Inverness Caley V St.Johnstone - Friday 20th May

SaintJet

11 minutes ago, Linky said:

Sorry, still confused: you think May isn't good enough for this league, yet the manager has 'reasons' for playing him because he has a 'specific job'. What is May's specific job, and how is it not Davidson's fault that he keeps bringing on a player that, as you say yourself, isn't good enough for the league?

May isnt' good enough.

Who would you bring on instead.

20 hours ago, dunblanemike said:

So have I got this correct, we do well and it is down to the opposition manager getting his tactics wrong, while when the opposition do well it is down to our manager effing it up?

That really should not have mattered it was an error but that said saints had it in there own hands

3 hours ago, MySpazz said:

After your unrelenting calls for the manager to be sacked, and superior knowledge of the game..... can we clarify that you'll be applying for the job?

I'm not looking for a job in football. I've never claimed my knowledge is superior to anyone else's. I'm just expressing my own opinion, just like you are.

25 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

May isnt' good enough.

If May isn't good enough, why hasn't the manager signed someone better? It's not as if he hasn't had the opportunity. He's signed 19 players this season and four of them were strikers (none of whom have managed to score a single goal).

34 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

May isnt' good enough.

No im not but he needs to play central with a clever strike partner also I think it was the wrong change Middleton and halberd should not have been removed leaving McPherson on the park

Edited by Broggy Man

1 hour ago, MySpazz said:

May isnt' good enough.

I would’ve signed a striker in January who I thought was good enough rather than 2 I wasn’t willing to play. I wouldn’t have sent our best striker out on the loan for the first half of the season. I wouldn’t have signed a player from Europe for a fee that I refused to play and then sent out on loan. I would’ve played Melamed more regularly last season so that, come the end of the season, he might’ve actually want to sign a new contract.

The manager is at fault for all these things, not May or anyone else.

3 minutes ago, Linky said:

I would’ve signed a striker in January who I thought was good enough rather than 2 I wasn’t willing to play. I wouldn’t have sent our best striker out on the loan for the first half of the season. I wouldn’t have signed a player from Europe for a fee that I refused to play and then sent out on loan. I would’ve played Melamed more regularly last season so that, come the end of the season, he might’ve actually want to sign a new contract.

I would have brought in a striker coach with better man management skills, so perhaps it is not all Davidson’s fault. Melamed could have still have been with us and we might not have ended up where we are. Hendry and Melamed up front might have worked. 

28 minutes ago, Saintdunc said:

I would have brought in a striker coach with better man management skills, so perhaps it is not all Davidson’s fault. Melamed could have still have been with us and we might not have ended up where we are. Hendry and Melamed up front might have worked. 

I have heard that a big issue this season and last was the way MacLean has related to certain players. This is perhaps why strikers have either left, been pushed out, sat on the bench or in the stands. The only one who has thrived is the one who seems to have a tougher personality, and he doesn’t want to stay next season either.

3 hours ago, Linky said:

Stevie May was an incredible striker in 2013 2014. Sadly, let's be honest he is an absolute shadow of who he was. He brings absolutely nada to the team. If we are all honest and rational- if Stevie May was actually a signing called "Stefan Mayski", supporters would be rightly collectively slating the signing from a European third tier league. The delusion from a few fans about Stevie May is alarming. Granted Callum is 100% to blame for Friday, but Stevie May would be lucky to get a game for Falkirk. We need to stop living in 2013. Brogan, Maskrey and Grant....should we play them on Monday?

1 minute ago, Miguel Simao said:

Would be nice if all the fair weather fans who turn up for the European games bought a ticket for this home game, Ormond stand not even open yet if it will be at all. Can hardly call yourself a supporter if you won't even turn up to the games that matter most to the club.

100%

8 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm not looking for a job in football. I've never claimed my knowledge is superior to anyone else's. I'm just expressing my own opinion, just like you are.

If May isn't good enough, why hasn't the manager signed someone better? It's not as if he hasn't had the opportunity. He's signed 19 players this season and four of them were strikers (none of whom have managed to score a single goal).

May is on a contract, likely taking a large part of the playing budget, and so that's would explain why he is played and hasn't been moved on or replaced.

Contracts in football are pretty tight, not like a regular job....as they are backed by the FA

What's your next deriding comment ?

7 hours ago, Linky said:

"I would’ve played Melamed more regularly last season so that, come the end of the season, he might’ve actually want to sign a new contract."

He may not have wanted to sign, and might have been asking for daft money.........players are fairly fickle and would move to Jeanfield if they offered fiver more a week

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

May is on a contract, likely taking a large part of the playing budget, and so that's would explain why he is played and hasn't been moved on or replaced.

Contracts in football are pretty tight, not like a regular job....as they are backed by the FA

So was Vertainen, but he moved him on. The whole May isn’t good enough but poor Davidson just HAS to play him anyway rather then the 3 other strikers on the bench or in the stands just doesn’t make sense.

5 hours ago, MySpazz said:

"I would’ve played Melamed more regularly last season so that, come the end of the season, he might’ve actually want to sign a new contract."

He may not have wanted to sign, and might have been asking for daft money.........players are fairly fickle and would move to Jeanfield if they offered fiver more a week

Maybe. So I’d looked for a replacement that I actually thought good enough for the first team.

Honestly, I can’t quite figure out whether you are Davidson or his agent because you’re not willing to accept a single bit of blame in all this might rest on the manager.

8 hours ago, MySpazz said:

None of that actually answers the question I asked you, which was: if May isn't good enough, why hasn't the manager signed someone better? 

