Sandemans

sleepless

I used to work in the Sandeman back when it was a library, so I was interested to see what it's like as a pub. It's very disappointing. They only use the ground floor. Behind the wall as you go in the door is a very large and elaborate staircase and a huge upper floor. There's also a huge basement.

Does anyone know what those spaces are now used for?

I believe some of basement is the cellar and upstairs is pretty much derleict now.

I know upstairs definitely isn't a trap for people with poor hearing though.

I'm friends with one of the managers so I'll ask him when I next see him as he will know more than me.

Edited by PerthSeany

• 2 weeks later...

Not as many as there used to be. Smoking ban not the only reason (and pubs are better for the smoking ban, in my opinion). Cheap supermarket booze, young folk not going out as much, or not til late on. Folk having different lifestyles and different priorities. Plus it's too dear to go out all the time when other costs are spiralling - rents, fuel, wages not rising at same time = less disposable income.

Also, the "superpubs" in Perth - Foundry, Sportsters, Sandeman and That Bar put paid to many of the smaller ones. That Bar is shite now though and only opens at night, and Sportsters is no more!