo. McDonald had one of his better games, wouldn't want him robbed of a vote or two.

Sorry about that - damn phone autocorrected it and I didn't notice, I can't change it now.  They are in shirt number order, so the first Gary Miller should be MacDonald.  Apologies for that.

Sorry about that - damn phone autocorrected it and I didn't notice, I can't change it now.  They are in shirt number order, so the first Gary Miller should be MacDonald.  Apologies for that.

Don`t worry about as no one will vote for the 2 worst Saints on the park.

Nobody played poorly today, O Halloran should start every game, Played so well against United but is dropped for County last week, Now plays today and was probably the best player on the park

Wotherspoon was showing signs of Liam Craig from years gone by, playing on the wing but coming inside throughout the match, final ball was more consistent and has a real desire to keep going. 

You could see how frustrated Craig was to be playing in that poor a Hibernian side, easily their best player. Still think he will return to us one day.....

Must say I thought Dunne, O'Halloran and MacDonald were all poor today, very poor.

You and I must have been at a different game.....O'Halloran was everything we have been crying out for...a player that will drive forward with the ball when space opens up in front of him, moving us from a stagnant midfield position into an attacking position with a burst of pace.....he has two good feet and is comfortable on the ball.....he faces his man up then takes him on......he was MoM for me by a good bit

Mention for Frazer who, apart from his scary nearly OG moment was excellent....GREAT block to stop what looked like a Hibs equaliser