WHO IS NEXT IN THE HOT SEAT..

GOB10

I am really struggling to find someone on the list that gives me any confidence.

I would be ok with Martindale, not because I believe he is an outstanding candidate, but because he is a better bet than many of the other options on the list.

I have zero interest in the likes of McCann, Dodds or co.

Scott Brown doesn't have huge amounts of experience. Surely we need some of that in the position we are in.

This will be a wildly unpopular shout, but I would consider Ian McCall. Always thought he has done a good job at the club's he has been at and seems the sort that gets players behind him and working together.

Would Owen Coyle on a short-term deal be an option? He isn't known for being great tactically, but he does seem to get a good team spirit going.

1 hour ago, GOB10 said:

After being called out a few times on this topic about my views on martindales past and how I'd prefer him not to get the job

I had time last night to look through a short documentary surrounding him and Livingston, and i have to be man enough and say i was probably wrong to judge his present character on the one of his past..

He certainly does seem to have turned his life right around for the better and didn't shy away from questions he was asked about his past so i can only applaud the man on that.

A insight into what he actually does at Livingston not just the football side of things was pretty impressive! The guys basically running the whole of Livingston top to bottom apart the financial side of things of course, not many manages get that luxury these days.

I still have questions if he is what we need as a manager and thats completely taking away his past before i get shot down again.. but we will wait and see.. last i have heard Livingston has told us to get tae F--k?.

That's a good post and credit to you for your acknowledgement.

12 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I am really struggling to find someone on the list that gives me any confidence.

I would be ok with Martindale, not because I believe he is an outstanding candidate, but because he is a better bet than many of the other options on the list.

I have zero interest in the likes of McCann, Dodds or co.

Scott Brown doesn't have huge amounts of experience. Surely we need some of that in the position we are in.

This will be a wildly unpopular shout, but I would consider Ian McCall. Always thought he has done a good job at the club's he has been at and seems the sort that gets players behind him and working together.

Would Owen Coyle on a short-term deal be an option? He isn't known for being great tactically, but he does seem to get a good team spirit going.

I'm not convinced that we have heard the last of Martindale.

I have to say the usual media retreads do not fill me with any hope.  It's very difficult to make the case that this squad could survive in this league.  I know the level of mediocracy is great with four/five teams being almost as bad as us.  

If I was on the board, I'd be looking for the best person to build the players and club.  Have a defined pattern of play, have decent fitness levels and play players in the right position and in form.  I want a left of field appointment which while it has risks has the potential for far more than the retreads have.

28 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

Hes over coaching in the Indian super League.. probably making a decent packet so doubt he would fire back to rainy old Scotland for a relegation battle 

40 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Honestly don't think I've ever felt less faith in the people running our club than I did when I heard we were trying to get Martindale. It really does feel to me like we're fumbling around in the dark with no real plan.

Up until last night I'd been pinning my hopes to the notion that the board had something unexpected up their sleeve that might galvanise the place a bit, but nope, of course they don't.

With all due respect I'm in the complete opposite camp from you; I don't want a project or someone who might be a revolutionary with great ideas. I want someone who knows the league. I want someone who is respected and can come in and galvanise the team. If that means hoof ball to row Z and sneaking a late winner and that's the way we need to stay in the top league so be it. 

There is something wrong with the whole dynamic of the team, attitude, togetherness, mentality and I'm not giving up on someone being able to get a tune out this squad.

13 minutes ago, SaintJet said:

With all due respect I'm in the complete opposite camp from you; I don't want a project or someone who might be a revolutionary with great ideas. I want someone who knows the league. I want someone who is respected and can come in and galvanise the team. If that means hoof ball to row Z and sneaking a late winner and that's the way we need to stay in the top league so be it. 

There is something wrong with the whole dynamic of the team, attitude, togetherness, mentality and I'm not giving up on someone being able to get a tune out this squad.

I don't think that's the opposite camp from me at all. In fact I see style of play as the very bottom priority in this decision. If hoofball is what it takes to keep us up this season then I'm 100% happy with that.

Scott Brown jumps to 5/2 favourite ( but bbc have him rumored to be looking at back playing p/t with Spartans)

Won't read too much into that, been stated that the club contacted Livi as they were/are keen to talk to Martindale ALONG WITH OTHER candidates. Interviews starting tomorrow. Very possible we may end up with someone not mentioned yet by bookies or press 🤔 

7 minutes ago, chips said:

Scott Brown jumps to 5/2 favourite ( but bbc have him rumored to be looking at back playing p/t with Spartans)

Won't read too much into that, been stated that the club contacted Livi as they were/are keen to talk to Martindale ALONG WITH OTHER candidates. Interviews starting tomorrow. Very possible we may end up with someone not mentioned yet by bookies or press 🤔 

To be honest I hope we do look at someone not already mentioned. Don't think there's anyone there who could do a job for us. Would love to see Tommy back but probably not very realistic.

2 minutes ago, guisboroughsaintee said:

To be honest I hope we do look at someone not already mentioned. Don't think there's anyone there who could do a job for us. Would love to see Tommy back but probably not very realistic.

Yeah thinking the same, maybe a couple on the "bookies" list I'd be thinking fair enough, but would rather see a name come in nobody expected.

For my own greed Broony getting the gig would net me £80 but happy to lose out on that for someone more suitable 🤣

3 minutes ago, chips said:

Yeah thinking the same, maybe a couple on the "bookies" list I'd be thinking fair enough, but would rather see a name come in nobody expected.

For my own greed Broony getting the gig would net me £80 but happy to lose out on that for someone more suitable 🤣

Scott Brown for me is a non starter and wouldn't like to see him in charge. Admired him as a player but like Macca don't think he's got enough experience at management level. Fleetwood didn't work for him and think would be same for us. This has nothing to do with being ex old firm either. The guy's just not ready.

6 minutes ago, chips said:

That's called taking one for the team. Close  your eyes...

It’s very rare that the odds reflect who we’ll hire as manager. Having said that, if there is any time where we’ll go against our usual transfer policy, now is that time. And I have no issue with that. Whatever gives us the best chance of staying up.

I was impressed/surprised with the David Martindale links because I thought it showed a bit of initiative to go for someone like him. I wouldn’t even have considered it being a remote possibility. I have much more faith in the decision-makers than I would have been a year ago (or even six months ago). 

3 hours ago, blueheaven said:

Honestly don't think I've ever felt less faith in the people running our club than I did when I heard we were trying to get Martindale. It really does feel to me like we're fumbling around in the dark with no real plan.

Up until last night I'd been pinning my hopes to the notion that the board had something unexpected up their sleeve that might galvanise the place a bit, but nope, of course they don't.

Youre having that reaction because the club tried to get an experienced manager, whos proven at this level while working on a budget, to come for an interview?

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Youre having that reaction because the club tried to get an experienced manager, whos proven at this level while working on a budget, to come for an interview?

Basically, yes. But I suspect it's a bit more than just an interview. Based on what I've heard previously, generally when these official approaches happen it's because the manager is the preferred candidate for the job.