The Downhill Slide of Saints Support

The Inspiration

It would be an interesting experiment, you'd realistically need an investor prepared to make up the income to a pre-defined target incase it all went Pete Tong. Would be interesting to see what would happen if they sold season tickets on the basis of it working out at £10 a game.

Individual price deductions don't work, we've proven that but I think a long term deduction would be interesting

Interesting Theory - but would that not mean the club relying upon a full house every home game just to make £100,000 in income ?

I dont see people flocking to games at even £10 per game -we will never attract that sort of crowd again UNTIL we have success in the League and OR major cup year in year out and that doesnt look likely on the strength of squad we have.

That then means the club has to buy in Quality and you dont get Quality on a shoestring-----Work out the weekly wage Bill on the starting 11 plus the subs bench -Add in the backroom staff Manager etc -Ground staff and the Staff that work in the background -what does that add up to.

Do we really expect those that run the club to take a "chance" on reducing their prices in the hope more folk come /

What is the cost of a Season Ticket for a juvenile ?

At that price why are there not MORE juveniles in attendance week in week out.

The OAPs season tickets is quite reasonable -so why are there not more taking up the offer.

Questions questions -but no real answers

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did say you'd need a backer!

On the basis of last night's game, the club must have made virtually nothing.

I think a lot of people would buy season tickets at £200 a go. Perhaps even keeping match day prices the same.

I don't buy a ST but I definitely would at that kind of price, it's worthwhile even if you miss a few games. Realistically I attend more away games than I do home ones.

Can a juvenile buy a ST without an adult purchasing one?

You don't need to be a mathematically genius to calculate that if you cut the price in half then you are going to have to more than double your gate to make a profit. Saints have tried the £10 for all in the past and from memory I don't see us getting anywhere near double the gate.

As said above less revenue and 2000 pissed off season ticket holders would be the outcome.

Sunday should provide a good crowd with all celtic tickets being sold both stands plus the Side of the main stand.

I was meaning the club's revenue and operating income. Admission fees aren't our only revenue stream.

If admission fees (season and gate) made up say 50% of our revenues, then cutting admission in half would only reduce revenues by 25%.

And you'd have to operate a scheme like this from the start of the season to avoid upsetting season ticket holders.

Saints have tried £10 on one off occasions - has any club tried such a reduction a) for a whole season, and B) both for season and pay at gate tickets?

Edited by monkfish

I was meaning the club's revenue and operating income. Admission fees aren't our only revenue stream.

If admission fees (season and gate) made up say 50% of our revenues, then cutting admission in half would only reduce revenues by 25%.

And you'd have to operate a scheme like this from the start of the season to avoid upsetting season ticket holders.

Saints have tried £10 on one off occasions - has any club tried such a reduction a) for a whole season, and B) both for season and pay at gate tickets?

But by reducing the Celtic game for instance to £10 you would make a massive loss compared to the 5000 tickets sold at £24. Saints will take in over 100K on Sunday in gate revenue form the away support, reducing that to 50k would be a straight loss to the Club.

I can see the merits in what you asy and yes as you say doing it at the start of the season would be the only way it would work. As RG says we would need a sponsor to back it though as the Club could not take the gamble.

I am sure it would said before that gate income only makes up about 25% of the Clubs income.

But by reducing the Celtic game for instance to £10 you would make a massive loss compared to the 5000 tickets sold at £24. Saints will take in over 100K on Sunday in gate revenue form the away support, reducing that to 50k would be a straight loss to the Club.

I can see the merits in what you asy and yes as you say doing it at the start of the season would be the only way it would work. As RG says we would need a sponsor to back it though as the Club could not take the gamble.

I am sure it would said before that gate income only makes up about 25% of the Clubs income.

While your games against the OF would give you a fair old loss, im sure more people would attend the run of the mill games if the price was right.

I think what's key is getting people in the habit of going to a game on a Saturday. While £20+ is far too expensive, and £10 probably too cheap. There must be a middle ground that would increase attendances and keep income at a decent level.

£15 for non OF games and £17 for the Ugly Sisters? I don't know about anyone else but when I go myself I spend an average of £3-5 at the kiosk, usually park in the ground too.

If you could find a backer to support such an idea, you could add £2 on per season up to around £16 which is what price I think would provide value for money, hopefully bringing in much more supporters.

Temporary Stadium naming rights and so on could be given to the backer as an incentive.

The Stagecoach Stadium anyone?

While your games against the OF would give you a fair old loss, im sure more people would attend the run of the mill games if the price was right.

I think what's key is getting people in the habit of going to a game on a Saturday. While £20+ is far too expensive, and £10 probably too cheap. There must be a middle ground that would increase attendances and keep income at a decent level.

£15 for non OF games and £17 for the Ugly Sisters? I don't know about anyone else but when I go myself I spend an average of £3-5 at the kiosk, usually park in the ground too.

