V(ideo) A(ssistant) R(eferee).

HOODLUM65

After watching 2 tv games today, I formed the opinion that the onfield Referees are hiding behind the VAR.

2 obvious Red cards were only deemed to be Yellow by the onfield Referee and were upgraded to Red when viewed by VAR.

If these Refs. don't know what constitutes a Yellow card and a Red card, it's time for them to pack in.

There will obviously be cases where VAR will be needed, but in these instances things were clearcut.

Totally agree, the standout for me yesterday was the Chelsea sending off, last man "tackle" and blatant foul to take the attacker out yet ref only initially deemed it a yellow. Why the feck he had to view the var to convince himself it was a red is baffling. Unless rules have changed but I always thought that when a player who is potentially in a goal scoring position is taken out by the last defender (by way of a foul) then it's deemed a straight red, no idea why the ref needed this decision confirmed by var. 

2 hours ago, chips said:

Totally agree, the standout for me yesterday was the Chelsea sending off, last man "tackle" and blatant foul to take the attacker out yet ref only initially deemed it a yellow. Why the feck he had to view the var to convince himself it was a red is baffling. Unless rules have changed but I always thought that when a player who is potentially in a goal scoring position is taken out by the last defender (by way of a foul) then it's deemed a straight red, no idea why the ref needed this decision confirmed by var. 

Looks like the VAR ref had a word in his ear & the only way out of it was to look at the screen to change the decision.

On 9/21/2020 at 12:50 PM, chips said:

Which makes the var a positive, I still can't work out why the ref needed the incident verified by it though to make it a straight red 

If the referee deems that they have made an attempt to get the ball then it is only a yellow card. Newish rule brought in at the same time as the ridiculous handball change.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Hand ball rule getting changed on July 1st 2021.

Football went decades without change & I don't remember too many problems.

Now they change the rules every season & sometimes 2 or 3 times during the season.

What happened to the 6'second & 6 steps rule for goalies. Some refs even ignore the pass back rule.

Foul throws seem to be a thing of the past.

The penalty rule must have changed about 6 times in last couple of years.

I am sure there are others I have missed.

I am sure there was also a rule about not wearing your strip outside your shorts.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:31 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

After watching 2 tv games today, I formed the opinion that the onfield Referees are hiding behind the VAR.

2 obvious Red cards were only deemed to be Yellow by the onfield Referee and were upgraded to Red when viewed by VAR.

If these Refs. don't know what constitutes a Yellow card and a Red card, it's time for them to pack in.

There will obviously be cases where VAR will be needed, but in these instances things were clearcut.

Aye and they are full time refs as well so nothing else to think or concentrate on.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Wolves v Liverpool..

Salah got the ball in an offside position and the flag stayed down, as the Assistants are directed. In their attempt to prevent Salah scoring, the keeper rushed out and collided with his retreating defender, as Salah netted.

The Assistant then flagged for offside.

The goal was disallowed and the keeper ended up in agony 

Question- If the flag had gone up immediately,  would the players have avoided a collision.

Wish they would have just kept the offside rule the way it was.

Commentators now discussing exact same.

Game has gone past 100 minutes, as keeper is stretchered off.

5 minutes ago, HOODLUM65 said:

Watching Wolves v Liverpool..

Salah got the ball in an offside position and the flag stayed down, as the Assistants are directed. In their attempt to prevent Salah scoring, the keeper rushed out and collided with his retreating defender, as Salah netted.

The Assistant then flagged for offside.

The goal was disallowed and the keeper ended up in agony 

Question- If the flag had gone up immediately,  would the players have avoided a collision.

Wish they would have just kept the offside rule the way it was.

Commentators now discussing exact same.

Game has gone past 100 minutes, as keeper is stretchered off.

Stupid idea,all because they have to let the move carry on  in case the offside call may have been wrong & goal can stand.

Is it an EPL instruction as  I don't think they do it in Europa & champions league.

• 6 months later...
On 3/15/2021 at 10:17 PM, Cagey said:

Stupid idea,all because they have to let the move carry on  in case the offside call may have been wrong & goal can stand.

Is it an EPL instruction as  I don't think they do it in Europa & champions league.

Not sure who's instruction it is but is crazy. If the linesman isn't sure then hold on but where it is an obvious then put the flag up right away.

• 2 months later...
On 10/2/2021 at 12:48 PM, Tranmere Saintee said:

It will depend on who is the VAR referee, can guarantee they will be heavily weighted towards the ugly sisters.

Agree with that. The arsenal game today. One penalty shout refered to the referee. The other not.Was the VAR ref a Man City fan.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Rob said:

100,000 a year each club for VAR. Not going to go down well is it. Pennies for the OF.

Cant see half the teams wanting to pay that.

Even though we might have 5 or 6 points if we had var. I don't trust the referees that will be making the decisions.

Just watched the highlights of Everton v Man city. Stonewall penalty but var ref never gave it as it was not clear enough to overturn refs decision of no penalty.

So now we are relying on referees not on the pitch being honest and impartial. Not possible in Scotland.