Saints v Aberdeen, 24 Jan 2024

SaintPeter91

8 minutes ago, rik2304 said:

Ugh...we need to actually see something from Kucheriavyi that justifies the hype.

We wont.

Hes absolutely miles away from being good enough to be a top flight attacking midfielder.

As a shuttler in the middle, just taking the ball and moving it to more creative players, he would have a place.

Id have him competing with Smith and Phillips for a place beside Sprangler and Carey, tbh. And ive had him 3rd choice out of those options.

Feels like Levein is too invested in him, after bringing him to the country, not to give him every opportunity to improve though.

It's becoming a cliche but as all games, this is important.  I just wish I had a clue or more importantly, Levein and Kirk have a clue.  After their time in charge, I see no sign of a style of play or direction which I can follow.  I saw more under Cleland.  

Our summer recruiting was better than the previous two years though that wasn't difficult.  Turner-Cooke has been the big disappointment given the hype at Newcastle about him.  

We need to find a style, a team which is consistent allowing partnerships to flourish.  Aberdeen will come fired up and bully us if we don't have any fight. 

Rear I wonder if the Israeli is a replacement for Considine.  Robinson should come back in.  Sprangler allows Carey to play forward which is his best role.  He will do the dirty work and allow Smith and Philips to roam.  Benny and Clark up front.  

I'm tempted to throw all caution to the wind, knowing Sprangler won't get a game under Levein as passing to another Saints player seems to have been outlawed.  I'd have Benny, Clark, DJ as a front three to see if the pace and power upsets the fragile Aberdeen defence allowing Clark to feed on the scraps inside the box.  We need to win.  Nil-Nil won't save our season.  

I also think that the midfield of Sprangler, Phillips and Smith would work.

For me, that would be Sven sitting in front of the centre backs, Dan with a box to box role, which would make the most of all of his abilities in my opinion, and Smith in a more attacking role but able to drop back when needed and hopefully to be able to make a telling forward pass or two.

It means a midfield three or five though and then we have the wing back problem.

I presume that since May, Brown and Jephcott have been told they can get new clubs, that they won't be involved.

No idea about Keltjens, but surprised he didn't get on at Airdrie for some kind of run out.

Kimpioka and Clark up front?

So difficult to guess the line up right now.

I think I'd probably go with Random's selection since Kimpioka can apparently also play as a winger.

Then it can become a front two if necessary with Keltjens moving up.

This of course means it'll be nothing like that.

48 minutes ago, Gekko said:

For me, that would be Sven sitting in front of the centre backs, Dan with a box to box role, which would make the most of all of his abilities in my opinion, and Smith in a more attacking role but able to drop back when needed and hopefully to be able to make a telling forward pass or two.

It means a midfield three or five though and then we have the wing back problem.

I presume that since May, Brown and Jephcott have been told they can get new clubs, that they won't be involved.

No idea about Keltjens, but surprised he didn't get on at Airdrie for some kind of run out.

Kimpioka and Clark up front?

So difficult to guess the line up right now.

I think I'd probably go with Random's selection since Kimpioka can apparently also play as a winger.

Then it can become a front two if necessary with Keltjens moving up.

This of course means it'll be nothing like that.

Im expecting

Mitov

Keltjens - McGowan - Gordon - Considine - Robinson

Max - Phillips - Smith - Carey

Clwrk

11 hours ago, Gekko said:

We do need at least 1 player who is going to create &/or score from midfield.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy said:

We wont.

Hes absolutely miles away from being good enough to be a top flight attacking midfielder.

As a shuttler in the middle, just taking the ball and moving it to more creative players, he would have a place.

Id have him competing with Smith and Phillips for a place beside Sprangler and Carey, tbh. And ive had him 3rd choice out of those options.

Feels like Levein is too invested in him, after bringing him to the country, not to give him every opportunity to improve though.

I think there's a real risk here of Levein actually damaging the guy by insisting on playing him every week. There's just no escaping the fact that it looks like he's playing favourites, and the fans are noticing that and there's a risk of the support starting to turn on the player as a result.

I think he shows some promise as a player and would love to see us develop him further but really I think he's missed a crucial step by not getting a decent loan at Championship level and he shouldn't be starting games for us ahead of alternative options who are better.

38 minutes ago, blueheaven said:

I think there's a real risk here of Levein actually damaging the guy by insisting on playing him every week. There's just no escaping the fact that it looks like he's playing favourites, and the fans are noticing that and there's a risk of the support starting to turn on the player as a result.

I think he shows some promise as a player and would love to see us develop him further but really I think he's missed a crucial step by not getting a decent loan at Championship level and he shouldn't be starting games for us ahead of alternative options who are better.

Id had it in my head as the squad sort of formed that he'd be competing against Carey for position, and be sort of mentored into replacing him next Summer.

But he doesnt seem that type of player at all i dont think? Different personality and style altogether. 

I dont see any point in playing him anywhere near the box, and doing so just adds yet another body up there who cant actually do anything. 

Mitov

K.Smith Gordon Robinson

McGowan                                Carey

Sprangler

M.Smith           Phillips

Clark

Kimpioka 

Would not be averse to seeing Keltjens get a shot at RWB. This is a guy who has played 90 minutes in World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Italy at Right Back - defending against Asensio, David Silva & Diego Costa for Spain and Insigne & Immobile for Italy.

For me, Considine, Gallagher and Max need to be dropped in favour of some of the new signings otherwise what is the point in signing Luke Robinson, Kerr Smith and David Keltjens. If not after Saturday’s performance then when?

Edited by R.B.B:- Adz

42 minutes ago, R.B.B:- Adz said:

For me, Considine, Gallagher and Max need to be dropped in favour of some of the new signings otherwise what is the point in signing Luke Robinson, Kerr Smith and David Keltjens. If not after Saturday’s performance then when?

Smith was injured so that is why he was missing, unsure if he is fit now.

Assume Robinson can't have been back in the door long enough to have got up to speed on the game plan for Airdrie, making the assumption there was one. Fully expect him to be back starting tonight though.

1 minute ago, MrBored said:

Not sure the lad up front on his own is the answer.....what's the story with Kane?

Sure its been said hes injured again.

Feels a bit petty we'd rather be short on subs than involve any of Brown, Ballantyne or Jephcott tbh. Not a fan of how theyve been frozen out of training too tbh.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Sure its been said hes injured again.

Feels a bit petty we'd rather be short on subs than involve any of Brown, Ballantyne or Jephcott tbh. Not a fan of how theyve been frozen out of training too tbh.

It's a common thing unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Yeah, even if the club want them gone just name them as a bench option and not use them.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy said:

Mitov

Keltjens - McGowan - Gordon - Considine - Robinson

Smith - Phillips - Sprangler - Carey

Jaiyesimi 

I wonder if Carey might be slotting in a bit further ahead behind Jaiyesimi. But I’m wondering where Clark is, and why we signed a new striker to then put him in the bench

1 minute ago, Linky said:

I wonder if Carey might be slotting in a bit further ahead behind Jaiyesimi. But I’m wondering where Clark is, and why we signed a new striker to then put him in the bench

Kimpiokas got a bit of pace, I'm guessing the game plan is put him on later in the match against a tired defence?