Book Of The Final?

sleepless

Reading the threads on here, it is obvious there is a truly enormous groundswell of affection for the club and there are many supporters whose dedication to the team is remarkable. It gives the lie to all those people who say Perth isn't a fitba town and St Johnstone have a low fan base. We've got people coming home from around the world for the match. There is some truly moving discussion of family and friends who dreamed of such a day and didn't live long enough to see it. They will see the final through our eyes, all of them.

I've wondered about pulling together a book of various reminiscences and thoughts from members of the forum (and wider), to come out soon after the final. This would be published on-demand through Lulu Press. I've used them a few times for University research because it works out cheaper than photocopying. A couple of hundred pages A4, black and white, properly paperback bound with colour covers, would retail probably around £6 or so. That's the cost price. If we added a couple of quid to the price, profits could then go to the club. I'd obviously open up the accounts to verify that. The club could even have access to the Lulu account if they wanted.

Would people be interested in that?

1. Would you contribute your recollections to me via PM so I can collate into a book.

2. Would you buy such a book?

The good thing about on-demand publishing is that you don't need upfront cash. People order online and a book is printed for them and sent about a week later.

Any thoughts? Is it worth pursuing?

Yes. Great idea. From what has been posted on here already you could have a wealth of material. Chips may be able to help with photos.

A book of some form is an excellent idea and i like the idea of trying to get some quotes from past players.Time certainly is a factor and would be willing to help out in anyway if needed

I'll buy one regardless of the outcome of the final.

Got 4 Saints books on my shelf but the most recent one is BWP which is totally comprehensive but stops right on the cusp of the 3rd in the SPL/League Cup final/second Euro adventure era. Would absolutely love the club (or anyone) to publish a history of the past 20 years.

I think this is a great idea, and know a few other clubs' fans have done something similar over the years.

Just wondering, timing-wise, would it be best to wait until after the final so that it can include people's photos and stories from the final, and then have it on sale for the start of next season?

I think this is a great idea, and know a few other clubs' fans have done something similar over the years.

Just wondering, timing-wise, would it be best to wait until after the final so that it can include people's photos and stories from the final, and then have it on sale for the start of next season?

I lived in Birnam in 1999 and Birnam & Dunkeld produced a book full of photos (not stories) of all aspects of the community for the turn of the millennium. It's still on my bookshelf and is a reminder of when my children were young, but to have something Saints related to read, glance at, or just to have would be incredible and of much more worth to me. Some of the stories on here about folks whose dad have passed away and missed this time or how far they're travelling or what it means to them would be great (and I tend not to use superlatives).

As sleepless said: 'A couple of hundred pages A4, black and white, properly paperback bound with colour covers, would retail probably around £6 or so. That's the cost price. If we added a couple of quid to the price, profits could then go to the club. I'd obviously open up the accounts to verify that. The club could even have access to the Lulu account if they wanted.'

A couple of hundred pages A4 size could let lots of people contribute. No view on whether before or after the final, although it'd be a bit of a downer if we lost (which we won't).

First copy presented to the Broons!

---------------

Maybe. I think what I'll do is start to gather the material and see how it looks in a few weeks' time.

Okay, looking to kick this off. Following is a list of questions. You don't need to answer all of them, just the ones you're interested in. Cut and paste the questions into a PM to me with your answers and I'll collate.

If you have any photos FOR WHICH YOU HAVE THE COPYRIGHT and want to share them, let me know and I'll give you my email address. Photos won't come out pin-sharp in the book because that would require top quality printing, but they'll be okay.

And if there's anyone you know, either on this forum or outside, who you think could contribute, let them know about this thread. If anyone wants a Word document of the questions, let me know and I'll email it to you.

Thanks in advance

THE QUESTIONS

TECHNICAL STUFF

What is your real name

Do you want this to be revealed in the book?

What is your WAP name, if applicable?

Do you want this to be revealed in the book?

Which name do you wish to be known as in the book?

ABOUT YOU

Are you male or female?

What is your age?

Do you want your age to be revealed in the book?

Where are you from originally?

Where do you live now?

What is your occupation?

Is there anyone – family, friend, former player – who is no longer with us but who you would love to have taken to the Final? Who? Why?

YOUR EARLY MEMORIES

When did you first see St Johnstone play?

Who first took you to games?

Is there a history of supporting St Johnstone in your family? Grandparents, parents, brothers and sisters etc?

Do you have any particular Muirton Park memories?

Do you have any particular McDiarmid Park memories?

What is your greatest experience as a St Johnstone supporter?

What is your lowest point as a St Johnstone supporter?

Who is your favourite player of all time?

Why is he your favourite?

Who is the club’s greatest manager?

Did you ever give up on St Johnstone? If so, describe. How long? Did you support someone else? What brought you back to St Johnstone?

CURRENT DAYS

How often do you go to matches nowadays?

What does getting to the Cup Final mean to you?

Top six for the past three seasons. Cup semi finals. Now a Final. Is this the best ever era for St Johnstone?

I wonder if Brian

I'll buy one regardless of the outcome of the final.

Got 4 Saints books on my shelf but the most recent one is BWP which is totally comprehensive but stops right on the cusp of the 3rd in the SPL/League Cup final/second Euro adventure era. Would absolutely love the club (or anyone) to publish a history of the past 20 years.

Might be worth asking Brian Doyle about.

https://twitter.com/briandoyle77

The book is an excellent idea. Do we have to answer all your questions? Can we put in our own wee saints final story?I would like to mention my brother who is no longer with us, he passed away when he was only 18 and an avid saints fan...he had a sort of last request before he passed and it relates to saints ever winning a Scottish cup final. I would love to see it in black and white on record.

Thanks

hoodlum (and blueheaven, who made the same point earlier), I'm coming to the same view. I'm also working my way through relevant threads on here and copying them into Word to filter and edit. I've gone through 600 pages already and reckon when I've done everything there'll be in excess of 4000 pages to work through... That's not quite as bad as it sounds, but it's still a lot of editing.

Regarding anything from old posts, I'll be PMing people in due course to ask for permission. There's some great stuff. It's going to be good....

My partner is best friends with Alex McDonald's Son and daughter in law. Ex hearts n rangers too. ;) always has a story to tell me on a night out in Kirkintilloch ;) although I have always been pissed. I could tell u a story of when I fell into all the trophies and smashed a couple ;((( Lovely man who's family are great too;)