#39 - 21/04/12 - Saints 0-2 Dundee Utd - SPL

bigstu

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sheridan played better when Sandaza went off so that may be a plus for next 4 games.

Only because he had to do the work that Fran normally does for him.

Sheridan should have been dropped weeks ago until he got his act together. He's not working hard enough for the team. Riordan & Haber to start up top next week for me.

Only because he had to do the work that Fran normally does for him.

Sheridan should have been dropped weeks ago until he got his act together. He's not working hard enough for the team. Riordan & Haber to start up top next week for me.

Sheridan has not been at the top of his game lately, but that statement there is bollocks

Sheridan has not been at the top of his game lately, but that statement there is bollocks

Fran does the vast majority of the closing down and tracking back and movement off the ball. Sheridan doesn't put the effort in that Fran does.

Sheridan actually has a good bit of pace in him, but you only see it when he gets a chance to get a shot away. That tells it all as far as i'm concerned.

Fran does the vast majority of the closing down and tracking back and movement off the ball. Sheridan doesn't put the effort in that Fran does.

Sheridan actually has a good bit of pace in him, but you only see it when he gets a chance to get a shot away. That tells it all as far as i'm concerned.

I think Sheridan learned that there is little point lately in his doing movement off the ball, as he is unlikely to ever get it from Fran anyway

Saints problems all stemmed from the middle of the park. Roboertson out wide was awful but Adams and Davidson were non-existant. Adams is simply not a footballer. He's a big lad that will run through walls and kick anything that moves, and in the right situation he can be used but putting him side-by-side with Davidson in a 4-4-2 was a big mistake. Saints looked to bypass the midfield but it didn't work as Gunning dominated Farn and Sheridan. Gunning going off could have been a turning point had it not been for Fran's idiocity. As many have pointed out, for all his critics this game showed the importance of Jody Morris.

I thought we had a chance when Gunning(probably the best CH in SPL) went off but as you say Sandaza`s moment of madness scuppurd that.

Daly worthy of PoY on todays performance & probably main difference betwen teams.

I thought we had a chance when Gunning(probably the best CH in SPL) went off but as you say Sandaza`s moment of madness scuppurd that.

Daly worthy of PoY on todays performance & probably main difference betwen teams.

Gunning was very ropey to begin with but has grown in confidence and really started to be a dominant figure. But I think Saints tactics would have been more successful when Neilson moved to CB had they been given a chance to use them. Saints have a big squad of seasoned pros but when you have so many injuries to the same position at the same time you are going to limited. I really don't think Lomas had any other tactic he could have used unless either of the young lads on loan are capable of stepping up, which most think they're not there yet.

On a side note, I said Lomas came across poorly in the week with regards the PFA player of the year thing, he certainly came across well in his post match comments. Didn't make excuses and called it pretty acurately.

Probably a bit cynical but at the time I thought Sheridan only put the effort in after Sandaza went off because he had no place to meander about unnoticed.

There is no reason why he can't play like he did after Sandaza went off from the start. That's what we need right now and all too often he hasn't shown it.

Earlier in the season these 2 were great together because both of them gave it their all. Now we have 1 being a ball greedy git and the other looking half hearted and lack lustre.

Could easily have been 2 up in 5 mins?

The United first has a massive bit of luck when they ricochet goes right to the United player.

We had a whole new midfield today.

We had Adams and Riordan playing first games for 6 months.

The high balls into our box were a problem due to their height, but Mannus did okay. Don't think that cost any of the 2 goals did you?

I think fran may miss 2 games for the sending off not 4.

I would not say Lomas made a hash of it, he was restricted to the players at his disposal. One possible difference I would have made is leave Riordan on but possibly was down to fitness ore than anything else.

Says it all for me MS.

Riordan should start in place for Sandaza next game.

Well below Saints standard for this season, passes incomplete and being hustled by a decent young United side. There is no way United man for man are better than us but on the day they were better. The guy took his goal well but it was a scrappy event. In the first 10 minutes it looked so good but they came into the game slowly although if we'd got a goal during that period we'd have won it. Didn't expect Sandaza to get sent off ever, don't know why. He can however score in the last three games and give us a strong finish. Mannus looked nervous 1st half for a while but settled into it.

I can't believe we're out of the Champions League before Celtic but four legs to go.

Well below Saints standard for this season, passes incomplete and being hustled by a decent young United side. There is no way United man for man are better than us but on the day they were better. The guy took his goal well but it was a scrappy event. In the first 10 minutes it looked so good but they came into the game slowly although if we'd got a goal during that period we'd have won it. Didn't expect Sandaza to get sent off ever, don't know why. He can however score in the last three games and give us a strong finish. Mannus looked nervous 1st half for a while but settled into it.

