Money Money Money

Malcolm Lowes Left Foot

We are doomed. Paying players £500-£900 per week is gonna buckle us. We are doomed.

You were the one talking about administration in the summer, were you not!

I think it was maybe Aitchy that made a good post a few months ago about the direction we're heading but personally I'm more content now after the chairman acknowledged we can't go on spending as we are and that the board are working on reducing the wage bill. You have to take him at his word that he is indeed trying to do that.

Ties in with the threads about youth players though. If faith was put in a guy like Liam Caddis, it soon starts to make savings on the wage bill I'd imagine.

You were the one talking about administration in the summer, were you not!

I think it was maybe Aitchy that made a good post a few months ago about the direction we're heading but personally I'm more content now after the chairman acknowledged we can't go on spending as we are and that the board are working on reducing the wage bill. You have to take him at his word that he is indeed trying to do that.

Ties in with the threads about youth players though. If faith was put in a guy like Liam Caddis, it soon starts to make savings on the wage bill I'd imagine.

Yes I was , but that came directly from the Chairman of the club who said that should the TV deal disappear, St.Johnstone would enter administration. As for wage levels, I was told these figures by someone from the club who I cannot name. The wage bill was slashed by at least 10% 3 weeks prior to the start of the season. Again I was told this directly ( and I was not the only one)

Saints are NOT overspending and our chairman is NOT taking undue risks with the future of our club..

Yes I was , but that came directly from the Chairman of the club who said that should the TV deal disappear, St.Johnstone would enter administration. As for wage levels, I was told these figures by someone from the club who I cannot name. The wage bill was slashed by at least 10% 3 weeks prior to the start of the season. Again I was told this directly ( and I was not the only one)

Saints are NOT overspending and our chairman is NOT taking undue risks with the future of our club..

Yes but what transfer dealings have happened since then?

I've no doubt the chairman will be trying to keep us in check financially, We're fine though

I dont really know what to think of this because on first look at our squad it looks like we are overspending when I look at it I think that its only the size of the squad that makes me think that. Of all the players we signed I cant see any that we would have had to spend a huge amount to get them. Hasselbaink and Tade had offers but these were from clubs in a worse financial state than us. Vine & Mclean weren't exactly being chased by a lot of clubs. Miller and Scobbie probably could have stayed where they were but saw us as a more attractive proposition and not sure they will be on huge salaries.

The numbers in our squad look like we must have a high wage bill but I am not sure its as high as I first suspected.

Think we are beginning to see more and more players becoming realistic about what they can get at SPL and lower level English clubs. There are still clubs that can offer silly money but there aren't as many as their used to be. I think a few years ago Hasslebank and the likes of Jonny Hayes would have left the SPL, but perhaps commonsense is beginning to prevail.

We made another loss last season but am I right in thinking we have a sum set aside which we can dip into when necessary? However considering the size of crowds we're getting (3100 yesterday) despite our current run of good form it makes me wonder how long we can keep signing the quality of player we currently have.

We made another loss last season but am I right in thinking we have a sum set aside which we can dip into when necessary? However considering the size of crowds we're getting (3100 yesterday) despite our current run of good form it makes me wonder how long we can keep signing the quality of player we currently have.

It's all relative at present Scotty, we are almost definitely at the bottom off the table re how much we pay players, other teams aren't getting any better crowds, on scale, and after payback from SPL we are potentially better placed than probably all others.

On Thursday night billy Dodds stated that players were now being paid at similar levels to when he started out in the game 20 years ago.

The days of big wages in Scotland are gone.

We may just have the squad numbers spot on. Bar Craig Beattie can you think of anyone who will be on a good wage that is not playing every week?

I actually find it insulting that anybody could class our exceedingly well run club with the likes of Gretna, Livi or even Rangers.

Those clubs went to the wall in part because of fans with heads in the sand. I'd rather Saints fans were willing to ask questions about how their club is run.

On the last accounts Saints had bank balance of 1.6m, with 400k due to the club. There were approx 900k of liabilities due within the year giving a cash position of +1.1m. This was approx 250k down on last years accounts. This will not include the SPL money due for last season 6th place finish, which will be higher than budgeted.

If the wage bill is indeed 10% lower than last season then that will more than cover the 250k deficit last season and will mean we are running at break even.

Each league place is worth about 100k in tv money... so any finish above 6th will see an increase in this amount. A 2nd place finish would add circa 1m to what we got last year. TV deal for SPL totals about 15m (SKY, plus ESPN overseas rights), so prize money will be very close to last season, despite what the Armageddon MSM press say...

Saints are in a very healthy financial position...

Those clubs went to the wall in part because of fans with heads in the sand. I'd rather Saints fans were willing to ask questions about how their club is run.

Those clubs went to the wall totally and utterly because they were run by arrogant idiots who were paying wages well above anything they could possibly afford and were cheating every business that was willing to deal with. To class Saints, who have consistently run the club on a tight rein and produce annual accounts on time etc, with them is IMHO totally crass.

I have no objection at all to fans asking questions about how the club is run and would love to see more transparency but we have a realist at the helm who was genuinely worried about the outcome of the summer shenanigans on clubs like ours and was not willing to just rack up debts and walk away from the like the clubs mentioned.

On Thursday night billy Dodds stated that players were now being paid at similar levels to when he started out in the game 20 years ago.

The days of big wages in Scotland are gone.

We may just have the squad numbers spot on. Bar Craig Beattie can you think of anyone who will be on a good wage that is not playing every week?

I'd argue that David Robertson is probably on a decent wage too. He was offered a new contract at Dundee United, where he seems to have been highly thought of, but opted to come to us.

I think it's right people ask questions. I don't think that we'll have as high a wage bill this year as we did last though, considering the likes of Compton, Croft and Sheridan were on good money at their parent clubs and we were paying a decent percentage of that. Sandaza, Enks, Morris etc all gone too, replaced by guys like Tade who wouldn't command such a high wage I wouldn't have thought (although he's a wonderful human being.)

• 2 months later...

I think its fairly obvious that the Saints finances are ok. Just now but it won't last and crowds are low. The club could be faced with some really tough decisions in the near future in regards to squad size, youth team etc. Possibly even having to go part-time if we were faced with relegation.

We have seen what the fans at Hearts etc can achieve when their club has been faced with financial problems. Could we not do something now before the trouble really starts?

Buying shares? Buying a brick or something? Other clubs have had fans groups rally together and buy players etc. What could we do? Get a fans group together raise funds and even get a fan on the board? Any ideas? Would it be pointless? Is there enough interest in Saints?

I think its fairly obvious that the Saints finances are ok. Just now but it won't last and crowds are low. The club could be faced with some really tough decisions in the near future in regards to squad size, youth team etc. Possibly even having to go part-time if we were faced with relegation.

We have seen what the fans at Hearts etc can achieve when their club has been faced with financial problems. Could we not do something now before the trouble really starts?

Buying shares? Buying a brick or something? Other clubs have had fans groups rally together and buy players etc. What could we do? Get a fans group together raise funds and even get a fan on the board? Any ideas? Would it be pointless? Is there enough interest in Saints?

No, it would not be pointless. To some of us, Saints are very very important. Those of us who really care will do all we can if the need arises. And if saints did end up part-time I for one would still be there week in week out. I am a St.Johnstone support and proud of it..