Alan Mannus

Dylan-Saints

County can offer wages at least the same as us, theyre being bankrolled a little bit. United will still offer a fair bit more than us and the Wright situation is a complex one, he took a pay cut to join saints after gallon out with Johnston.

Who's saints current goalie coach, or does Wright just take the drills, cause with a bit of work Mannus could improve just enough to make him stand out in the league. I don't doubt his reflexes are good, I just think he could be quicker at times, much like everyone else in here. But let's not moan huh, a reliable keeper is always a nice thing to have.

I believe that Tommy Wright works with the goalies.

I wonder if it has been harder for Mannus to impress some due to the fact that he was obviously signed as a back up keeper for Enks. His replacing of Enks at the time was down to a poor run of form rather than say an injury and then displaying outstanding undroppable form. So in effect he maintained his place by playing less shite than Enks. And was he then kept as a cheaper alternative?

He might be considered in a different light if he was signed as the no 1. I do think that he is a very fine keeper and can only think of him making one mistake that has led to a goal in his time till now. Very solid and reliable.

Thankfully our early bad luck with deflections seems to have stopped. Some of those were cruel and gave the keeper no chance.

I still feel we are unlucky though. Look at the St Mirren game, they get two shots on target in the game and both right in the corner. If we scored the percentage of chances that we concede with we'd be winning by 9 or 10 every week.

Edited by Broon

I see you withdrew that comment. You said "Most of which command at least 5x the salary.". That's just not the case.

ok, maybe an exaggeration, and I don't know exactly what they all get paid, but my point is that I'd love to see any of the Mannus doubters find a better keeper for the money he does get.

For I start, I bet clangers at Aberdeen gets at least double what Mannus gets, and he's half the keeper.

I still feel we are unlucky though. Look at the St Mirren game, they get two shots on target in the game and both right in the corner. If we scored the percentage of chances that we concede with we'd be winning by 9 or 10 every week.

Not so sure we were unlucky, though I get what you mean about unlucky in general because they had the two chances and we missed so many, but Goncalves could have hit four or five and gave our defence as hard a time as they've had since, oh how long?, oh yes, Higdon at Motherwell a few weeks ago. :laugh:

The keeper is often as good as the defence in front of him, and we've not been so great defensively at times, even though we've let in few goals. If that makes any sense. I know what I'm trying to say, so will those who've been to most games. Maybe!

Edited by andrew

I'm just happy not to be shitting myself every time the opposition get a corner

This is something Mannus has improved on recently. He used to be a bit of a shrinking violet in the box for crosses/corners which considering his size is ridiculous. Recently he's been taking one or two corners a game. Still needs to work on crosses from in-play but a definite positive. He obviously works hard at his game listening to his interviews.

Regarding his shot stopping. The only difference between him and the top keepers is that top keepers anticipate (or guess) where the shot is likely to go a bit better. There is an element of reflexes but its not as big as folk make out. That leads them to get there that bit quicker and pull off that unlikely save. I sometimes feel he doesn't make those 'special' saves because he is relying on his reactions.

This is something Mannus has improved on recently. He used to be a bit of a shrinking violet in the box for crosses/corners which considering his size is ridiculous. Recently he's been taking one or two corners a game. Still needs to work on crosses from in-play but a definite positive. He obviously works hard at his game listening to his interviews.

Regarding his shot stopping. The only difference between him and the top keepers is that top keepers anticipate (or guess) where the shot is likely to go a bit better. There is an element of reflexes but its not as big as folk make out. That leads them to get there that bit quicker and pull off that unlikely save. I sometimes feel he doesn't make those 'special' saves because he is relying on his reactions.

Or the opposite can be applied in certain situations...a keeper who takes up good positions doesn't need to make the great diving saves....the save becomes a simple catch...therefore making it look like they have no flair

I'm well aware of who I support and what our budget limitations are. That's why I am happy with Mannus. I just don't fall over myself saying he's a wonderful keeper when quite frankly he's just a 'good' goalkeeper. He does most things well but nothing exceptionally well. For Saints that's absolutely fine and he'll do a job.

However, when people claim he's the second best keeper in the league that's just plain deluded.

I'm in the camp that I'd rather have a keeper who makes mistakes but wins you games also. I enjoy watching a keeper who is capable of the 'wonder save'. We've been spoiled over the years with guys like Main, Rhodes, Encks etc who had the ability to produce something magical. But there's nothing wrong with being a steady keeper.

I was a huge fan of Enks, but over the course of half a season he'd lose you as many points as he won. How often were we talking about his display's in both positive and negative forms last season. Give me a good, solid dependable goalie any day. It's one thing 'keepers and referees have in common, if you aren't talking about them after the game it's generally a good thing.

Or the opposite can be applied in certain situations...a keeper who takes up good positions doesn't need to make the great diving saves....the save becomes a simple catch...therefore making it look like they have no flair

That's a fair point also and in goalkeeping coaching they tell you that a dive means you've failed to position yourself correctly. In most cases you can run to the ball quicker than diving. In reality however from close range that doesn't add up all that well and that's when anticipation comes into it.

I always remember the reflexes test they do with you as kids in training. They hold a long pole and without warning will drop the pole and judge your reactions by how much of the pole dropped between your fingers before you caught it. I always caught before it barely moved. Why? Because I have great reflexes? No, because I watched the guy who was dropping the pole's hands and eyes. You see a muscle movement in the wrist and a change of facial expression milliseconds before they drop it.

Great keepers do the same - they watch the body shape, the eyes, they move slightly one way to encourage players to shoot into the larger area of the goal. All of that means they can move before the ball is even hit. I just don't see that anticipation sometimes in Mannus. I probably am more critical of Goalkeepers than most though.

Edited by Broon

Do any of us actually know what Saints pay players? We are still able to attract players from some of these bigger clubs. Like Robbo from UTD and Wright from Killie. Ross County must pay players in tesco vouchers and livestock for us to

be able to attract their most influencial player

who is bang in form and at a stage of his career

when he needs to be thinking most about £££

yes as you infer we must be doing something right. pity there are so many doom and gloom merchants on here .

Get behind your team and let us NEVER hear boos at the end of a match, home or away, no matter how despondent / disappointed you may feel. C. O. Y. S.

• 2 weeks later...