Saints V Dundee United 19/04/14

slf

Have to disagree about Armstrong. Looked like a player and was involved in everything good they did. Gauld was non existent and GMS showed (very few) glimpses of the player who has tormented us in the past

Don't think Gauld has kicked a ball since all the hype about him. Out of the 4 young players I think May has been the most consistent all season.

Superb performance today, the DABs weren't even close to us. Their 'young stars' were totally outclassed, with Gauld and Armstrong almost anonymous.

What about Ando's left foot volley shortly before his goal? Was MacKay right when he said Ando was left footed but didn't realise it?

O'Halloran was different class today. He's going to be some signing for us.

ooooft some strike http://www.youproxytube.com/browse.php?u=qiN00HlzTaY6rVAB8oeEzDhbAtUqBr8fHhpt9YzaaFJ42N%2F7nzs%3D&b=29

Unlike Aberdeen, I don't think there is a single Saints fan who expects us to win the final. To suggest otherwise is a bit demeaning in my opinion.

Each of is is thrilled to be there, and hopes that we can somehow win it, but not once have I seen a hint of don-like arrogance or assumption amongst our ranks.

Maybe ,was he better than May?

I don't think so. Said in a previous post that May was in a different class to their 'young stars'. I thought May's first touch was exceptional all day yesterday. A couple of poor (greedy) decisions, but apart from that a genuinely top drawer performance.

Edited by montrosesaintee

When we talk about O'Halloran cutting the ball back yes there are times when he needs to lift his head. But there is also times when forwards need to attack the front post where he is firing the ball. Like many others I looked up his past on the net. When he was getting games in reserves and on the bench when Bolton were in the Premiership the forwards he was playing with were world class, Anelka, Helguson, Elmander and Sturridge. I believe from the age of 16 and especially when Owen Coyle was the manager he would have been taught to hit the bye line and fire it across the goals for Anelka, Sturidge etc to attack. The cut back can be sorted out on the training ground. Just out of a point of interest it is only very occasionally we hear supporters complaining when May tries to score from impossible angles rather than cut the ball back. At Bolton Sheffield Utd and Tranmere he played wide right where his speed and crossing was most effective. Yesterday again he was most effective when he was coming down the right

Remember cuptie talking about Steven Anderson in the build up to the semi-final laughing at his jumping up and punching the air in 1960's bobby Charlton style goal celebration?

Do you think ando was at it yesterday by any chance...????

http://il.proxfree.com/permalink.php?url=s54aaHA%2FaGsaD5vHs0QZLcUclS%2FcUxrnNZwEMCiA0I92CkhQxBMIUwnhMdS23B3gjzFvTL0VF5OE6QuicWX9gg%3D%3D&bit=1

Not liking the over confidence on here today. The cup final will be a different ball game and as Saints fans we should have nothing counted for. Great three points but nothing more.

This is fair enough but you can go too far the other way. Before there were a few people saying things like "just happy to be there". That's a crap attitude as well. You want to have the balance right between believing you can do it, and not being over confident. Dundee Utd are still the bookies favourites so I don't think there's much danger of complacency from us.

Edited by monkfish

When Saints were promoted it took them years to beat United, and there was a definite feeling that United really 'liked' playing them....there is no worse feeling in football than facing a team who actually 'like' playing you. In the last 3 meetings the boot is now firmly on the other foot, Saints are looking forward to facing United at the moment. Saturday was a real warning shot that Saints will not sit back and admire silky skills, they will press hard all over the pitch and make room for a few skills of their own.

For 3 consecutive games now United have been painfully misfiring, largely due to the management trying to give Gauld and Soutar game time to return them to the devastating form of the autumn. I suspect Jackie might bin this idea very soon, if he has not already, as the cup final formation and tactics will require a serious concentration of minds.

That holiday in the sun for the boys is not looking like such a great idea now :)

Don't think it was the holiday Gary, I would like to think JM is genuinely trying to keep their feet on the ground.  The holiday was to remove them from the growing hype during the last transfer window, but their form had slumped before then, injury and poor form has kept them out of the team but now they are both back and looking to pick up their form.  Ryan Dow has played very well in place of Gauld, and Curtis Good did a reasonable job at centre back, (we won 8 consecutive games) and  Shaun Dillon did nothing wrong there either!  I am hoping Good returns before the cup final he makes a huge difference, but I'm unsure of his current fitness, all I know is he is back at the club and training.

GMS and Gauld really didn't look fit on Saturday. There's no doubting their quality and potential though, and I will still fear what they are capable of in the final.

While I'm sure that JM has managed them the way he has for all the right reasons, I really don't think in hindsight it has worked.

I thought the whole united team looked tired at the weekend, and yet saints, with what must surely be a record number of games (for saints I mean) under their belts looked fresh and eager.

I'm pretty sure United won't look tired on 17th May though.