#35 - 20/03/10 - Celtic 3-0 Saints - SPL

Old Firm fans are forever saying they should sign this player or that player from a diddy team after a good performance but I'd like to turn the tables and say we could do a lot worse than look at Paul McGowan in the summer if he's available.

I remember seeing this guy play for Morton against us as a teenager and he was outstanding and won them the game with a brilliant goal. Both in January and today I thought he was great for Celtic.

A positive for us has to be Mackay and Duberry though, so are starting to look like a really good pairing. Unlike 101 Saint, I thought Reynolds did well to and did all the basics really well. He'll have learned a lot today and that is what's important. Indeed, I seem to remember 101 Saint calling for McInnes to throw the younger guys in against the Old Firm in the past.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old Firm fans are forever saying they should sign this player or that player from a diddy team after a good performance but I'd like to turn the tables and say we could do a lot worse than look at Paul McGowan in the summer if he's available.

I remember seeing this guy play for Morton against us as a teenager and he was outstanding and won them the game with a brilliant goal. Both in January and today I thought he was great for Celtic.

We would be completely priced out of any move and I would think he has enough belief in his talent and ambition to turn down a permanent move to Saints.

not sure how to feel about this one?

on one hand our injury list plus deuchar's departure made things tougher than normal against 1half of the o.f, who at times played some really good football. this made today's result not bad

on the other hand celtic at times were awful i felt if we got in about them right from the start(like the hibs game) we could have got a result today.

would like to see the pen incident again not too sure about it?

and irvine is not the only one to blame im pretty sure grainger lost the ball needlessly in the middle of the park.

FAO Chris Millar-you can go forward!

positives - swankie, Muzz, Reynolds and doobz had good game's.

I can also see Dave Mackay playing alongside Cannavaro next season:)

Edited by 541ntees

Jings man, another 101 Saint is a d*** thread; we certainly needed another one:roll:

Right, if I were Del and Nick signalled that Deuchar was out, I would have brought on Stevie Reynolds and played him through the middle with Savo. I would not have changed our shape.

If I had picked todays squad I would have went with:

Main

Irvine-Mackay-Gartland-Grainger

Sawankie-Millar-Craig-Fil

Dukes-Savo

Subs: Smith, Duberry, Connolly, Muzz, Falkingham, May, Reynolds

and when Deuchar got injured, I'd have brought on May. Assuming no injuries, at 2-0 I would brought Reynolds on for Savo.

I was disappointed with Reynolds today, because he has shown flashes of attacking brilliance whereas today he really seemed lost positionally. Personally, I've never seen him play on the left of a 5 and he's never played well on the left of a three. Del should have swapped Reynolds and Swankie, because Swankie can play on the left.

The result is about the same as last time, a three goal deficit. We missed Samuel to stretch them like we did last time and Milne didn't really get into it. Obviously the rules state we couldn't play Sheridan. I agree with Radford that Duberry and Mackay were great in central defence but there was so much amunition from Celtic coming in from the wings. I keep wondering what Connolly and Duberry might be like together and Mackay back out at wing back where he does get forward brilliantly and might stop a lot more. For about the first time in a while I thought we didn't look a force going forward as 3rd top scorers but deuchar was also a big loss. Good to see Liam Craig back though. Swankie went from ineffective to brilliant to ineffective. I'm not sure whether a run of games might help or not. They needed someone to keep the ball for a few seconds as Celtic were pressing well, maybe Jody and we missed Moon he'd become a regular. So with all the injuries, going to a wee bit biased environment in all ways, and receiving all of the bookings as usual, I'll accept that result.

No, I don't make it sound like that. As Broon says, if you're going to go into a challenge like that, you need to win the ball. He didn't win the ball and he gave away a penalty. It's as simple as that.

Away and stamp your feet elsewhere.

hardly defined the game though did it? whereas irvine was getting skinned all day long and i'd love to know what his pass completion was

Jings man, another 101 Saint is a d*** thread; we certainly needed another one:roll:

Right, if I were Del and Nick signalled that Deuchar was out, I would have brought on Stevie Reynolds and played him through the middle with Savo. I would not have changed our shape.

If I had picked todays squad I would have went with:

Main

Irvine-Mackay-Gartland-Grainger

Sawankie-Millar-Craig-Fil

Dukes-Savo

Subs: Smith, Duberry, Connolly, Muzz, Falkingham, May, Reynolds

and when Deuchar got injured, I'd have brought on May. Assuming no injuries, at 2-0 I would brought Reynolds on for Savo.

I was disappointed with Reynolds today, because he has shown flashes of attacking brilliance whereas today he really seemed lost positionally. Personally, I've never seen him play on the left of a 5 and he's never played well on the left of a three. Del should have swapped Reynolds and Swankie, because Swankie can play on the left.

This is an entirely reasonable point of view Gordon with much to commend it although the midfield is quite a gamble. Like you I thought Reynolds was poor and did drift wide left too often. He looked scared at times too.

The reason I objected to your original post is very simple - you questioned our manager's intelligence, which is wildly provocative, and spoils what should be a good post-match analysis. When we get beat I expect emotions to run higher but only to a point.

When you explain yourself in a temperate way without cruel provocation I often agree with you, when you savage decent people I don't. I'm trying very hard to conclude that your not a d*** - would you help me on this quest?

Edited by soulfulsaint

There's a lot of ugly people who regularly surround that beautiful pitch who are the same colour as the the pitch.

By the way Smith had a pretty good game but made an error coming out for that attempted block which caused the penalty. He should have stayed in his goal.

how did swankie play?

He did well, always looked to create but always willing to track-back. Don't think he wasted a pass, unlike a certain wizard to wasted a few balls and gave away a stupid freekick that led to their opener.

He certainly won't have won over the critics, but the real fans saw another glimpse of what he can do. Put it this way, had Midgie been playing there he'd be getting pelters on here. Midgie would never have coped in the wide position.

how did swankie play?

I must admit I thought he did ok. I thought he looked likeliest to score. Made a few good runs in the first half that took him into places from where he may have been able to benefit. Second half he was much the same as the rest in that it became one way traffic towards our goal. I never felt he hid at any point. Did he do enough to start against Falkirk? Depends really on who else is available and how positive the manager wants to be.

Depends really on who else is available and how positive the manager wants to be.

I think it's well known that Del doesn't like him and whilst he may have overtaken Fil in the popularity stakes he's miles behind Midgie who is generally our right sided midfielder. As such, going forward I don't expect to see much of Swanks.

Looking to the Falkirk game and given the injuries to Moon, Morris and Davidson; you'd have to expect Midgie to be in the middle with Jody, Craig left and a winger on the right. He might choose to play Peanut in the middle but he really got shown up on Saturday as the game pased him by.

I think it's well known that Del doesn't like him and whilst he may have overtaken Fil in the popularity stakes he's miles behind Midgie who is generally our right sided midfielder. As such, going forward I don't expect to see much of Swanks.

Looking to the Falkirk game and given the injuries to Moon, Morris and Davidson; you'd have to expect Midgie to be in the middle with Jody, Craig left and a winger on the right. He might choose to play Peanut in the middle but he really got shown up on Saturday as the game pased him by.

Peanut did as well as could be expected given that he has hardly played any football for months.

There has been no reserve matches to keep the squad sharp.

Criticism of the man is wide of the mark IMO