I can't believe we're out of the Champions League before Celtic but four legs to go.

I'd be interested for you to make your United/Saints XI then. Saints strength is very much in their unity, organisation and teamwork. They also have much more depth to their squad. United have better players, who are young and still learning to gel. When it works it works and they are now learning to compete even when it doesn't. Yesterday being a prime example, United never really got out of 2nd gear going forward but did enough to be comfortable winners (albeit aided by Fran's stupidity) The United fans will of course be over confident and claim that no Saints players would get in the side, which is nonsesne, but I would think it would be top-heavy with United players.

I'd be interested for you to make your United/Saints XI then. Saints strength is very much in their unity, organisation and teamwork. They also have much more depth to their squad. United have better players, who are young and still learning to gel. When it works it works and they are now learning to compete even when it doesn't. Yesterday being a prime example, United never really got out of 2nd gear going forward but did enough to be comfortable winners (albeit aided by Fran's stupidity) The United fans will of course be over confident and claim that no Saints players would get in the side, which is nonsesne, but I would think it would be top-heavy with United players.

No I don't think it would be top heavy with United players. They do have Jon Daly, Mackay-Steven, Paul Dixon, Danny Swanson, Gary Kenneth etc.but they don't have a Fraser Wright, Dave Mackay, Murray Davidson, Jody Morris, Liam Craig, Chris Millar, Lee Croft, Fran Sandaza, Derek Riordan, Cillian Sheridan etc.

Edited by Ronaldo

No I don't think it would be top heavy with United players. They do have Jon Daly, Mackay-Steven, Paul Dixon, Danny Swanson, Gary Kenneth etc.but they don't have a Fraser Wright, Dave Mackay, Murray Davidson, Jody, Morris, Liam Craig, Chris Millar, Lee Croft, Fran Sandaza, Derek Riordan, Cillian Sheridan etc.

we will never merge with the dundee scum.and they are not getting any of our players.

No I don't think it would be top heavy with United players. They do have Jon Daly, Mackay-Steven, Paul Dixon, Danny Swanson, Gary Kenneth etc.but they don't have a Fraser Wright, Dave Mackay, Murray Davidson, Jody Morris, Liam Craig, Chris Millar, Lee Croft, Fran Sandaza, Derek Riordan, Cillian Sheridan etc.

I find it interesting the way you view Saints. I've already drawn comparisons between them and Levante in La Liga. Both have experienced squads with solid and reliable players, but no real stars. Fran is the possible exception to that but he's not been the same since the speculation started about his future. I don't think individually the Saints' squad is anywhere near as good as the are as a collective and that is down to their professionalism and the good work of both McInnes and Lomas. United have players like that too in Rankin, Robertson and Dillon but also have guys who can go on to a higher level.

You and I don't agree often, but between yourself and Smarmy, on this match, you have both posted sense.

Anyone watching the highlights of United v Killie when they won 4-0 must have seen tiny glimpses of the United of the 80's. They could've scored 15 in that game they were so good.

We are delighted to be competing with such giants as United, Hearts and Motherwell, and to be ahead of other greats such as Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs. We have no right to be 4th or 5th, but are there because of our work ethic, not because we are an outstanding and talented side, albeit we have a handful of very good players who ordinarily wouldn't be at a club as small as ours.

This season has been like night and day compared to last season's dire goalless efforts.

Well pleased where we are and with what we can still achieve this season, and disappointed to lose yesterday but the result was fair enough, unlike last time out. :laugh:

You and I don't agree often, but between yourself and Smarmy, on this match, you have both posted sense.

Anyone watching the highlights of United v Killie when they won 4-0 must have seen tiny glimpses of the United of the 80's. They could've scored 15 in that game they were so good.

We are delighted to be competing with such giants as United, Hearts and Motherwell, and to be ahead of other greats such as Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs. We have no right to be 4th or 5th, but are there because of our work ethic, not because we are an outstanding and talented side, albeit we have a handful of very good players who ordinarily wouldn't be at a club as small as ours.

This season has been like night and day compared to last season's dire goalless efforts.

Well pleased where we are and with what we can still achieve this season, and disappointed to lose yesterday but the result was fair enough, unlike last time out. :laugh:

The thing is the only way Saints can really change to have the exceptional players, is either to pay wages they can't afford or to improve the youth set-up. Rarely will you get the likes of a Jody playing at Saints. I know they are working on it but it is quite difficult given the stregth and reputation of both Dundee clubs' set-ups.