Regeneration Of The City

Gshrek

Nice to hear some positive comments! There are quite a few empty units in the St john's centre, but other than that the city centre has definitely picked up in the last year or so, and i don't really see any major crisis.

People from elsewhere in the country still have a pretty positive image of Perth. I chose move back to perth a few years ago - left when i was 17 to go to uni and never thought i'd return, but 15 years later i felt drawn back every time i visited, and eventually moved. A lot of the friends we have made since we returned are not originally from perth, and moved here because they fell in love with the city and its surroundings.

I've just moved back to Perth as well. Compared to what Aberdeen looks like the city centre is in pretty good shape. The town is cleaner, the people are far friendlier and not every second shop is a bookies/money shop.

The flat I'm renting here I would never be able to afford back in Aberdeen which was a big factor in me moving back.

Not regretting the move back at all!

Had my first proper walk around Perth City Centre in a good few years on Sunday past. Like all Citys/Large Towns Perth has its positive points and negative points.

Starting with the Positives, I was impressed at how good the High Street looked. It was very busy for a Sunday afternoon and I noticed lots of new shops/cafes that I had not seen before. I was also impressed with the area around the Concert Hall. Seems like the Premier Inn and new cafes/restuarants have added a real vibrancy to that area.

On the negative side of things, the bus and railway station are still as drab as ever. Its a real shame that these will be the places that a lot of visitors to Perth are greeted by. Are there any plans to do them up? As mentioned above, I thought the High St, Mill St and St John St were all looking great, however walking around York Place, South Street and North/South Methven Street, it was sad to see so many buildings in such a poor condition and so many boarded up shops. They all had a real grubby feel to them. Likewise, the St Johns Centre felt a bit desolate with so many boarded up shops.

Overall though, Perth has a lot to offer. Its location is ideal. There are lots of good restaurants, cafes, pubs. Having two large public spaces so near to the City Centre in the North and South Inches is real bonus as well.

The bus station was a shithole of a place in the 1970's as was the entrance to the railway station. However the platform areas of the railway station are all really nice places even though they are a little uncared for.I have always thought that Perth should have a combined bus/railway station, there is more than enough unused land at the Caley Road side of the railway for this which would not cost all that much.

I've just moved back to Perth as well. Compared to what Aberdeen looks like the city centre is in pretty good shape. The town is cleaner, the people are far friendlier and not every second shop is a bookies/money shop.

The flat I'm renting here I would never be able to afford back in Aberdeen which was a big factor in me moving back.

Not regretting the move back at all!

I think I'll join you LeahSaint. Aberdeen is a filthy city and has loads of aggressive nobs.

ONCE the City Hall is knocked down, Perth City Centre is gonna be wicked.

I agree Athens. Sitting outside willows the other week thinking what the Fock is the point of the city hall being there. Knock it down and make a beautiful piece of parkland there.........minute Central Park.....with pond etc.....

I loved being back in Perth...great city centre.

Problem is that the old eyesores are still the old eyesores. E.G. St Pauls kirk, The White horse pub and the Clachan Bar, oh, forgot about Brian Souter's Waverley Hotel (laterly a doss House).

The new Businesses that have opened are in the main properties that have been in use and been maintained previously .

However the fact that they have taken over an empty building is to be applauded .

I agree Athens. Sitting outside willows the other week thinking what the Fock is the point of the city hall being there. Knock it down and make a beautiful piece of parkland there.........minute Central Park.....with pond etc.....

I loved being back in Perth...great city centre.

I can just imagine everybody sitting outside, admiring the new square, with overcoats on. Would it not just become a jaiky and ned magnet. A Perth civic square don't seem to warrant the huge cost involved. Still, no doubt the council will find many ways to waste money.

I can just imagine everybody sitting outside, admiring the new square, with overcoats on. Would it not just become a jaiky and ned magnet. A Perth civic square don't seem to warrant the huge cost involved. Still, no doubt the council will find many ways to waste money.

It use to be a city square before the first city hall was built....which was replaced by the present one in the 1800s.    So basically we would be going back to what that area of land was originally used for.  Makes sense with the development of the concert hall and that part of town in my opinion. 

{{Citation needed}}

Bizarre preoccupation with neds and jakies on here. Are they known to flock to open spaces? I'll avoid Rannoch Moor then.

Same with the weather. You may not have noticed but next time you are walking along a city street look up - you'll see that you are not in fact indoors and under cover but outside! Open to the elements! Gasp! The horror! "Overcoats" all round.

