The Downhill Slide of Saints Support

The Inspiration

Cheaper prices and (much) less football on telly

How do you stop other leagues selling their matches to SKY or ESPN and that being broadcast into your homes? You can chose not to buy those packages but you would never stop the broadcasters showing a 1230 or 1730 EPL game on a Saturday afternoon.

It's not just TV though. Time have changed and there is more competing with people for their leisure money.

Need to consolidate what we have and stop that bleeding away before looking to grow the support.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see anyway back for Scottish football - there is a far better quality televised product available, and numerous other things for people to do with their time. It's no longer the case that there is nothing else to do on a saturday.

Saints have tried lowering prices and it just doesn't work. Our wage bill is unsustainable, and we will either need to find a rich benefactor, or more likely reduce it and see a drop in quality, which will further damage attendances.

IMO the only way Scottish football can survive at a reasonable level of quality is to consolidate and join with the EPL. I can't see that happening, as fans won't support a tayside fc for example, and I don't see the attraction in it for the EPL. The long term path is to become a diddy league like Wales (the old firm will leave eventually to epl / euro / Scandinavian or whatever, they are too big a cash cow to let die). The future is lower crowds, lower revenue, lower quality.

I'd love to hear someone make the case for a future improvement, but as far as I can see the only way is down.

The current business model for the game as a whole is deeply flawed and doomed to fail. Players allegedly earning circa £250,000 per week (A million a month) is ludicrous in the extreme and the excesses of the game and the huge imbalances will cause an inevitable implosion.

You could see where we are going when Saints played in Drogheda. A club that declined a bid of £250,000 from Ipswich Town for our very own Graham Gartland not so long ago is now in a perilous financial position.

Football will eventually catch up with the financial crisis and we will all be the worse for it sadly.

out of interest anyone know what the approx average annual salary is for our lads - and who may be on the max. I've no idea - I'm guessing that the majority are on about £50k a year - or am I wildy wrong?

wildly and madly wrong.kev the tannoy bloke is on double that at least.

• 2 weeks later...
A good team, free kids tickets , dels last game , 4th in the league , and only 2909 can be arsed turnning up......pathetic, 13,000 at the bristol game.

See ye del boy.

some plonker texted biscuits said he was watching the game from Tesco's car park, bloody sad

Fecking awful crowd ( especially if they counted the freebies, but I am not sure they did) Even if they did not though it's still appaling. Christ I hate to think how many we would have if we were grubbing aboot at the bottom. Unfortunately I do not know what the answer is. How do you capture the local publics imagination???

The good news for those of us that attend though is that the team are doing the business on the park..

A good team, free kids tickets , dels last game , 4th in the league , and only 2909 can be arsed turnning up......pathetic, 13,000 at the bristol game.

See ye del boy.

Whats pathetic is someone sitting on the internet and not at the game slagging others not at the game.

You obviously have good reasons for not being there. This is 2011 Britain and there are loads of others with good reason for not being there. Just check one of the other threads and read someone desperate to go to the game but unable to afford the entrance price. Saints crowds are disappointing. Many other clubs are too. We are not alone.

Bristol City attracting 13000 when there is a catchment area of over a million people might be classed as 'pathetic' by some. No criticism there though. Lets just criticise ourselves as per usual.

Whats pathetic is someone sitting on the internet and not at the game slagging others not at the game.

You obviously have good reasons for not being there. This is 2011 Britain and there are loads of others with good reason for not being there. Just check one of the other threads and read someone desperate to go to the game but unable to afford the entrance price. Saints crowds are disappointing. Many other clubs are too. We are not alone.

Bristol City attracting 13000 when there is a catchment area of over a million people might be classed as 'pathetic' by some. No criticism there though. Lets just criticise ourselves as per usual.

Aye, he's in Canada ya fecking divot...He's quite right to say that given what the club did today and given the clubs position in the league that crowds of sub 3000 are pathetic. Yeah, there's a money shortage about but that's not just the reason. The apathy shown by the Perth public is shocking..

