Stevie May

Hardolez21

I can see why Stevie May is not in the squad, but one thing I cant work out is why Callum McGregor is in there.

The lad has only played a handful of decent games for Celtic. The likes of Stuart Armstrong who has played at a consistently high standard for the past three/four years must be absolutely baffled at that decision. I dont buy into the "Oh we need him in the U21's squad" either. Lets be honest International U21 game are pointless.

What is apparent is that Strachan is not impressed by the quality of the SPFL Premiership, outwith those playing for Celtic.

I can see why Stevie May is not in the squad, but one thing I cant work out is why Callum McGregor is in there.

The lad has only played a handful of decent games for Celtic. The likes of Stuart Armstrong who has played at a consistently high standard for the past three/four years must be absolutely baffled at that decision. I dont buy into the "Oh we need him in the U21's squad" either. Lets be honest International U21 game are pointless.

What is apparent is that Strachan is not impressed by the quality of the SPFL Premiership, outwith those playing for Celtic.

Well you can say that McGregor has played, and scored, at a higher level than Armstrong this season. McGregor was getting rave reviews for his performances last season and he seems to have carried that through to this season with Celtic. When playing a 451 he could be a very important player for Scotland.

Well you can say that McGregor has played, and scored, at a higher level than Armstrong this season. McGregor was getting rave reviews for his performances last season and he seems to have carried that through to this season with Celtic. When playing a 451 he could be a very important player for Scotland.

I'm not denying McGregor has the potential to go on to become a very good player, but at this moment in time Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Jack are just two players from the top of my head who have far more experience of first team football. Both have played in European football. Both have played in Cup Finals, yet McGregor who has only played a few decent games for Notts County and Celtic suddenly gets a call up before either of them. I find that strange.

I'm not denying McGregor has the potential to go on to become a very good player, but at this moment in time Stuart Armstrong and Ryan Jack are just two players from the top of my head who have far more experience of first team football. Both have played in European football. Both have played in Cup Finals, yet McGregor who has only played a few decent games for Notts County and Celtic suddenly gets a call up before either of them. I find that strange.

I agree Aitchy with the point you're making. But I also think that inclusion of Andy Roberston to the Starting XI last year proves that Strachan doesn't have an Old Firm bias (Wallace would've been easier to pick). I've been happy with Strachan's inclusions including the likes of Burke, Anya and Hanley so I'm willing to wait and see on McGregor

I agree with this but I don't think it is actually Strachan. It seems like it is in the Scotland's manager's contract to pick whoever is the latest Old Firm hero!!

They play in diifferent positions. Am I missing something?

Scotland traditionally play with one up front. Is May at this time better than Naismith or Fletcher? Rhodes has not even had a call up this time.

Saints fans are hilarious.

Rhodes doesn't get called up now because he keeps pulling out "injured" and is magically fit for Blackburn the following Sat.

Your other points about why May isn't included were correct as well.

I don't see where May fits into the Scotland team at all. Our striker spends 70% of the time with his back to goal.

Edited by PerthSeany

I'd rather have seen Arfield than McGregor tbh. Ones proven at English Championship level, and was a stand out for Burnley against Chelsea, while the other is an average performer in a Scottish Premiership side who dominate possession.

Yep, or Tom Cairney, who was Blackburn player of the year last season. Both have been playing regularly at an arguably higher level than Mcgregor for a couple of seasons now.

Yep, or Tom Cairney, who was Blackburn player of the year last season. Both have been playing regularly at an arguably higher level than Mcgregor for a couple of seasons now.

Bryson at Derby has done well as well. Different position to Mcgregor though

Edited by PerthSeany

I have to agree that McGregor hasn't done nearly enough to merit an inclusion yet. He had a decent year last season - but in the English third tier. He's started off well this season - but with the best will in the world his goals against the Icelandic side in the Champions League and the one against Saints weren't exactly the trademark of a world class talent. The one in Iceland and the one at McDiarmid were goalkeeping howlers.

He's looked decent so far for Celtic but they are a side that dominate possession and it's always easy for attacking players like him to stand out in that team. And as said above, there are guys in our league and in the top two leagues down south in similar positions who have been left out.

I think the comparisons with May are relevant even though they don't play the same positions. He isn't going to get a game in the full team in this match - but he'll get that full international experience which May has continually been passed over for.

I think the question is what would have happened had May banged in 27 for Celtic last season. I think we all know the answer.

Who are you leaving at home if you include May though? We never take a lot of strikers in these national games.

I'm not actually saying May *should* be in there. I'm really just saying that McGregor probably shouldn't at this time. He may well turn out to be a key player down the line but I don't think he's earned it yet.

I also actually think it's a mistake naming only three strikers in a squad like that. We always used to take four. Gives you very little room for manouevre to change things up or if there's an injury issue or the game develops in a particular way.

I don't agree with this anymore than you...for Mcgregor to get an immediate call up I can only think that Strachan is going on form...especially as his recent goals were against the strongest opposition ie: Champions League and Scottish Cup Winners! I suppose playing for Celtic would also give him an advantage over Stevie May, but I cannot see why it should, however as long as May continues his goalscoring Strachan will not be able to ignore him.

Maybe we should start a Stevie May for Scotland....just like our previous campaigh Biscuits for Scotland! :laugh:

So yeah he has scored a couple of goals so far, but all I read from that is he has played about a 10 games for Celtic so far.  Mayzo has scored about 70 goals over various levels the last few years and has yet to receive a call up.  Whilst i'm not saying McGregor isn't a decent player, the facts remain, if he didn't play for Celtic he would be nowhere near the national set up this early.  Its a nonsense.

He was called up  :confused:

And Mays in the Under 21's alongside Armstrong, McGinn, Gauld and Christie. A few promising players in there

Yes im aware. Thank for pointing it out.

I didn't say he should be in ahead of of the tic boy.

It was an example  of how much success May might need before he gets a sniff of the squad as hes not at Gordos ex employers.

Yes im aware. Thank for pointing it out.

I didn't say he should be in ahead of of the tic boy.

It was an example  of how much success May might need before he gets a sniff of the squad as hes not at Gordos ex employers.

May will need to score 20+ to get called up, tbh. Naismith, Fletcher, Rhodes, McCormack and Martin are all ahead of him, and probably rightfully if you view the Championship the way most people do. Probably another one or two I've forgotten about aswell. I imagine if he wasn't a Saints player we'd be slating his potential call up in the same way we'd slate Pawlett or Boyds