The Rise Of Artificial Surfaces

Edstar101

Simple Question...  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

After a few clubs laid them a few years back, and then many were lifted and replaced again with grass, we seem to be witnessing a move again towards clubs installing artificial pitches.

As far as I understand, groundsmen say they require more upkeep than grass, so that is not a reason for them. Fair enough, they provide a consistent, level playing surface throughout the season, but if, as many players and managers state, these artificial pitches are not good for older players and players recovering from injuries, then surely it is not a surface that should be used for top level football and therefore should not be allowed.

I know that a lot of top clubs are installing the hybrid versions, and that they are the next level, but in reality the cost is way out of reach of almost every club in Scotland.

I also realise that they can be used as an income generator, and that that is obviously attractive to clubs.

I hate watching games on them...always feels like a friendly!!

The hybrid is a grass surface with only about  7% artificial grass, Falkirks first pitch at the Falkirk stadium was a hybrid pitch, probably out of reach of most clubs I Scotland outside the old firm.

The new parks like Killie and Falkirk are top range. Sure I saw a figure of about £400k.  I think the SRU are even playing an international at Rugby Park this year, The fabric is quite long to allow a full stud.

The fact that the clubs are all training and playing on the parks is the big bonus Falkirk have saved a fortune by moving form the University to their own stadium. The downside is that like everything that is new you will only find out the effect that it has on players in a few years time.

3G/4G/Hybrid is the way to go for sure, If teams can afford it then its a no brainer really, I know this is not directly saints related but if they had replaced the main pitch with an astro then there would have been a place to train every day of the week that they would also be using to play on so should know every bobble and blip on the pitch

3G/4G/Hybrid is the way to go for sure, If teams can afford it then its a no brainer really, I know this is not directly saints related but if they had replaced the main pitch with an astro then there would have been a place to train every day of the week that they would also be using to play on so should know every bobble and blip on the pitch

Do you have to plug in your Hybrid turf to one of those machines at Broxden park n ride ?

Compared to a decent grass pitch, artificial is a non starter.  Unfortunately, in this country we more often than not, fail to provide a decent grass surface.

Surely no one would prefer watching our mudbath from a few seasons ago, to a good quality artificial pitch.

I must admit, I was quite impressed by the Falkirk pitch last week, and I've always been against these in the past.

Always makes me laugh when you hear Scottish managers complaining about artificial pitches because the ball doesn't quite move right or bounce right - yet they seem to have no problem with the fact that for three quarters of the season loads of our "real pitches" are in an absolute mess with barely any grass on them. Does the ball move perfectly on those?

If artificial surfaces became the norm, teams would soon adjust and get used to them. And it would save clubs (especially smaller clubs) a fortune if they were getting less postponements and also had pitches that they could hire out as community facilities.

It's definitely the future and clubs are going to gradually head in that direction. Down my neck of the woods in the south of England, Maidstone United were told they couldn't get promoted last season because of their artificial pitch - but this season the FA have done a U-turn. So attitudes are slowly changing. Incidentally, the Maidstone situation was doubly farcical because Maidstone have probably the best stadium and facilities in their division and their pitch hosted one of the best games of football I saw last season.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really liked the look of the surface at Killie last night. Made the game a bit faster and would certainly work well for a counter attacking team.

It looks similar to the one at Spartans which ive played on a few times. 

If it is the same or similar to that then they are much better than the old ones, such as Mcd.

Very good to play on. Beats the muddy winter pitch with massive bobbles. 

Still get the usual astro burns though. 

It looks similar to the one at Spartans which ive played on a few times. 

If it is the same or similar to that then they are much better than the old ones, such as Mcd.

Very good to play on. Beats the muddy winter pitch with massive bobbles. 

Still get the usual astro burns though. 

My laddie trains on the astro at Spartans twice a week....had a hellish astro burn on Monday