new manager

bankfoot saint

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he becomes the manager we will become the latest club who dont speak to newspapers

This is from Wikipedia

He became manager of Sligo Rovers on 27 April 2007, taking over from Rob McDonald, who resigned before the start of the season. At the press conference when he was unveiled he stated that he was from Liverpool and that he will not have anything to do with any journalist from the Irish Sun, (due to the disgraceful lies printed about Liverpool supporters during the Hillsborough disaster). He guided Sligo to a credible 6th place league finish in his first season. His second year (2008) saw him guide Sligo to fourth in the league and thus secure a UEFA Cup place.

He departed in January 2009 by mutual consent, but soon returned just weeks later.

In his third season, under sever financial constraints, he guided Sligo to sixth place after a time when it appeared the Bit O'Red appeared certain relegation candidates. In addition, Cook guided Sligo to the final of the FAI Cup which took place on the 22nd November 2009. Sligo lost 2-1 to Sporting Fingal despite holding a one goal lead with seven minutes remaining. His first silverware as Sligo manager came in September 2010, after a 1-0 win over Monaghan United in the final of the League Cup. In November 2010, he guided Sligo Rovers to win the 2010 FAI Cup Final, 2-0 in a penalty shoot-out against Shamrock Rovers.

he has had a bit of success on the pitch but I am not sure the sun/Liverpool thing is relevant to a manager of another club and the fact that he left and then came back gives me some cause for concern.. but then its only a Wikipedia page

IMO a man of integrity and loyalty, in not speaking to that "newspaper".

Totally unprofessional. Letting personal issues interfere with you doing your job is wrong. It can also reflect negatively on your employer. Surprised Geoff looks willing to entertain such attitudes.

Arguably the greatest manager this country has produced allowed a personal issue to dictate his involvment with the BBC for several years and it had little impact on his ability to do the job or his club. Maybe it was unprofessional but it's made little difference to Manchester United.

Don't think it's of any relevance to the Saints support if he has a personal issue that stops him dealing with one newspaper. I appreciate the fact I share his views makes it easy for me to say that though.

I look forward to learning more about Paul Cook over the coming days though if he is indeed to be our new manager.

Arguably the greatest manager this country has produced allowed a personal issue to dictate his involvment with the BBC for several years and it had little impact on his ability to do the job or his club. Maybe it was unprofessional but it's made little difference to Manchester United.

Don't think it's of any relevance to the Saints support if he has a personal issue that stops him dealing with one newspaper. I appreciate the fact I share his views makes it easy for me to say that though.

I look forward to learning more about Paul Cook over the coming days though if he is indeed to be our new manager.

I would say it was different circumstances Radders and whilst I understood why SAF did what he did I didn't agree with it either.

These days a Saints manager has to have good PR skills and build great relationships with the press. He can't do that if he lets personal grudges get in the way and is selective in who he decides to speak to. As a supporter, I don't want to see those issues brought into Saints.

Guest Harry Curran's Love child
I would say it was different circumstances Radders and whilst I understood why SAF did what he did I didn't agree with it either.

These days a Saints manager has to have good PR skills and build great relationships with the press. He can't do that if he lets personal grudges get in the way and is selective in who he decides to speak to. As a supporter, I don't want to see those issues brought into Saints.

To be fair, we don't know to what extent his issue with The Sun is and how personal it is so I think we'd best leave that up to Geoff to decide if that would affect how he performs in any way. I'm fairly sure 'Paul Cook Wikiepedia' would be a search result found on a few PC's at McD do I doubt this would come as no surprise to them. Do we even know this stance is still current?

Bit thrown by this speculation, however, you have to put faith in Geoff.

Slightly concerned has no experience or contacts in the Spl or any knowledge of the club. Also, he has only managed briefly in the Conference. I'm sure he has brilliant knowledge of the Irish league but is this enough for an Spl team like Saints?

I could understand a David Weir or Christian Dailly appointment but can't understand how he would be better for our club than say Paul Sheerin? Loads of potential, knows the club inside out and all about the Scottish game.

Saying that I'm happy its not a "journeyman" like Jefferies!

In Geoff we Trust!

Slightly concerned has no experience or contacts in the Spl or any knowledge of the club. Also, he has only managed briefly in the Conference. I'm sure he has brilliant knowledge of the Irish league but is this enough for an Spl team like Saints?

I could understand a David Weir or Christian Dailly appointment but can't understand how he would be better for our club than say Paul Sheerin? Loads of potential, knows the club inside out and all about the Scottish game.

In Geoff we Trust!

I'm sure the same could have been said about the Irish league when he took over at Sligo and look how he has performed there.

In Geoff we Trust!

Perhaps some would agrue that Cook is already fulfilling his potential, a few national cups in the bag and certainly having Sligo punching well above their weight, and a wee trip into Europe too. Given he may not be too clued up about the Scottish game but it's not as if he needs to jump head-first into the transfer market to make radical changes to our squad. He'll no doubt be scouting other teams/players in the Scottish game when/if he gets appointed for the summer transfer market. I have no doubt that Sheerin will be a top manager one day but I feel that he would be much more of a gamble than Cook.

To be fair, we don't know to what extent his issue with The Sun is and how personal it is so I think we'd best leave that up to Geoff to decide if that would affect how he performs in any way. I'm fairly sure 'Paul Cook Wikiepedia' would be a search result found on a few PC's at McD do I doubt this would come as no surprise to them. Do we even know this stance is still current?

I hope it isn't. Looks like we'll find out soon enough.

Where are all the Sligo Rovers fans? They have no forum that I can see on the net. Surely at least one will be interested enough to stick his nose on here to see what all the fuss is about?

If you are out there, then let us know what sort of a Manager we can (potentially) expect!

Where are all the Sligo Rovers fans? They have no forum that I can see on the net. Surely at least one will be interested enough to stick his nose on here to see what all the fuss is about?

If you are out there, then let us know what sort of a Manager we can (potentially) expect!

He's on holiday

http://www.freeforum101.com/sligorovers/index.php?mforum=sligorovers

Judging by the newest registered user, Saints fans have already discovered this. Not sure where most of the 29463 articles are though!

No mention here either -

http://foot.ie/forums/41-Sligo-Rovers

Edited by BlueJ

Back in Jan 2007 a colleague on another board wrote the following about Paul Cooke sacked as manager of Southport

"Just checked on the SFC site to find this not-so-shocking news .

i doubt whether this bombshell will form any part of today's five live sports bulletins , so i thought i would bung it on here.

Anyone on here who would like the job , i'm sure that our chairman would be delighted to hear from you !

We urgently need someone to drum up some enthusiasm in the team , DQ .

To think that just 8 and a half years ago we were in the FA Trophy final at wembley ; should have won it too.

That's all a million miles away now , i'm afraid"

Hopefully things have improve since then - hardly a ringing endorsement

Back in Jan 2007 a colleague on another board wrote the following about Paul Cooke sacked as manager of Southport

"Just checked on the SFC site to find this not-so-shocking news .

i doubt whether this bombshell will form any part of today's five live sports bulletins , so i thought i would bung it on here.

Anyone on here who would like the job , i'm sure that our chairman would be delighted to hear from you !

We urgently need someone to drum up some enthusiasm in the team , DQ .

To think that just 8 and a half years ago we were in the FA Trophy final at wembley ; should have won it too.

That's all a million miles away now , i'm afraid"

Hopefully things have improve since then - hardly a ringing endorsement

To be fair, nobody knows the background to any of his time there...