St.Johnstone V Motherwell - Saturday 12th November

SaintJet

Final game before the break and we welcome Motherwell to Perth.

This is going to be a really tough game, 'Well have a good work ethic and dangerous forwards sniffing around looking for any opening so we will need to be on our guard. With Mitchell missing it might mean McGowan dropping back but we have plenty options. Lets hope Steve May is available.

A win in this game would mean we can conclude that we have  had a great start to the season.

Minutes silence before the game for Remembrance day.

A tough game but a game we can win, these games are massive if we can take 3 points as everyone bar the top 2 are really pretty even again this year, let’s hope playing at home we go on the attack from the start and put them under pressure.

Three points and hopefully a few of the boys with injuries can get done good rehab and be back for the return of the league

58 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Liam Gordon is a straight replacement for Mitchell.  May up front as well and I'd be tempted to shake up the midfield with Spoony in for Murphy. And Brown at RB and Monty LB please.

Always the possibility that he will move Ryan McGowan back there and bring in Spoony to central midfield 

59 minutes ago, templeofsaints said:

Well apparently have a lot of injury worries so hopefully we can hit them from the off.

Liam Gordon is a straight replacement for Mitchell.  May up front as well and I'd be tempted to shake up the midfield with Spoony in for Murphy. And Brown at RB and Monty LB please.

Can anyone tell me whit Murphy brings tae the team, you guys see him each week.

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

Like a few of this seasons latest signings I was initially a bit underwhelmed with the prospect of Murphy but whenever I've seen him he is really comfortable on the ball and has a eye for goal. He likes to get forward and fits in perfectly with our passing style of play.

We have a pretty decent squad of quality players and they will all play their part throughout the season.

1 hour ago, mainstand said:

Always the possibility that he will move Ryan McGowan back there and bring in Spoony to central midfield 

McGowan played in the back three last night, both he and Old Man Andy were superb, again. Fair play to them both!

1 hour ago, sixties saintee said:

When he’s on it he’s one of the few in the team willing to take the ball and drive at defenders, more often that not beating them and taking them out the game. Pretty vital we’ve somebody doing that in this shape. If nothing else it brings us up the pitch 40-odd-yards. He quite noticeably drifts out of games as they wear on though

5 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

McGowan played in the back three last night, both he and Old Man Andy were superb, again. Fair play to them both!

When he’s on it he’s one of the few in the team willing to take the ball and drive at defenders, more often that not beating them and taking them out the game. Pretty vital we’ve somebody doing that in this shape. If nothing else it brings us up the pitch 40-odd-yards. He quite noticeably drifts out of games as they wear on though

Murphy like Spoony doesn't have 90 mins in him. Would use him as an impact sub but start with Spoony.

4 hours ago, templeofsaints said:

Well apparently have a lot of injury worries so hopefully we can hit them from the off.

Would be tempted to put Brown to back three with McGowan and Considine, with Drey and Montgomery as wing backs, Liam Gordon is struggling his distribution has been awful all season, last night every ball he launched went to midden players, defence just feels better when he’s been out, also still think big John Mahon is better than him, but Davidson clearly doesn’t!

great opportunity on Saturday to get into a good league position before the break, although it appears teams are getting marooned at the bottom then they pick up decent wins, going to be a few ups and downs this season.

34 minutes ago, crieffsaintandy said:

Would be tempted to put Brown to back three with McGowan and Considine, with Drey and Montgomery as wing backs, Liam Gordon is struggling his distribution has been awful all season, last night every ball he launched went to midden players, defence just feels better when he’s been out, also still think big John Mahon is better than him, but Davidson clearly doesn’t!

great opportunity on Saturday to get into a good league position before the break, although it appears teams are getting marooned at the bottom then they pick up decent wins, going to be a few ups and downs this season.

I’m sorry Mahon couldn’t lace Gordon’s boots. 

16 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Thanks PSJ.84,  have only seen him against Fakes, and briefly on highlights

51 minutes ago, Stumpy1966 said:

I take it you haven’t seen Mahon this season. It’s all right slagging players off  that’s everyone’s right but it’s not much use replacing them with someone worse. 

Haven't seen Mahon for months now which suggests Davidson doesn't rate him despite spending a fee on him.

I don't think I slagged off Gordon who for the last couple of seasons was one of my favourite players but this season he has been very poor .

Edited by Cagey

1 hour ago, Cagey said:

Haven't seen Mahon for months now which suggests Davidson doesn't rate him despite spending a fee on him.

I don't think I slagged off Gordon who for the last couple of seasons was one of my favourite players but this season he has been very poor .

Mahon is a steady enough player and will be called in when he's needed. Like all decent outfits we need a squad of players for the demands of Scottish football and with VAR now causing everyone issues we'll need everyone. If he gets a bite it will be up to him to nail down a place. Competition for places - who would have thought?