Saints v Aberdeen, 24 Jan 2024

SaintPeter91

• blueheaven changed the title to Saints v Aberdeen, 24 Jan 2024

If Keltjens is anything like the player shown in his highlights reel (and I get that's a big "if") then surely we need to get him in the team. Not sure what position Levein actually has in mind for him but if it's RWB then we could really do with getting him involved as soon as possible.

Presumably Robinson will be back in the team on Wednesday which should be a boost.

Hard to see what else Levein will change but he does like to spring the odd surprise in his line-ups.

Is Kane injured?

Maxi was pretty dreadful on Saturday. I think you start with the same two up front. Benji at least showed speed and able to run into channels, you ain't getting that from May these days.  The midfield need to take ownership and make things happen, move off the ball, find space, take some gambles and run. It was slower than pedestrian like on Saturday. We need solid defending at the back and hopefully out captain can find a blue shirt when he passes. 

Depressing as it is and a sad reflection of where we are, we are devoid of goals in the team, therefore I'd grab a 0-0 😢

Edited by Havana Saint
Spelling

1 hour ago, Havana Saint said:

Maxi was pretty dreadful on Saturday. I think you start with the same two up front. Benji at least showed speed and able to run into channels, you ain't getting that from May these days.  The midfield need to take ownership and make things happen, move off the ball, find space, take some gambles and run. It was slower than pedestrian like on Saturday. We need solid defending at the back and hopefully out captain can find a blue shirt when he passes. 

Depressing as it is and a sad reflection of where we are, we are devoid of goals in the team, therefore I'd grab a 0-0 😢

Speed into channels and then what? It would be an absolute miracle if he turns into a football player after a few games.  I would love nothing more than to be wrong but he just didn't look convincing that he could follow through with anything he attempted, apart from running fast.

Totally agree on the midfield, the biggest issue I could see on Saturday was absolutely zero interplay between defence and midfield. From goal kicks we were putting pressure on ourselves as we had two or three people passing at the back and nothing in front of them. No idea how everyone managed to hide so well. Airdrie showed how easy it is to pass and move through our whole team in three or four passes.

2 hours ago, Havana Saint said:

Maxi was pretty dreadful on Saturday. I think you start with the same two up front. Benji at least showed speed and able to run into channels, you ain't getting that from May these days.  The midfield need to take ownership and make things happen, move off the ball, find space, take some gambles and run. 

I'd like to see a midfield of Sprangler, Smith and Phillips. Spranglers a very smart tackler who could easily start as the defensive midfielder, and we know how Smith and Phillips play together.

I'd also like to see Benjy start again as he has speed and I'm hoping that as he gets more match fitness he'll time his runs better. 

Only problem is fitting Carey in, because I imagine Clark would start with Benjy, and we know Carey is at his best centrally high up the pitch rather than left wing-back. So maybe the narrow diamond with a back 4, dm, 2 cms, am and 2 strikers but then width becomes an issue.

Mitov

Keltjens - McGowan - Gordon - Robinson

Kimpioka - Phillips - Sprangler - Carey

Clark - May

This shape in attack, with the FBs bombing on in support of the wingers. Defensively Carey drops back, Robinson tucks in, and it becomes this 5-2-3 shape our managers obsess over.

Why not see if it helps us in attack?

Issue is the players have been drilled so long to this back 5 shite it wouldnt work and the back 4 would be written off. Other issue is we're stuck with managers who dont seem to believe a poor team can play 4 at the back so never play it, in what feels like a self fulfilling prophecy. 

Edited by RandomGuy

9 hours ago, Muirton Saint said:

I'd like to see a midfield of Sprangler, Smith and Phillips. Spranglers a very smart tackler who could easily start as the defensive midfielder, and we know how Smith and Phillips play together.

I'd also like to see Benjy start again as he has speed and I'm hoping that as he gets more match fitness he'll time his runs better. 

Only problem is fitting Carey in, because I imagine Clark would start with Benjy, and we know Carey is at his best centrally high up the pitch rather than left wing-back. So maybe the narrow diamond with a back 4, dm, 2 cms, am and 2 strikers but then width becomes an issue.

Totally agree on Phillips, Smith and Sprangler being our midfield three. I've wanted this for a while now. Sprangler's ability to hold onto possession and move the ball around quickly, coupled with his bite and tackling, has been sorely missed since he was inexplicably dropped.

I'm really interested to see if Levein sticks with two up front against Aberdeen. He keeps talking about us needing to be more brave and positive but I reckon that for most league games he'd still rather play one striker on their own with Carey and Max behind them, rather than go with two strikers.

13 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

He keeps talking about us needing to be more brave and positive but I reckon that for most league games he'd still rather play one striker on their own with Carey and Max behind them, rather than go with two strikers.

Is it what Levein wants, or what Kirk wants?