I'm aware of May's contract situation but his contract doesn't dictate that he has to play. It certainly hasn't dictated that for the other players who have contracts but barely get near the pitch. May could have been left sitting in the stand, or sent out on loan. The reason I think he hasn't been, and still gets on the pitch, is that - for all his faults - he's probably still one of the best options we've got, because he's better than Bair, he's better than Ciftci and he's better than Hector-Ingram.

I'm not deriding you. I'm disagreeing with you and questioning what you're saying. It's what happens on forums.

12 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Stevie May was an incredible striker in 2013 2014. Sadly, let's be honest he is an absolute shadow of who he was. He brings absolutely nada to the team. If we are all honest and rational- if Stevie May was actually a signing called "Stefan Mayski", supporters would be rightly collectively slating the signing from a European third tier league. The delusion from a few fans about Stevie May is alarming. Granted Callum is 100% to blame for Friday, but Stevie May would be lucky to get a game for Falkirk. We need to stop living in 2013. Brogan, Maskrey and Grant....should we play them on Monday?

My issue with this is that everyone (including Davidson) is still treating Stevie May as a striker, despite the fact that he plays nowhere near the opposition goal and he very rarely shoots (and when he does it's very rarely of any threat). I still feel that at times this season he's shown he can contribute in other areas, as his general link-up play is good and his workrate is fantastic. I wouldn't be against seeing him used in a position more like the one Ali Crawford's been given for us this season. In fact I think he'd probably be better at it than Crawford. But clearly he's never going to recapture what he once had as a striker.

And to echo what I just posted above: the manager should have recognised this and brought in someone better, instead of signing other strikers who, from what we've seen (or not seen) so far, are worse.

May not good enough for championship Crawford not good enough for saints McPherson not good enough for saints parish not good enough for saints  Butterfield not good enough for saints could go on and on but that is what we have so have to put up with it still follow.week in week out COYS

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

None of that actually answers the question I asked you, which was: if May isn't good enough, why hasn't the manager signed someone better? 

I'm aware of May's contract situation but his contract doesn't dictate that he has to play. It certainly hasn't dictated that for the other players who have contracts but barely get near the pitch. May could have been left sitting in the stand, or sent out on loan. The reason I think he hasn't been, and still gets on the pitch, is that - for all his faults - he's probably still one of the best options we've got, because he's better than Bair, he's better than Ciftci and he's better than Hector-Ingram.

I'm not deriding you. I'm disagreeing with you and questioning what you're saying. It's what happens on forums.

You answered the question which is very bloody obvious, and has been said a number of times 

The team is not good enough.
The manager is doing the best with a bad bunch
The manager is not the problem. The players are just not good enough.
When Monday's potential disaster happens (?) the "sack the manager" folk will be barking up the wrong tree....again!

He hasn't signed someone better because we have a playing budget, a budget, like any other company, that's used up. They have high earners, like May, who can't simply be "moved on". You need to understand how football contracts work. They are not your average employment contract.

Next...

Edited by MySpazz

6 hours ago, Linky said:

So was Vertainen, but he moved him on. The whole May isn’t good enough but poor Davidson just HAS to play him anyway rather then the 3 other strikers on the bench or in the stands just doesn’t make sense.

Likely on 1/3 of May's salary. Easier to say, you are sitting in the stand or going out on loan, also younger and more "honest" player

5 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

You answered the question which is very bloody obvious, and has been said a number of times 

When Monday's potential disaster happens (?) the "sack the manager" folk will be barking up the wrong tree....again!

He hasn't signed someone better because we have a playing budget, a budget, like any other company, that's used up. They have high earners, like May, who can't simply be "moved on". You need to understand how football contracts work. They are not your average employment contract.

Next...

Was Callum just an innocent bystander when stupid contracts were handed out and signings were made?

13 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Next...

But he signed lots of players, and was given a good sized budget to do so, but many of them he hasn't even played very often. Whose fault is it that Ciftci isn't good enough? Or Bair? Or Hector-Ingram? Or Crawford? Or Butterfield? I could go on.

I agree May can't just be moved on easily. That doesn't explain why he is given game time in front of 3/4 other strikers if - as you say - he's not good enough.

14 minutes ago, MySpazz said:

Likely on 1/3 of May's salary. Easier to say, you are sitting in the stand or going out on loan, also younger and more "honest" player

Also, can you explain why May isn't an 'honest' player? You seem to have painted a picture of him as some sort of disruptive influence, with a giant ego on a huge pay packet. I haven't seen any evidence of this, unless you want to offer some? 

I genuinely have no idea how much the current Saints players earn, I imagine top earners aren’t on more than 2k a week though ( I may be wrong in this )

I m doubting Vertainan and Bair haven’t moved country for a tiny wage and I m also presuming there are other costs for them in housing them etc

Not getting the , it’s all Stevie Mays fault the budget is used up when we are paying Hector Ingram who hasn’t played a single min for us.

Ciftci won’t have been cheap either and Stevie May looks like Ronaldo compared to him.

I don’t think anyone wants Callum Davidson to be a failure but this has been a season of very strange decisions from the club and he s the manager.

In my very simple mind, you pick your best players and get them playing a system to get the best out of them or if your going to stick to same system, you sign players who will excel in it, it feels like we ve done neither, we ve signed players just to find out they either can’t play the system or aren’t as good as what we already have. To compound it, we ve then given them long contracts where there seemed to be no need. If McPherson or Crawfords deals were ending with their old clubs now, who would have been competing with us to sign them ?