The Big Summer Transfer Window 2022 Thread

tucker

5 hours ago, Radford 72 said:

McLennan sounds like a younger version of the current O'Halloran, maybe without the pace, i.e. the one redeeming thing.

In his earlier days, Connor could occasionally look "unplayable" - recall his performances turning deficits at home to Livi/ St Mirren into wins, then there was the cup replay goal at Ibrox. 

He would still have matches where it seemed his laces were tied together, but some put that down to typical erratic wide player and most were okay with him getting an extended deal in the latter McInnes days.

Nowadays though, all he seems to do is run into the back of players and foul them, or miscontrol it and let the ball run of play. He's gone backwards at an alarming rate of knots, but maybe this move will revive him.

-----

His brain and feet aren't connected, he can run about a bit but more likely to trip over the ball than have any end product.

-----

If you could somehow tap into the player that broke into the side a few years ago you might be into something. He never had the greatest quality but through sheer directness and aggression on the ball he could provide a spark to a pedestrian performance. His instinct was always to either beat his man or get a cross in early. 

Unfortunately he lost that at some point, he went back to playing safe, more likely to lay it back to his full back then get the ball in the box or beat a man. His touch can be very poor, he’s not the quickest either. 

He will give you work rate and will track back but loads of players in Scotland can do that. If he’s coming into to add quality and goals in the final third I suspect you’ll be disappointed.

-----

Fast and strong but with a poor first touch and not a great football brain either.

I think he'd make a better striker than a winger but my honest opinion is he'll drop down the leagues.

-----

Personally I think McLennan is more a Cove Rangers type player than a St Johnstone one. He will probably do one or two good things in a game but he usually runs into defenders or tries to beat 2 men when 1 would be enough.

-----

I always got the sense Derek tried to coach him too much. If you give him a ball and tell him to hit the byline then he's more than capable. We started cutting back and then crossing the ball in. He was always on his week foot or didn't have a chance to cross so would play it back to the defender.

To be fair to the boy you are probably getting feedback from some guys that wouldn't know a footballer if it fell out the sky and landed on them.  Give the lad a chance for god sake

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2022 at 11:57 AM, Cagey said:

Young Parker out on loan to East Fife. Don't think he was going to make first team squad soon and don't think it will make any difference to the wage bill. We need to get some of the 30 odd first team squad out on loan or transferred.

yeah cause all these 30 year plus players are obviously shite and past it :roll: you really need to change the record @cagey:laugh:

interesting bit the other night about the rangers champions league squad average age of 29 think our  average age on saturday was 27 

Edited by mainstand

2 hours ago, mainstand said:

yeah cause all these 30 year plus players are obviously shite and past it :roll: you really need to change the record @cagey:laugh:

interesting bit the other night about the rangers champions league squad average age of 29 think our  average age on saturday was 27 

Never said they were past . I said they were running out of steam but the clown of a manager we have subbed May who was still full of running instead of Clark who has only had a couple of sub outings for United and was ****ed as was Halberg and Murphy.

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Never said they were past . I said they were running out of steam but the clown of a manager we have subbed May who was still full of running instead of Clark who has only had a couple of sub outings for United and was ****ed as was Halberg and Murphy.

i think he explained partly his subs in the Sunday newspaper in that there was a number of players that were ill and missed training throughout the week. could have mabe used all 5 subs but dont know if there were any others on the bench that had also been suffering. 

15 hours ago, mainstand said:

@Cagey can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the size of the squad rather than their ages?

15 hours ago, blueheaven said:

@Cagey can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he was referring to the size of the squad rather than their ages?

you are obviously on the same wavelength, although surprising that Cagey never responded with that point if the was his intention. On reading it again i see what you mean i thought he was referring to the players in his first team squad aged 30 odd. 

I stand corrected/

11 hours ago, mainstand said:

you are obviously on the same wavelength, although surprising that Cagey never responded with that point if the was his intention. On reading it again i see what you mean i thought he was referring to the players in his first team squad aged 30 odd. 