26 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

Totally agree on Phillips, Smith and Sprangler being our midfield three. I've wanted this for a while now. Sprangler's ability to hold onto possession and move the ball around quickly, coupled with his bite and tackling, has been sorely missed since he was inexplicably dropped.

I'm really interested to see if Levein sticks with two up front against Aberdeen. He keeps talking about us needing to be more brave and positive but I reckon that for most league games he'd still rather play one striker on their own with Carey and Max behind them, rather than go with two strikers.

I like all three players, but my main worry would be, does that combo have much creativity?

I would expect them to win back possession, put in a power of running and keep possesion quite well, but who is creating chances and adding to the goal tally?

I think it would only work with a two up top, trying to link up and create chances between them. We would also need the wing-backs to get forward and create chances and I don't know if we have players that can do that (maybe our new lad from Israel?).

Alternatively we go to a 4-3-3 to fit them in and still get Carey in the team in one of the wide positions?

I think we are a player or two short to really do well with either shape.

Has there been any update on Franczak?

If he is fit for tomorrow night, I would like to see him play in his more natural position in the midfield. Play Keltjens at rwb and allow Franczak to play in midfield. I think he would pose more of an attacking threat and give us a bit more energy in the middle of the park. 

10 minutes ago, SlickDT said:

I like all three players, but my main worry would be, does that combo have much creativity?

I would expect them to win back possession, put in a power of running and keep possesion quite well, but who is creating chances and adding to the goal tally?

I think it would only work with a two up top, trying to link up and create chances between them. We would also need the wing-backs to get forward and create chances and I don't know if we have players that can do that (maybe our new lad from Israel?).

Alternatively we go to a 4-3-3 to fit them in and still get Carey in the team in one of the wide positions?

Would this work?

Screenshot_20240123_070827_LINEUP11.thumb.jpg.7249f21c0cbdf622a81e62688954ed3a.jpg

3 minutes ago, Aitchy said:

Has there been any update on Franczak?

If he is fit for tomorrow night, I would like to see him play in his more natural position in the midfield. Play Keltjens at rwb and allow Franczak to play in midfield. I think he would pose more of an attacking threat and give us a bit more energy in the middle of the park. 

If it was a head knock i think theyve to take a certain length of time before returning?

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Would this work?

Screenshot_20240123_070827_LINEUP11.thumb.jpg.7249f21c0cbdf622a81e62688954ed3a.jpg

If it was a head knock i think theyve to take a certain length of time before returning?

I like the look of that team... I wasn't at Airdrie, so don't know too much about Kimpoka at all, so can't really comment apart from the reports I have read..... If Drey was fit, between him and Fran then I would think we could make that formation work. I wouldn't want to rely to much on a 16yo, nor have him rack up too many games before his body can handle it. It can clearly have an effect on players a little later in their career.

The midfield three would give plenty of protection to the centre-backs I reckon.

I still wouldn't expect bags of chances, but I think it could find a decent balance.

58 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Would this work?

I reckon that could work, would easily shift into the beloved 532 if Robinson tucked in and Carey dropped back. Would have to tell Keltjens and Robinson to get involved offensively. Midfield covers the cbs enough.

1 hour ago, SlickDT said:

I think Smith could give us the creativity if given that role. He's one of the few Saints players I've seen over the last few years who actually plays positive forward passes and through-balls for strikers to run on to. I do agree with you, though, that no matter which formation we go with, we don't quite have the right players to make it work. We've been insisting on playing wing-backs for a while now despite not really having the right players for those positions. Hopefully we might improve out wide if the plan is to use Robinson and Keltjens in those roles, but Keltjens is a complete mystery at the moment.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy said:

Would this work?

I think that could potentially work well if Keltjens and Kimpioka are good. Otherwise that right hand side is a massive problem. Still feel Clark needs a partner and based on what I've actually seen I'd still say May is the best bet for that job.

I prefer a back four generally but I can't help but feel Levein has probably been playing three central defenders because he doesn't trust any of them in a two. Which makes me wonder if perhaps Keltjens will play as more of a central defender.

Really hoping Kimpioka is able to make some sort of impact, even if it's just a case of his pace causing opponents a few problems.

I have no idea who we're starting with for this game.

Got to assume Robinson comes back in and I think he'll start Consodine which doesn't fill me with confidence if the Dons go gung ho. I still recall the opening of last season When Conso got done for pace and tugged the guy and we were one down and a man down after 5 mins!

Sprangler is a mystery to me, I agree he looks solid but Craig is reluctant to start him - I'd like to see him get a run. I'm really hoping Dan "wrecking Ball" Philips is back so he can stop that antagonising p*ick Shinney. I actually think this game would be in our favour if there is a bit of niggle because I'm sure we can mix it and after that tame surrender at the weekend I'm sure the manager has fired them up.

Huge 3 points up for grabs and a win will continue that relative feel good factor prior to Christmas.