World Cup 2018

Abernethy Saint

Sod that. The England team seem a decent set of lads playing honest football, the Columbia game aside. They arnt that good, but it’s not their fault the way the draw worked out. However, if they win the thing, we will NEVER hear the end of it, and worse still, it will become part of the whole Rule Britannia, Brexit, green and pleasant land type shyte for YEARS. 

I hope England get absolutely pumped, in the most humiliating manner possible.

5 hours ago, Abernethy Saint said:

Sod that. The England team seem a decent set of lads playing honest football, the Columbia game aside. They arnt that good, but it’s not their fault the way the draw worked out. However, if they win the thing, we will NEVER hear the end of it, and worse still, it will become part of the whole Rule Britannia, Brexit, green and pleasant land type shyte for YEARS. 

I hope England get absolutely pumped, in the most humiliating manner possible.

I don't think it would upset me too much if they won if it wasn't for the fact that we would never hear the end of it for the next 50 years.

South gate will probably get a knighthood & Kane a sirhood.

Waistcoats will be a must have accessories for men & women.

They came out second half, and reverted to the way they played against Columbia - childish nonsense. They were up against much more experienced, mature and better players this time, who just went and scored. They did very well in this tournament, but everything fell for them. This shyte on tele now, that this team will go on to great things is simply bollocks. This really is not a good team, and is deffo not the makings of a great team.

But, again, we’ll done to them.

On 24/06/2018 at 8:34 PM, sixties saintee said:

If they cant beat the likes of panama and costa rica should not be there, what i love is the media, wait for the implosion

Ha ha, bit quiet in our house, watchin media is quiet fun, the amount of programmes they had wae physic Pigs, cats, dogs , rabbits, and even a feckin elephant choosing what food they would choose from two boxes one wae a english flag, other wae the opposition flag, you could not make it up. 

After watching some paint dry on my gate I took the dog for a walk. I was walking past a house and heard a few roars - it being Glasgow you can never be sure if you have passed the house of a Rangers fan. I then heard 'Get it up ye, ya English bastards'.

My Croatian beer tasted quite good once I got back home.

Not that fussed, but have a bunch of English mates here in Cleveland and got behind them a bit in a local pub....us expats can't be choosy about who we drink with... bunch of old Croatian guys in the pub were entertaining, singing, throwing beer mats and crying at the end.

After seeing that miserable English performance last night, you begin to wonder if we will be a generation that fails to see any of our group of nations win anything at our national sport. (Im sure some old gits on here enjoyed 66' but I ain't one of them.)

Having a bit of a lazy day, but anyone else notice the russian and saints logos? their eagles have crowns and jewels though

image.jpeg.acef2df249fb1d0db0c3dc52c7ae55e9.jpeg   image.png.129f12877d61c27b3cc4c018227335f3.png

In heraldry and vexillology, the double-headed eagle is a charge associated with the concept of Empire. Most modern uses of the symbol are directly or indirectly associated with its use by the Roman/Byzantine Empire, whose use of it represented the Empire's dominion over the Near East and the West. The symbol is much older, and its original meaning is debated among scholars. The eagle has long been a symbol of power and dominion.

The double-headed eagle motif appears to have its ultimate origin in the Ancient Near East, especially in Hittite iconography. It re-appeared during the High Middle Ages, from circa the 10th or 11th century, and was notably used by the Byzantine Empire, but 11th or 12th century representations have also been found originating from Islamic Spain, France and the Serbian principality of Raška. From the 13th century onward, it became even more widespread, and was used by the Seljuk Sultanate of Rum and the Mamluk Sultanate within the Islamic world, and by the Holy Roman Empire, Serbia and Russia within the Christian world.

Used during the late Byzantine Empire as a dynastic emblem of the Palaiologoi, it was adopted during the late Medieval to Early Modern period in the Holy Roman Empireon one hand, and in Orthodox principalities Serbia and Russia on the other, representing an augmentation of the (single-headed) eagle or Aquila associated with the Roman Empire.

english fans saying Southgate should be knighted and the team is young and can go that step closer erm they beat Tunisia and Panama got beat off belgium reserves just beat Columbia without their star player, beat a Sweden team who were average with no great players and got beat from a good (not amazing) Croatia side

14 hours ago, 541ntees said:

english fans saying Southgate should be knighted and the team is young and can go that step closer erm they beat Tunisia and Panama got beat off belgium reserves just beat Columbia without their star player, beat a Sweden team who were average with no great players and got beat from a good (not amazing) Croatia side

To be fair (or in my view unfair) there are already English fans on some HYS sites calling for Southgate to be sacked.  Some even want big Sam back - Jaysus as our Irish friends would say.  To some Kane has become a selfish barsteward only interested in winning the Golden Boot.  Indeed the Spurs players in particular do not appear over popular.  One or two bad results later in the year and it will be interesting.

Their progress in this competition will make them nailed-on first seeds in qualifying competitions for the foreseeable (they already are, in truth). Which, barring a total cluster fek, means Southgate will not be properly tested until the next Euros. Expect some disquiet during qualifying due to unexpected away draws to which ever small nation they are disrespecting that week, then into the Euros with the expectation of “going one stage further”, then Sarthgate sacked after they lose in the group stages to, oh let’s say, Poland.

Harsh reality has reared its ugly head in the latest round of HYS comments.  Poor old Gareth does not have a plan B when things go wrong it appears.  Harry Kane is getting some helpful suggestions as to what to do with the Golden Boot, most of which are impossible to implement (unless its an awful wee boot).  Several other players are being told not to bother in future.  Even the goalkeeper, who I thought played brilliantly, has picked up a few adverse comments.

"twas ever thus.