Aye, he's in Canada ya fecking divot...He's quite right to say that given what the club did today and given the clubs position in the league that crowds of sub 3000 are pathetic. Yeah, there's a money shortage about but that's not just the reason. The apathy shown by the Perth public is shocking..

Which part of You obviously have good reasons for not being there. didn't you understand good sir :?::?::?:

I think you and Husband's House should write down a list of reasons that people are allowed to miss the fitba for so that we'll all know what classed as acceptable or not.

Agree with this! I know a good few people who call themselves Saints fans, but do not go to the games.

Why is that exactly, after today and many other previous attempts proves that its not all down to money.

We are sitting well up the league, playing some good stuff and have the best partnership we have had up front for ages, so what is the answer?

Why is the support not coming to the games, what more can St Johnstone FC do?

I was gutted today when I heard the attendance coming over the tannoy.

Yeah, there's a money shortage about but that's not just the reason. The apathy shown by the Perth public is shocking..

The "Perth Public" are uninterested in Saints. Apart from those creatures supporting Glasgow United (or worse, the Scumdee sides) most people in Perth are Saints wellwishers but not Saints supporters or even part time supporters. They will turn up at big cup games or European ties but are not interested in weekly league business. Forget about attracting the Perth Public.

It is lapsed Saints supporters the club needs to concentrate on winning back. I am one of those supporters. I gave up the season ticket and stopped attending for work but it's the cost now preventing me attending more regularly.

I appreciate the usual, circular argument that the club can't afford to cut admission prices but I'd say if they want proper Saints fans regularly back in numbers that's exactly what they have to do.

Which part of You obviously have good reasons for not being there. didn't you understand good sir :?::?::?:

I think you and Husband's House should write down a list of reasons that people are allowed to miss the fitba for so that we'll all know what classed as acceptable or not.

Being bankrupt, abroad ,dead, in hospital or being held for randsom by Somalian pirates will be classed as acceptable..

Cannae be arsed is not acceptable ( if you claim to be a Saints fan)

Seems to me, there are plenty who fit in too the above category..

Hope that helps :wink:and my I reiterate I think the crowd today was PATHETIC..

I was going to take my 9 year old daughter, to the game today she has never been but I thought its about time she learned. It was £10 for her, a crazy price for a child. Especially if she doesn't enjoy it. For the three of us to go today I would have been £50 including grub. Far too expensive.

The cheapest Spanish tickets to see Scotland v Spain this week were only £15.

I'm not as sure about the apathy of the people of Perth as I am, perhaps, about the apathy of the owners, shakers or movers of the club. If whoever owns the club is not hurting in the wallet there is no incentive to market, promote or tempt new and old fans.

The Child mentioned that it would be fifty pounds for an hour and a half for himself and his daughter. That is out of line. That works out to somewhere around 33 pounds an hour, or about $55 an hour. I don't know how pay scales are in Perth but very few people around here make that sort of money.

If the club can break even or make a little on these kind of prices why would they change things? It they lose money it will almost certainly be written off, either to another business or one of the billion tax dodges that are available to those who have money. (I'm starting to sound like I should break out into the "Red Flag", or some such). I very much doubt if any one at the board level derives his or her sole income from the club. Therefore, they don't particularly care. Bleeding blue and white is not an issue for these people. Just red or black ink.

Smudge

I was going to take my 9 year old daughter, to the game today she has never been but I thought its about time she learned. It was £10 for her, a crazy price for a child. Especially if she doesn't enjoy it. For the three of us to go today I would have been £50 including grub. Far too expensive.

The cheapest Spanish tickets to see Scotland v Spain this week were only £15.

i take it you didnt know about the offer on today?

as someone not living in perth im not sure if this info is advertised well enough? was it in the papers?

as the crowd was mentioned i looked around and thought the stadium was half full so was shocked at the figure - not sure if they counted the free kids or any of the ormond?

i got there at five to 3 worried about not getting a seat in the ormond, wit was i thinking!