Aberdeen V St.Johnstone - Wednesday 26th February

SaintJet

25 minutes ago, KinrossSaint said:

I hope Levein sticks with the squad, Sprangler clearly had an impact on the game. Jaiyesimi on the wing was good.  So many positives to take from the trip to Aberdeen..

Really agree with both Sprangler and Jaiyesimi. Hopefully that's enough to prove to Levein that Sprangler should be a nailed on starter from now on. Jaiyesimi was impressive and a brilliant pass from him for Kimpiokas goal.

Kimpioka by the way was brilliant as well, quite unlucky not to get more in my opinion. A very nice touch with his head to set Jaiyesimis pass down and a good finish with his left.

Big improvement. I think you could really see how using fewer defenders meant we were less crowded along our own 18-yard line and we were actually able to move the ball forwards, especially with Kimpioka's running up top.

That starting XI was only one player different from the one I suggested I wanted us to go with at the start of this thread, although the formation was different. I'm not convinced Matt Smith is suited to playing wide right but can see why there would have been a desire to fit him in somehow.

Think Sprangler's ability to put in a tackle and play a simple pass makes such a big difference to our overall play. We're better at holding onto possession when he's on the pitch, which frees up our other midfielders to play their game and get forward, and our defence stay protected without needing an extra man in there. Surely he has to keep his place for the foreseeable?

Shout out for DJ who I felt had probably his best game for us and was linking up really well with Kimpioka. I've been really unconvinced by him so far but I think you could really see he was in a more comfortable role last night and should never, ever have been used as a lone striker.

I do think our evening was helped quite a lot by Aberdeen being awful and having their home fans on their backs every time they took a second touch of the ball - but you take what you can get.

I think it's really important that Levein keeps the same starting XI for the Livingston game, to send the message that if you play well and win you're rewarded with keeping your place. Please, please, please no more needless tweaking of the team. Give these players a chance.

I just hope CL goes for the throat of Livi on Saturday, 3 points there and I think we are almost safe as they will be needing to get results and I also think Aberdeen are going to be drawn right into this mix of relegation play off.

I hope that performance against the Midden was a season defining moment for the staff and players and a few home truths about their game and coaching performance has potentially breathed some life back into them all.

COYS

Agree with most of what has been written so far, much improved performance last night.  With special mentions to Robinson, DJ, Sprangler and Benji who I thought were all excellent. 

But definitely worth mentioning the performance of Liam Gordon, I thought he was absolutely tremendous, defensively solid and also seemed to spend the night urging the players forward at every opportunity, he even stepped out from defence and played one or two decent forward passes.  He's been the subject of a lot of stick this season (some merited, some way over the top) so only fair to acknowledge when he performs well. 

15 hours ago, sixties saintee said:

Was that a cup game just efter Willie took over??

Yes I think it may have been. My cousin and his best mate came up for it only to be abused by Aberdeen supporters. Cammy had his rosette ripped off him and stamped into the ground. This before my cousin joined CYS! 

Talking of violence I watched the 1970 Fa Cup final highlights of Leeds vs Chelsea on BBC . Talk about a pitched battle? Today the pitch would have been empty.

Also think Nicky Clark deserves a mention. Looks sharp and fully fit again and thought he played well last night. Should score midway through the first half though, presume he misjudged the flight of the ball.

Levein deserves a bit of credit for managing his return as well.

That was a great and assured performance. From the start the players were fighting for every first and second balls. Constantly getting back in to position and breaking up the play - really hard working shift from everyone. It was obvious that there had been a discussion about this work ethic.

Sprangler was steady, doing the simple work in the trenches and I hope he starts more often, ( he did take a knock late in the first half ), McGown is such a good leader at the back and I thought Gordon had a strong game too. Robinson looked more confident when going forward and Dan Philips - even doing his usual shift was clearly blowing out his ass near the end but was determined to see out the win,  back tracking to hassle the Dons players. Shinnie was peed off that Dan and Sprang gave as good as they got.

JD looked really classy and was loving his role out wide and Kimpy has pace to burn and what a great goal.

For those not there or able to see it the most pleasing thing about the win for me was the players reaction at the end! Embracing and fist pumping! Even Levein was being hugged by all the players and this confirmed to me that this is team very much on board and believing they can win games and repeat this performance.

Special  mention to Steve May who I thought was jsut marking time - he was up celebrating the goals from the bench and came on and showed he can still do it if he's called on.

Well done Craig Levein and all the team.

2 hours ago, Lt. Col Kojak Slaphead II said:

But definitely worth mentioning the performance of Liam Gordon, I thought he was absolutely tremendous, defensively solid and also seemed to spend the night urging the players forward at every opportunity, he even stepped out from defence and played one or two decent forward passes.  He's been the subject of a lot of stick this season (some merited, some way over the top) so only fair to acknowledge when he performs well. 

Still to triple check this is right once i can deal with a laptop screen again, but think its right.

Wonder if Gordons better performances would tie up with him not doing a lot on then ball? Only 3+ passes are shown as arrows, so seemed like he wasnt really passed to, and didnt waste time passing to McGowan either.

Just focused on defending really.

GHf_kkgWwAATd-d.thumb.jpeg.e957cc75b29a5cb1d089a46e75124a6a.jpeg

52 minutes ago, saintee in exile said:

This is great to hear but why on earth did it take CL so long to figure out Sprangler should be starting?

Only he will know.  Anyway, hopefully the players have given him the confidence to justify starting them again.  It has to help the cohesion of the side.  Practice makes perfect.  Mind you, after the season we've endured 'one swallow doesn't make a summer' comes to mind. It remains vital we beat Livingstone I think. 

5 hours ago, garydavidson said:

BBC was raving about his shot stopping, you sound very harsh on him. Are you the David Marshall fan? 😂

The beeb had a black guy headering for the penalty! I rest my case , though they’ve corrected it from last night now

Edited by dave mc

I know theres been a lot of talk about the guys mentality being the difference but for me the difference between Saturdays performace and last night is soley to do with the system.    We had less players on our 18 yard box and for the first time this season had attack minded players high and wide.   This gave us so many more passing options going forward and resulted in much less backward passing due to no passing lanes.

The mentality difference comes from players now being able to play positively rather than negatively which clearly instilled confidence as the game grew last night.

As much as I think the torrid football we have watched lately lies directly with Levein and Kirk, its worth crediting them for changing from "their system".  Its something that Davidson so stubbornly rarely did, and on the odd occasion he did it almost felt like he didnt want another system to work in case it proved the fans right.  Tin foil hat stuff I know.

I guess we have to wait and see what the line up is for Saturday, but if we revert back to the old system my fears will have been answered. Please no more 5 at the back and narrow systems, I'm begging you.

1 hour ago, john.w said:

I watched Benji's goal about 6 or 7 times last night, wee touch wie the head to control it and on came the afterburners🙄

I thought Benji was excellent last night. Not just the pace, but his touch and the way he was linking up with DJ in particular. He seems to have really grown since his first couple of games and with that ability to win one-on-one races against defenders and produce a good finish when he gets through on goal, am I getting carried away to suggest he could actually become a regular goalscorer for us?

Maybe I'm forgetting someone, but I don't think we've had an attacking player capable of running past defenders like that since O'Halloran was at his peak.