Saints V Dundee Fc 2Nd January 2013 Ko 2Pm

glenrothes saintee

At the time I couldn't really see and felt that he got booked because he went down spectacularly as he did five minutes before when he won the free kick. I felt the ref thought he had been conned at the free kick and decided to get even.

I agree he did make a meal of it but I thought it was a penalty at the time and I don't think he needs unnecessary criticism.(not meaning you by the way)

Didn't think it was a dive or penalty at the time and still think the same after seeing it again. He was running full pelt, defender leans on him and knocks him off balance. It's not a foul, just poor strength and balance.

Ghostie I think you are being a bit harsh on the lad, I think there was a tangle of legs and was not a dive but also not a penalty.

Agree Broon. Going at pace and someone leans into you is not a dive.

defending the indefensible :sad:

Moral high ground again Ghostie. If a pen had been given would you have been complaining?

I was right behind this and there was definately contact, Pawlett was entitled to go down and I don't know why he is being made to look like the bad guy. If you look at the Dundee defender he thinks the ref has given a penalty.

Contact doesn't entitle anyone to go down, it's a contact sport :shock: That sounds like something Alan Hansen would come up with on MOTD.

Contact doesn't entitle anyone to go down, it's a contact sport :shock: That sounds like something Alan Hansen would come up with on MOTD.

I think its very close to what Gareth Bale said on Saturday when he picked up his fifth booking for diving. thre more than anyone else in the league.

I hate this habit of going down when there is any sort of contact....with some pundits seeming to support players 'inviting' contact so they can go down and get a free kick/penalty. It has ruined the game

I hate this habit of going down when there is any sort of contact....with some pundits seeming to support players 'inviting' contact so they can go down and get a free kick/penalty. It has ruined the game

Agree but if you are sprinting and someone knocks you it's hard to keep your balance. Especially when your not running in a straight line. He's not cheating, he just fell over.

In regards to Pawletts dive/foul. I had a great view in the Ormond Stand and my first thought was definitely a pen. Take into account Pawletts age and consider that he has grown up watching the likes of Michael Owen go over at the slightest contact which has become the norm it seems. Its also likely that in the last few years he has been coached to go down as soon as he feels any contact.

Agree but if you are sprinting and someone knocks you it's hard to keep your balance. Especially when your not running in a straight line. He's not cheating, he just fell over.

Fully agree with both of these, it's very easy to knocked off balance but a lot of the time I think people can stay on their feet but just go down anyway.

I think we've became more like this under Lomas, I thought we were more professional under McInnes. I think we are more petulant and more likely to 'go down' now.

Was talking in general Broon. Have yet to watch the Pawlett incident again on the computer. Looked like a dive at the game, but did say in earlier post that I would wait to pass final judgement until I got another look

Not sure of his exact words but it was along those lines. He said referees need to look closer for contact. It was an arm across his chest. Pretty sure it defies physics for that to send him down.

That's a great example to set kids wanting to play the game. I don't see how anyone can justify cheating.

In regards to Pawletts dive/foul. I had a great view in the Ormond Stand and my first thought was definitely a pen. Take into account Pawletts age and consider that he has grown up watching the likes of Michael Owen go over at the slightest contact which has become the norm it seems. Its also likely that in the last few years he has been coached to go down as soon as he feels any contact.

You gain a pen if you're fouled in the box not if you're touched. It's a physical contact sport & when players go down, like Cregg did on Sat, when they've barely been touched then it's cheating. It also makes it harder for refs to make the right decision. I remember McCoist when he was a tv pundit saying he would go down if he was touched in the box. No wonder kids get the wrong idea.

I think the harshest criticism I have is for Wright and McCracken. Wasted too much ball lumping it up the park to opposing players. Pass it wide to yer fullbacks, FFS. Midfield, come back and call for the short ball.

Unfortunately we had no movement at all so we quickly ran out of options and resorted to lumping it. Movement can be coached, we clearly don't do it.

I think the harshest criticism I have is for Wright and McCracken. Wasted too much ball lumping it up the park to opposing players. Pass it wide to yer fullbacks, FFS. Midfield, come back and call for the short ball.

My thought exactly.i would include Mannus in that.

Surely by now they can see that their distribution is poor & when its not the long ball to Tade wasn`t working.

Lomas should be seeing this & telling them to use the full backs who should then be using midfield. Unfortunatly on the few occasions they did that McKay gave the ball to Millar who had a man on him.