And the "huge cost involved" in a civic square? Now, I'm no facilities management expert but I'd hazard a guess that maintaining a modest paved area would be somewhat cheaper than keeping a large, decrepit building safe. Far less renovating and running it.

{{Citation needed}}

Bizarre preoccupation with neds and jakies on here. Are they known to flock to open spaces? I'll avoid Rannoch Moor then.

Same with the weather. You may not have noticed but next time you are walking along a city street look up - you'll see that you are not in fact indoors and under cover but outside! Open to the elements! Gasp! The horror! "Overcoats" all round.

And the "huge cost involved" in a civic square? Now, I'm no facilities management expert but I'd hazard a guess that maintaining a modest paved area would be somewhat cheaper than keeping a large, decrepit building safe. Far less renovating and running it.

Now now now ...thats far far too modest for the ambitious apparachiks who head the Cooncil. 

They will want an area set off so you can play petanque, sip wine amid the olive groves that have been planted in the square.

Everything will be nice...overcoats?...gadzooks..havent you heard of global warming...

Hmmm I duno. No disrespect but your way of thinking is exactly the kind of attitude that stops places like Perth moving forward. Fairly negative. I have a young family and Scotland hasn't quite got it right with regards to catering for that market yet.

A square area that hosts cultural events, maybe ground fountains or light columns like they now have in Southend. They were placed in an area of regeneration and it's worked well. I now head there with the family in all weather's to grab a take away coffee and let the little one run about on her scooter. If it's managed well I'm sure an open space would be a success. Could the council not make a mature park area? Bring in mature trees, make it a small wildlife haven in centre of city, maybe a butterfly house etc. Sounds very tree hugging but I'm sure would be very popular. Just ideas outwith the box, rather than a concrete square or shOps.

Edited by essexsaint

Sounds like it would be just up your street for you and your fellow The The supporters :roll:

Sounds like it would be just up your street for you and your fellow The The supporters :roll:

Actually Tranmere, come to think of it, a civic square WOULD be a great idea. Perth could stage a mini Orangefest. No traffic banning orders required. For the sake of community cohesion, pull it down now and march with pride in 2016.

Hmmm I duno. No disrespect but your way of thinking is exactly the kind of attitude that stops places like Perth moving forward. Fairly negative. I have a young family and Scotland hasn't quite got it right with regards to catering for that market yet.

A square area that hosts cultural events, maybe ground fountains or light columns like they now have in Southend. They were placed in an area of regeneration and it's worked well. I now head there with the family in all weather's to grab a take away coffee and let the little one run about on her scooter. If it's managed well I'm sure an open space would be a success. Could the council not make a mature park area? Bring in mature trees, make it a small wildlife haven in centre of city, maybe a butterfly house etc. Sounds very tree hugging but I'm sure would be very popular. Just ideas outwith the box, rather than a concrete square or shOps.

Far too many Mature ideas in your post .

altho we may disagree on the state of south st and the like :)

any green space in a city has proven massive benefits for its inhabitants, rather than just a city centre square, how about linking the north and south inches with a green stretch rather than the bland stone work along tay street? Forget st johns place, wouldnt you rather have a cappaccino sitting under the trees on the banks of the tay?

altho we may disagree on the state of south st and the like :)

any green space in a city has proven massive benefits for its inhabitants, rather than just a city centre square, how about linking the north and south inches with a green stretch rather than the bland stone work along tay street? Forget st johns place, wouldnt you rather have a cappaccino sitting under the trees on the banks of the tay?

Yeh agree...Battery Park in New York is a great example of parkland on banks of a river that is buzzing with locals and tourists. I know Perth is no NYC but the idea can be transferred. Small temp cafes along the stretch be nice.

Still think green space bang in centre would be nice too.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on St Pauls Kirk? all the scaffolding has come down this week, looks a right state now you can get a proper look at it. Windows are collapsing inwards but look like they're supported by scaffolding on the inside, surely a matter of time before it becomes a real health and safety concern or even causes harm to the public. Wouldn't like to be walking past it on a windy winters day.

Any news on St Pauls Kirk? all the scaffolding has come down this week, looks a right state now you can get a proper look at it. Windows are collapsing inwards but look like they're supported by scaffolding on the inside, surely a matter of time before it becomes a real health and safety concern or even causes harm to the public. Wouldn't like to be walking past it on a windy winters day.

Read all about it in todays Courier.

New owner took over 2 months ago and has pledged to go ahead with his plans for a café and heritage centre.