Edstar101

What will you do if new Rangers are allowed straight into SPL?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don’t care what these guys say, dropping down from the SPL to the third division is career suicide, especially if you're an international player. These guys have clearly nae idea about the third division at all. I feel there may be one or two big regrets half way through the season.

Halfway through the season when they realise they have another two season of this.

In this one case, roll on the winter with pitches worse than brechins a couple of years back.

Bring that right on.

"I'm from a Rangers community in Northern Ireland," Shiels said about dropping from the Scottish Premier League to the Third Division newcomers.

Really? A "Rangers community"? I take it he disagrees with the concept of people supporting their local clubs then.

Honestly, it's people like him that keep all the poisonous, tiresome, Old Firm nonsense going.

I reckon he's just trying to play up to the newco fans. He's on their side, everyone is against us etc, etc.

Everyone is against them, and rightly so. They are cheats and bullies, and the only rightful, ethical position to take is the one that is as far away from them as possible.

agree with most of that, but the bit in bold is also nonsense

I can't make up my mind which is more irritating. Your foolish assertions that the old firm no longer exist ( aye, and next up from popenshaw, the holocaust wasn't that bad...) Or the fact you bring up the point constantly.

Sorry for biting everyone else, but to quote the phrase du jour, my piss is boiling.

I don’t care what these guys say, dropping down from the SPL to the third division is career suicide, especially if you're an international player. These guys have clearly nae idea about the third division at all. I feel there may be one or two big regrets half way through the season.

Agree Dougie.

Reality will bite pretty hard for some of these guys. How McCoist will manage to keep them motivated for the next 2 years I do not know.

http://saintinasia.wordpress.com/2012/08/01/saints-without-rangers-so-no-armageddon-then/

A retake of my article a few months ago on how Saints finances would be affected. Used the new 13m tv deal for the figures. Certainly not armageddon!!

Lots of talk elsewhere that Newco will probably be back in Spl sooner than later, via league reconstruction. Based on £13m tv money per season, how much would each club get based on a 10 team Spl1 and 10 team SPL2? That is your next task Steven:)

If recontruction does happen in next couple of seasons, how could Newco be admitted to the SPL, as they are only associate members of the SFL and the other 29 SFL clubs are full members?

agree with most of that, but the bit in bold is also nonsense

What part of it is nonsense? That all of the 'Old Firm' stuff is tiresome? That people like him keep it going?

I get that you're saying "this is about Rangers, not Rangers and Celtic" - but surely you wouldn't deny that there are people in Ireland who are just as likely to claim they're from a "Celtic community" and, in doing so, are shunning their local clubs? Seriously, what is the difference in whether or not the statement applies to one club or the other? The cause and effect are exactly the same.

I take it you're not an accountant!

ps - nice plug for your Saintees (or is it Rangers) blog!

accountant - no. If you disagree with the figures present your own. I may not be correct with the figures, but I'm trying to make a point that armageddon hasn't happened and never was going to happen.

It's a saints blog. I think every post has had a Saints twist to it, although, I have to credit RTC as the one that got me motivated to write again. hopefully next summer i'll have lots to write about more possible European adventures rather than a bankrupt club in glasgow.

What part of it is nonsense? That all of the 'Old Firm' stuff is tiresome? That people like him keep it going?

I get that you're saying "this is about Rangers, not Rangers and Celtic" - but surely you wouldn't deny that there are people in Ireland who are just as likely to claim they're from a "Celtic community" and, in doing so, are shunning their local clubs? Seriously, what is the difference in whether or not the statement applies to one club or the other? The cause and effect are exactly the same.

But this is'nt about Celtic, shameful stuff a mod taking the topic, off topic :wink:

On the players that have signed, I think most of them will be off the next window, thats the only reason Sevco can pay them just now, if not Sevco will go the same way as oldhun

But this is'nt about Celtic, shameful stuff a mod taking the topic, off topic :wink:

It's not off-topic: the thread is about Rangers. Rangers are widely considered to be part of the 'Old Firm' regardless of whether or not you happen to be annoyed by it or disagree with it. If you feel it's wrong and off-topic to discuss that, then stop trying to provoke discussion about it.

How long has the old firm's shared jersey sponsorship with Tennents got to run if the old firm no longer exist? Is it just a relic of past deals or is it still in place? I think we should stop using the term 'old firm' but only when their mutual deals run out, not until. Eric is clearly ashamed of his club's contracted and emolient association with their "bitter rivals" Sevco and he has every right to feel ashamed.