If you could find a backer to support such an idea, you could add £2 on per season up to around £16 which is what price I think would provide value for money, hopefully bringing in much more supporters.

Temporary Stadium naming rights and so on could be given to the backer as an incentive.

The Stagecoach Stadium anyone?

Send in an email to Paul

I did say you'd need a backer!

On the basis of last night's game, the club must have made virtually nothing.

I think a lot of people would buy season tickets at £200 a go. Perhaps even keeping match day prices the same.

I don't buy a ST but I definitely would at that kind of price, it's worthwhile even if you miss a few games. Realistically I attend more away games than I do home ones.

Can a juvenile buy a ST without an adult purchasing one?

TV revenue would have covered the gate.

As for Season tckts -

U/16 £75............say 19 games at about £4

16-18 £160 " " " " £8-50p

TV revenue would have covered the gate.

As for Season tckts -

U/16 £75............say 19 games at about £4

16-18 £160 " " " " £8-50p

I didn`t think the individual teams recieved anything .All the money was in a pot to be shared out between the teams with the OF getting the lions share

I didn`t think the individual teams recieved anything .All the money was in a pot to be shared out between the teams with the OF getting the lions share

I thought that was the case aswell Cagey all the money goes into a pot, 50% is shared out between all the teams and the other half goes into the prize money.

Season ticket holders have been fairly penalised over the last few seasons by reduction in gate prices. Why on earth should there be reductions in admission prices for games? There is very little saving when buying a season ticket and the holders are giving their money up front for the club.

Our attendances in the SPL and general apathy in Perth is atrocious and that says more about Perth than it does about St Johnstone FC.

The attendances over the last 2 games would have been even lower had it not been for supporters from Stanley, Luncarty, Auchterarder, Crieff etc..... :cry:

If they even managed to try some games at £10 and as earlier was suggested an investor to cover the loss ie match the £10 and give them free advertisng before the game and during with hospitality etc maybe some business would be interested.

It wouldnt make any diff to me im a season ticket holder but i wouldnt moan if it managed to get us bigger crowds in,maybe for season ticket holders they could include cup games as a good will gesture for the reduction in price of games

thats apart from a very small hardcore.

very sad.

it is very sad i was born in perth,but grew up in glasgow and had summer hols with family in perth when was younger and rem bein taken to muirton as youngster and was hooked from then on,i brought my kids up as saints fans and hope they will carry it on,just a shame more dont support their home team any more

Tickets should be sold as a loss leader on the back of other revenue streams.

Cut gate cost, sell season tickets for £150 across the board. Make it so cheap to be a season ticket holder...or something, anything, but £23.

COMPARE SAINTS WITH....

even in London I'd not pay £23, infact on Thursday I went to Fulham v Odense UEFA cup....£5 + £1.25 booking. Yes £6. (yet, i was enticed by £49 tickets when they played Chelsea, so FFC are realing me in on a loss lead).

On Dec 26th AFC Wimbledon v Oxford Utd - £14 adults, £9 OAPS, Kids £2..... they have sold it out 4600 fans (800 from Oxford).....to see the mighty Doobs in action.

So Saints v Aberdeen £23 can suck leg by comparison.

I used to attend every Saints game...home or away.

Now I just totally refuse to pay the £23 to watch 90minutes of substandard football.

Terrible value for money. However this is a problem with Scottish football in general.

Im sure i read somewhere, maybe earlier in this thread, but the average bundesliga match ticket is around the £12-13 mark, which also includes there train ticket to the ground.

No surprise they have huge crowds and very few clubs in financial trouble.

There are 2 issues smacking scottish football in the face.

1. the powers that be need to operate a ticketing policy to get numbers, especially kids, back watching football.

2. summer football. That was torture the other night. My nephew usually goes (he is 11) butnot interested in going to watch in that weather. if we had summer football we would also not have to compete with the Premiership.

If you don't change things, nothing will change.

Cut gate cost, sell season tickets for £150 across the board. Make it so cheap to be a season ticket holder...or something, anything, but £23.

COMPARE SAINTS WITH....

even in London I'd not pay £23, infact on Thursday I went to Fulham v Odense UEFA cup....£5 + £1.25 booking. Yes £6. (yet, i was enticed by £49 tickets when they played Chelsea, so FFC are realing me in on a loss lead).

On Dec 26th AFC Wimbledon v Oxford Utd - £14 adults, £9 OAPS, Kids £2..... they have sold it out 4600 fans (800 from Oxford).....to see the mighty Doobs in action.

It's not a true comparison though. As you say, the Fulham price is drastically reduced and the Wimbledon game is a Fourth Division match whichever way it's promoted.

How much did you spend when you were at the Fulham game? Did you then buy any £49 tickets for the Chelsea game?

COMPARE SAINTS WITH....

most lower league englih sides get very big crowds on boxing day its a bank holiday