New Owners

Shibbydoo

• 1 month later...

So DFC has just posted accounts that show -£6.5m shareholders funds as at May 23 - and projected to get worse in the period to May 24.  Ongoing operations unsustainable and key shareholders have had to commit to injecting more funds to keep the business going. Seems to me as DFC technically insolvent as a going concern and the ultimate owners are aiming to plough capital in to a new stadium and non football infrastructure in the hope that they’ll recoup the outlay over time from non football activity. There’s risk and madness - think it’s the latter!

If the new ground / commercial ventures don’t proceed the games a bogey and administration will be just round the corner

interesting parallel to be drawn with our situation. Cash in bank and sitting on a substantial land asset - but the land asset can only be realised by relocating the stadium and how would any excess funds be reinvested to support football activities and increase non football revenue. Brown won’t dispose of the business unless he secures guarantees on the land and what would happen on its disposal. If he were 20 years younger he would know how to manage this and that would have a sustainable football club at its core.  What investor out there would hold the same values and not have a focus on a financial return. ? Therein lies the conundrum that Brown faces - legacy is important to him but time is against him.Hopefully he finds the right answer !!!!

4 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

I can confirm that all of the above is putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.  Not remotely true.

More chance of Dee looking for investors to shore up their bottomless pit of cash, and "big club" aspirations.

Interested to know if anyone has any idea who/where or what has happened with our search for new owners....

14 hours ago, MySpazz said:

More chance of Dee looking for investors to shore up their bottomless pit of cash, and "big club" aspirations.

Interested to know if anyone has any idea who/where or what has happened with our search for new owners....

I know who and where from.  In terms of what is currently happening, discussions continuing, but I suspect there won't be much progression until it is clear what league we are playing in next season. 

17 hours ago, Kinnoull Kicker said:

So DFC has just posted accounts that show -£6.5m shareholders funds as at May 23 - and projected to get worse in the period to May 24.  Ongoing operations unsustainable and key shareholders have had to commit to injecting more funds to keep the business going. Seems to me as DFC technically insolvent as a going concern and the ultimate owners are aiming to plough capital in to a new stadium and non football infrastructure in the hope that they’ll recoup the outlay over time from non football activity. There’s risk and madness - think it’s the latter!

If the new ground / commercial ventures don’t proceed the games a bogey and administration will be just round the corner

Difficult times for Inverness Caley too: https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/chairman-confirms-inverness-caledonian-thistle-will-restruct-347354/

Both Dundee and ICT seem to be citing struggling with operating as a full-time club in a lower division as one of the causes of their problems. This is a big part of why the thought of relegation worries me so much. It could be disastrous for Saints.

10 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Difficult times for Inverness Caley too: https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/chairman-confirms-inverness-caledonian-thistle-will-restruct-347354/

Both Dundee and ICT seem to be citing struggling with operating as a full-time club in a lower division as one of the causes of their problems. This is a big part of why the thought of relegation worries me so much. It could be disastrous for Saints.

Tbf neither seem to have bothered trying to cut costs at all following relegation.

ICT were seemingly paying Owain Fon Williams a 6 figure salary for years after their relegation and are virtually run by Scott Gardiner, the same clown who forgot to order seats for Hearts new stand, while Dundee have admitted they had a top flight budget last season in the Championship. 

10 hours ago, blueheaven said:

To an extent I agree with you. don’t know about ITC but DFC has been mismanaged for years notwithstanding going into administration and changed ownership. There is nothing to suggest that the current owners are putting long term sustainability at the heart of their strategy. With a start point of a large deficit in S/Holder funds, how do they realistically expect to recover that situation and generate an acceptable return on capital from the new stadium venture while maintaining a competitive football business? They will bail out if the new ground does not go ahead. either way the future for that club is pretty bleak. 

our position is different - a relatively strong balance sheet with significant cash reserves and sitting on a vary valuable land asset. The problem is identifying a new owner with the interest of the club at heart and the skills to leverage the financial strengths the club benefits from and the development opportunities that exist. Relegation will certainly weaken our position but wouldn’t necessarily be fatal. 

9 hours ago, Willie Peat said:

What chance of DFC being deducted 3 points for each time their ground has been unplayable this season?!!!!!!

Unlikely it would seem:

"There is precedent for top flight teams being fined over the state of their surfaces. Back in 2010, Motherwell were hit with a fine of £50,000 for the infamous Fir Park pitch, though it should be noted that was a largely sympathetic verdict from the SFA at the time who acknowledged they had recently invested heavily on undersoil heating and a new surface in a bid to improve it. £45,000 of that penalty was suspended and Leanne Dempster, Motherwell CEO at the time, praised it as a 'balanced and sensible approach.'

Dundee don't have the same obvious defence case to make and, accounting for inflation in the 14 years since, it seems likely the Dens Park club will face a harsher punishment if they are found in breach of league regulations."

Interesting views for Stuart Kettlewell, which I think ring true, Dundee spent money on players rather than the pitch:

"We played here on August 2 in the first game of the season and I came away and said to everybody wait and see the problems you are going to have here at Dens Park over the course of a season because the game was almost called off on the first day. What that is in essence, and I feel so strongly on this, when you invest that money it comes out my player budget."
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/how-much-dundee-could-fined-32560417

Edited by garydavidson