I stand corrected/

You can’t just stand you have to bow down:wub:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Linky said:

Wonder if we'll be looking to pick up Matthews on a permanent deal. He would probably prefer to see out his Palace contract considering the money.

According to this he signed a contract extension at Palace before coming up here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-palace-keeper-signed-contract-extension/#:~:text=Crystal Palace have signed goalkeeper,of the 2020-21 campaign.

I think our only hope of having him here next season would be if Palace are up for loaning him out again.

I can't help but feel that last summer's goalkeeping problem has just been kicked on a year. Hopefully there's some sort of plan in place for handling it a bit better next time around.

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

According to this he signed a contract extension at Palace before coming up here: https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-palace-keeper-signed-contract-extension/#:~:text=Crystal Palace have signed goalkeeper,of the 2020-21 campaign.

I think our only hope of having him here next season would be if Palace are up for loaning him out again.

I can't help but feel that last summer's goalkeeping problem has just been kicked on a year. Hopefully there's some sort of plan in place for handling it a bit better next time around.

I find the way that some of the big clubs work very odd. Give a player a contract, then loan him out. He's too old to be a developing player, and 4th or 5th choice, so what's the point? Some players seem to play their whole career on loan from an EPL club. Is it in case they're relegated, they have a back-up 'keeper on a low-ish wage, and can let go some of the other 'keepers ahead of him to save money?

4 hours ago, Linky said:

I find the way that some of the big clubs work very odd. Give a player a contract, then loan him out. He's too old to be a developing player, and 4th or 5th choice, so what's the point? Some players seem to play their whole career on loan from an EPL club. Is it in case they're relegated, they have a back-up 'keeper on a low-ish wage, and can let go some of the other 'keepers ahead of him to save money?

I'd guess he helps their "Home Grown" status quota if needed. English clubs need to register a certain amount of "home grown" players in their 25 man squad, so you often see random English keepers pop up at clubs they shouldn't (Man City regularly sign a random English keeper as 3rd choice) to help with that.

Matthews will be happy to extend his deal there too knowing he won't get the same wage elsewhere.

9 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

I'd guess he helps their "Home Grown" status quota if needed. English clubs need to register a certain amount of "home grown" players in their 25 man squad, so you often see random English keepers pop up at clubs they shouldn't (Man City regularly sign a random English keeper as 3rd choice) to help with that.

I think you're right, although I don't really get why they don't fill those spaces with home grown guys from their own academy.

I think Matthews is on to a pretty good thing TBH. He gets to play regularly for clubs like Saints, while at the same time earning far, far more money than he'd ever get if he was actually our player. 

On 10/4/2022 at 2:06 PM, blueheaven said:

Wondered in the summer if they decided to loan in a ‘keeper so any potential pathway to the first team for Ross Sinclair wasn’t blocked. Big gamble either way

3 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Wondered in the summer if they decided to loan in a ‘keeper so any potential pathway to the first team for Ross Sinclair wasn’t blocked. Big gamble either way

I am sure Sinclair has a broken hand and is not playing for Montrose at the moment. Think this may be the second time this has happened so hopefully he is not prone to this problem.

8 hours ago, Cagey said:

I am sure Sinclair has a broken hand and is not playing for Montrose at the moment. Think this may be the second time this has happened so hopefully he is not prone to this problem.

You’re correct - hopefully not a recurring issue. 

13 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

I'd love to think there was that level of planning behind the decision, but I can't help but feel we loaned in a keeper (at the last minute, too) because we'd exhausted all other options and were panicking about not getting anyone. At least next summer we're not going to be holding out for Zander re-signing, so that that's one less complication.

As for Sinclair's pathway - I struggle to see how he or any of our youngsters are ever going to break through into being first team regulars under the current system/regime.

10 hours ago, Cagey said:

2 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

You’re correct - hopefully not a recurring issue. 

A "micro fracture" in a wrist. He had an operation on both wrists last season, according to Scone gossip at the time.

Stewart Petrie said its an "ongoing problem" Sinclair has, but i dont know exactly how he meant that.