It's not off-topic: the thread is about Rangers. Rangers are widely considered to be part of the 'Old Firm' regardless of whether or not you happen to be annoyed by it or disagree with it. If you feel it's wrong and off-topic to discuss that, then stop trying to provoke discussion about it.

the clue is in the word "Old" Sevco are a new club, Rangers are dead, so there can't be an "Old Firm"

the clue is in the word "Old" Sevco are a new club, Rangers are dead, so there can't be an "Old Firm"

There will always be an Old Firm even in a historical sense, but as you say it is no more due to the fact that one half is now deceased. However the MSM will never accept this, they feel the need to cling to the term in order to sell papers, TV rights etc.

What happens when, eventually 'The' Rangers get into the SPL for the first time in their history? Will it be the New New Firm?

Yes there can. The old in 'old firm' refers to the old cartel business practices of the two clubs - both were relatively new clubs when the term was first coined. If Celtic distance themselves from old business practices, have the same share status as other clubs and stop participating in a business duopoly then I will stop using the term.

Edited by soulfulsaint

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19102870?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=sportsound

<B> Rangers: SPL appoint commission to investigate payments </B>

The Scottish Premier League have appointed an independent commission to rule on Rangers' alleged use of employee benefits trusts from 2000-11.

The Ibrox club's use of the scheme was the subject of a tax tribunal, which has yet to deliver a verdict.

EBTs were administered by the company that formerly ran Rangers and is now in the process of being liquidated.

The SPL say the commission will determine whether Rangers acted "in breach of the relevant SPL rules".

And a spokesman added: "In the event that the independent commission decides that such breach or breaches occurred the independent commission will have powers to determine what sanctions, if any, are appropriate."

A BBC documentary, "Rangers, The Men Who Sold The Jerseys", found evidence suggesting that 38 Rangers players had received side-letters giving undertakings to fund their sub-trusts with cash.

Scottish FA rules state that all payments made to players in respect of their earnings from football must be declared and clubs falling foul of those rules could face sanctions from the league.

The SPL launched an investigation on 5 March into the scheme Rangers used in an attempt to reduce their tax bill, with the probe covering the period stretching back to the competition's inception in 1998.

The league instructed lawyers, Glasgow firm Harper Macleod, to investigate the allegations of dual contracts.

Rangers' assets were sold to a group led by Charles Green after The Rangers Football Club plc could not be saved from liquidation.

Green's company, now known as The Rangers Football Club Ltd, have relaunched the club, who have been placed in Scottish Division Three after the SPL rejected an application by Green to take over Rangers' share in the top flight.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist has insisted he would "never accept" the club being stripped of any of their titles during the period being investigated.

And Green said last week: "As we have proved in the last couple of months we will stand up to any challenges that face Rangers and will continue to fight for the club's best interests."

I didn't understand what Neil Doncaster said yesterday. One minute we've got the same deal as last year which should be good since all the non OF clubs should get more because Rangers won't get their disproportionate share. Then next we're told each club or all clubs will be a seven figure reduction or each club or all clubs.

Maybe he's said to them to give us a little less so that the Armageddon statement didn't make him look daft. :)

I didn't understand what Neil Doncaster said yesterday. One minute we've got the same deal as last year which should be good since all the non OF clubs should get more because Rangers won't get their disproportionate share. Then next we're told each club or all clubs will be a seven figure reduction or each club or all clubs.

Maybe he's said to them to give us a little less so that the Armageddon statement didn't make him look daft. :)

The only time he tells lies is when his lips move.Is the arrogance thing put on or is he really that bad ?

he said the 'loss is seven figures to all clubs'

What he actually means by this is there is a total loss of 7 figures... spread over 12 clubs. so less than 100k each. Absolutely no talk of 'overseas' rights yet though - we could actually end up in a position where the tv deal is better than last years, as he also didn't say whether the seven figure loss was against last year's deal, or the new deal which was due to start next season...

...i'd put money on it being the latter!

Can't really see the point in investigating whether or not the Old Rangers fiddled the EBTs or not, because the Old Rangers no longer exists. Unless it's to give the evidence needed to strip their winnings off them. Can't see how the Sevco lot could be forced to pay up for the Old Rangers debts either.