WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Livi fans have been hounding him, Livis clubs finances are tied up in court cases, and theres debate over who even owns them just now.

Maybe time to try something new.

And maybe he will sign Marvin Bartley and play him at wing back.

I think he has a soft spot for Saints the way he handed us the cup.

Maybe a few grams of hash is what our players need.

Is the media choosing the new manager the way they got Macca punted.

2 hours ago, Saintdunc said:

Jody Morris is inexperienced, but just think of the lift it would bring, as it did when we saw him sign as a player. On his arrival, we were open mouthed, many thinking he was way past his best before date, and a journeyman after an easy pay day. 

We were wrong, and we were very wrong. He strolled it in Perth and was a very good watch. He would be my choice. 

Martindale, Nielson or Dodds it is then. 

Totally agree.. hes my first choice also

Finding it a bit hypocritical people wanting to bring martindale in.. we try and pride ourselves on being a family friendly club but we are willing to push that aside to bring a guy in who was given a 6 year prison sentence for supplying drugs and money laundering, what example does that show our young sainties! I'm all for second chances etc but is it really something we need?

I wouldn’t describe the Livingston job as ‘settled’ right now. It’s easy to get caught up in the bubble of your own club’s chaos, but I can absolutely see why Martindale would be looking to jump ship. Judging by Eric Nicolson’s recent tweets, and the odds dropping massively since this morning, I’d be very surprised if there was ‘zero chance’.

20 minutes ago, GOB10 said:

Finding it a bit hypocritical people wanting to bring martindale in.. we try and pride ourselves on being a family friendly club but we are willing to push that aside to bring a guy in who was given a 6 year prison sentence for supplying drugs and money laundering, what example does that show our young sainties! I'm all for second chances etc but is it really something we need?

This happened about twenty years ago. I’d understand your point if he showed no remorse or personal development, but Martindale is the prime example of a rehabilitated man. We’ve seen absolutely no reason to doubt his character or integrity during the time period of his rise through the footballing ranks. Quite the opposite. So no, I doubt that the ‘young Saintees’ would even give it a second thought (unless the subject is brought up by people like yourself).

1 minute ago, The Real Saints said:

This happened about twenty years ago. I’d understand your point if he showed no remorse or personal development, but Martindale is the prime example of a rehabilitated man. We’ve seen absolutely no reason to doubt his character or integrity during the time period of his rise through the footballing ranks. Quite the opposite. So no, I doubt that the ‘young Saintees’ would even give it a second thought (unless the subject is brought up by people like yourself).

Totally get that and agree to a point.. but the fact of the matter is it did happen and it wasn't like his charge was for stealing a mars bar from a supermarket.. it was rather serious. They wont need me bringing it up as a quick Google search into their new manager would show all 

45 minutes ago, GOB10 said:

Totally get that and agree to a point.. but the fact of the matter is it did happen and it wasn't like his charge was for stealing a mars bar from a supermarket.. it was rather serious. They wont need me bringing it up as a quick Google search into their new manager would show all 

When you say that you are 'all for second chances etc', what exactly do you mean?

I know I'm being massively unfair here but I can't bear Martindale. To me he just comes across as a ned, and I cringe at every interview I see him giving. I struggle to see a character like that fitting in at Saints. That's not to downplay his achievements as a manager at all as I think he's done a cracking job at Livingston. But I also think he might be one of these guys who's the perfect fit for the club he found (possibly a bit like Tommy with us), and I'd be very wary of thinking he'd be able to replicate that somewhere else.

Had we sacked Davidson after the Kelty game, Jody Morris would have been my first choice by miles. I think he'd have given the whole place a massive lift and still think he ticks a lot of boxes for us. However I'm slightly less sure of him now after seeing how poorly he did at Swindon (but that's without really knowing much about the circumstances there).

One thing I think is really important is that we need to back the new manager to bring his own choice of coaching team/assistant with him. I've no issue with Cleland being at Saints but we need new coaches and new ideas, not just one new guy at the top. The fact that Liam Craig has gone does give me a glimmer of hope that that might be the plan.

1 hour ago, GOB10 said:

Walk a mile in  someone's shoes before you judge them.

3 hours ago, Cagey said:

And maybe he will sign Marvin Bartley and play him at wing back.

I think he has a soft spot for Saints the way he handed us the cup.

Maybe a few grams of hash is what our players need.

Is the media choosing the new manager the way they got Macca punted.

Think macca got himsell punted

Movement in the McBookie market now puts Martindale odds on (1/1) with J Morris moving up to second at 8/1

Glad to see Cleland off the list though

Obviously it's just a bookies list and has no baring on outcomes of employment.

People on other social media sites maybe looking too much into Martindales comments today as he says he is aware of being linked to us but is concentrating on his job at Livi and preparing for their game against Hearts. 

32 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

The media got Macca punted? That's a pretty wild take on things given results on the pitch since he took over.

I genuinely think if it hadn't been discussed on Sportscene it would have been allowed to slide on for months as it did with Davidson.

Being highlighted in the media hastens a lot of sackings.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

I know I'm being massively unfair here but I can't bear Martindale. To me he just comes across as a ned, and I cringe at every interview I see him giving. I struggle to see a character like that fitting in at Saints. That's not to downplay his achievements as a manager at all as I think he's done a cracking job at Livingston. But I also think he might be one of these guys who's the perfect fit for the club he found (possibly a bit like Tommy with us), and I'd be very wary of thinking he'd be able to replicate that somewhere else.

Had we sacked Davidson after the Kelty game, Jody Morris would have been my first choice by miles. I think he'd have given the whole place a massive lift and still think he ticks a lot of boxes for us. However I'm slightly less sure of him now after seeing how poorly he did at Swindon (but that's without really knowing much about the circumstances there).

One thing I think is really important is that we need to back the new manager to bring his own choice of coaching team/assistant with him. I've no issue with Cleland being at Saints but we need new coaches and new ideas, not just one new guy at the top. The fact that Liam Craig has gone does give me a glimmer of hope that that might be the plan.

Ive reservations about Martindale too, but ultimately hes proven he can keep sides up despite budget restraints, and also build top flight sides on a budget. In our situation i cant think of many, if any, options with a better record of what we need that would come.

Tommy Wright wouldnt return, or he'd obviously have been ideal.

1 hour ago, blueheaven said:

Tried to write this a few times now but this sums up my thoughts pretty well.

I am however coming round to it a more it may turn out to be well he is an arse but he is our arse.

I do have the same reservations whether he can achieve the same out with livi but I guess he has won the right to try

17 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

How do you know?

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/tommy-wright-ill-stay-with-northern-ireland-u-21s-even-if-a-scottish-club-comes-calling/a61910644.html

Im fairly sure its been mentioned that he was asked, unofficially, about any interest before MacLean was hired and said no.

Nothing at the club has changed since he left, and hes now got a job which allows him to both be a football manager and live his life. He wont ever return to club football IMO and to me thats fair enough.

Edited by RandomGuy

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/tommy-wright-ill-stay-with-northern-ireland-u-21s-even-if-a-scottish-club-comes-calling/a61910644.html

Im fairly sure its been mentioned that he was asked, unofficially, about any interest before MacLean was hired and said no.

Nothing at the club has changed since he left, and hes now got a job which allows him to both be a football manager and live his life. He wont ever return to club football IMO and to me thats fair enough.

The full NI job could be on the line in the not to distant future as well so i think Tommy has got as near that job as he can now!

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

I think you're probably right but wouldn't see any harm in contacting him and having a conversation.

One big thing that has changed since he left is that Steve Brown has gone.