The January 2023 transfer window thread

blueheaven

Another transfer window on the horizon so thought I'd set up a new thread.

What are people hoping to get out of this one? Anyone heard any rumours? Anyone want to start any?

CD's saying he's expecting a quiet window (although that seems to count for little and I'm always bracing myself for 10 new signings, 6 of whom never play). But surely the focus needs to be on reducing the squad size at this stage?

Hopefully we'll also get through the window without Mitchell being recalled by Millwall.

In a dream world I’d like another central midfielder brought in to free up Hallberg, but ultimately we’re stacked in his ideal position and we’re still to really see what Phillips is all about. 

A few out whilst looking at potential pre-contracts would suit me. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

In a dream world I’d like another central midfielder brought in to free up Hallberg, but ultimately we’re stacked in his ideal position and we’re still to really see what Phillips is all about. 

I'm hoping Spoony's return might allow Hallberg to move a bit further forward again. That seemed to be what happened in the Killie game when Spoony came on (see average positions below):

https://twitter.com/StAnalysis/status/1587548964504702977

Really hard to see how MOH, Crawford and Mahon fit into things at the moment. I also think we might see Max going on loan to a Championship side. He'd be far better off getting experience of playing every week at that level, than sitting on our bench and making the occasional cameo.

I can't see anyone coming in. If the manager doesn't rate MOH and Mahon we really need to get them both off the wage bill.

I'd like us to be proactive about players signing new contracts, looking ahead to pre-contracts in terms of those loans that will be coming to an end at the end of the season.

4 hours ago, blueheaven said:

I'm hoping Spoony's return might allow Hallberg to move a bit further forward again. That seemed to be what happened in the Killie game when Spoony came on (see average positions below):

Really hard to see how MOH, Crawford and Mahon fit into things at the moment. I also think we might see Max going on loan to a Championship side. He'd be far better off getting experience of playing every week at that level, than sitting on our bench and making the occasional cameo.

Returns of both Wotherspoon and MacPherson totally slipped my mind when I wrote that, somehow! 

Wouldn’t complain with those four heading out on loan, thought I wouldn’t be against MOH and Crawford leaving permanently 

5 hours ago, blueheaven said:

You seem to suggest that Spoony would play behind Hallberg. Spoony is better further forward than his cameo appearance in the Killie game, when his position was for tactical reasons.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:42 PM, HOODLUM65 said:

You seem to suggest that Spoony would play behind Hallberg. Spoony is better further forward than his cameo appearance in the Killie game, when his position was for tactical reasons.

Personally I'm not convinced on that. I think as Spoony gets older, the more likely it is we'll see him playing a deeper role in the team. I can see him taking on more of a Chris Millar role in the team in the coming years. I think we've wasted Hallberg for most of this season and I'd like to see him play further forward, with Spoony in behind.

12 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Personally I'm not convinced on that. I think as Spoony gets older, the more likely it is we'll see him playing a deeper role in the team. I can see him taking on more of a Chris Millar role in the team in the coming years. I think we've wasted Hallberg for most of this season and I'd like to see him play further forward, with Spoony in behind.

Fair enough. 

Seems form has changed on the football field so let us see what kind of manager Davidson is with the books. Far too big a squad so hopefully that is trimmed but I can't see some of those players being moved on easily.

What we need is to start seeing plans for the summer getting done, could see a lot of holes needing filled up then.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Suspect Mikey and Crawford will be off, plus a few more.

I think Mikey needs to go to someone at the top end of the Championship, feel a bit of love again and hopefully rediscover how good he can be. For me he'll always be a Saints legend but clearly he's at a point of needing to make a fresh start somewhere else.

Not sure about Crawford. He's still getting game time here and he still has another year left on his contract. I don't see him going yet but could be wrong.