1998/1999 V 2013/14

Edstar101

The amazing start to this season has raised the question of what was the best Saints team between the current squad and the team of 1998/1999. It is always difficult to compare and we will never know what the outcome would be if the two teams faced off against each other whilst both still in their prime. In true newspaper stylee, thought I would look at a comparison between the two likely starting line ups and subs

Alan Mannus v Alan Main

Couldn't start any harder!! Main was a terrific keeper in his prime, capable of miraculous saves. Mannus is proving to be one of the best keepers in Scottish football at the moment, more steady and reliable as opposed to 'flare' though.

At the moment, would have to go for Main...but that could change after this season!!

Dave Mackay v John McQuillan

Super Dave at a canter

Tam Scobbie v Alan Preston

Scobbie has still to win over some doubters in the fans ranks. For me, he has a great ability to read a game and has excellent positional sense. Preston though probably edges it

Frazer Wright v Darren Dods

No contest....big Fraz

Steven Anderson v Alan Kernaghan

Ando only loses out here because Kernaghan was pure class

Chris Millar v John O'Neill

Both similar players in stature. O'Neill shades it for me

Paddy Cregg v Paul Kane

Real heavyweight bout!! Kano has to take it on points

Murray Davidson v Nick Dasovic

Can only call this one a draw

Nigel Hasselbank v Miguel Simao

Again, very similar in stature and also in style. I would like to think that Nige will go on to make voting for him easy

Steven MacLean v Roddy Grant

Okay, Rodders was in the twilight of his career and had lost any pace he never had....but, how could I not vote for him!! MacLean to me is the most technically gifted player at the club this season

Stevie May v George O'Boyle

Stevie will have to go some to even get near George at his best

Subs / Others

Callum Davidson v Gary Bollan

Wouldn't fancy a 50/50 with either of them, although Gary was probably just that bit more mental. He doesn't get near CD for class though

Brian Easton v Nathan Lowndes

Let's wait and see shall we

Liam Caddis v Keith O'Halloran

Caddis is a great prospect and wins this hands down

Paul Kane had a better eye for a pass than Paddy and was more of a goal threat.

Paddy had the whole Rosenborg midfield in his pocket. Best performance I can remember seeing from a saints midfielder.

I did say based on the last three games. On last seasons performance Kano would edge it for me, but I remain hopeful that we are seeing the new improved Paddy Cregg.

Alan Mannus v Alan Main

Where Main in his prime was a brilliant shot stopper his kicking throughout his career was shocking,i always cringed at any passbacks.Im very impressed with Mannus so for now Mannus gets my vote.

Dave Mackay v John McQuillan

Mackay for me,Dave has a better all round game and is easily utilised.

Tam Scobbie v Alan Preston

Tam has a wee bit to go before he reaches Prestons ability but he'll get there

Frazer Wright v Darren Dods

Wright all the way,Dods was good for own goals and looked like a pair of scissors when he tried to run

Steven Anderson v Alan Kernaghan

Kernaghan,you could see why he was rated once in the million quid bracket.Ando's having a brill time the now though

Chris Millar v John O'Neill

Calling a draw here,there really isnt much seperating them.

Paddy Cregg v Paul Kane

Paddy is a workhorse where Kano probably edged it on the skill level,close call but i'll take Kano for now

Murray Davidson v Nick Dasovic

Dasovic played his best football with us but Davidson is our little gem with lots more to prove and offer,draw

Nigel Hasselbank v Miguel Simao

Like others i dont think we've seen the best of Hasselbank yet consistently wise,so its Simao

Steven MacLean v Roddy Grant

Rod the bod wins hands down.

Stevie May v George O'Boyle

Stevie just starting out in the top team but could go on to be a major player if his potential is anything to go by,for his proven record O'Boyle will be first in line

Callum Davidson v Gary Bollan

Davidson by far the more technically gifted,although Bollan would run through a brick wall without stopping,Davidson edges it.

Brian Easton v Nathan Lowndes

As it stands Lowndes

Liam Caddis v Keith O'Halloran

Caddis will be the better given a little more time

So i score it 5 to the recent,two draws and seven to the legends,but the potential we have now could well overthrow that as the season progresses.

I think the 98/99 team were better technically, but this team would probably outwork them into submission.

It wouid be some match though!

Yeah agree with that,the work ethic and mental strength we have in the team now is brilliant,as i already said we also have players who have yet to reach their full potential where as the 98/99 team were mainly at their peak.

Out of the 4 left backs, Calum in his prime would get it.  Based on where each of the 4 were/are in their careers, then I would have Bollan in there - he was immense in that season.  Pretty much agree with anything else that's been said - including the comments about the attitude and work-rate of the current team.

Have to say, I think that individually the 98/99 team wins it in every department - and by quite a significant distance in some areas. The only one from the current team who might just edge it is Fraser Wright over Darren Dods. Also Mannus is bloody good but I wouldn't say he's proven himself to be better than Main just yet.

But I also think the main thing both teams have in common is that, as a unit, they amount to far more than the sum of their parts. And I've never seen any group of Saints players who show so much team spirit and willingness to battle for the cause as the current team. Because of that they're an absolute joy to watch - not because they're outstanding footballers, but because every single one of them puts in everything I want to see from a player as a fan. Even Hasselbaink has shown an incredible attitude and workrate this season - there's not a single passenger or Big Time Charlie among them.

John O'Neil was an immense player for us. Never stopped running backwards and forwards all game. I was gutted when we lost him to Hibs. Not saying Midge isnt any good like.

I'd agree with that.  O'Neil would be close to being the best individual in either squad to be honest.

The 98/99 team were on their day capable of utterly battering teams. Think back to Motherwell 5-0, Aberdeen 4-1 and the like. They were equally capable off a few off days but probably edge it on footballing ability over the current crop.

That said, the boys playing now are probably the best 'unit' I've ever seen play for Saints and as a group can achieve something great I reckon.

Eh?  No fixture this season against them in December on a Wednesday night.

Nearest we'll get is November 23 at 1500 unless match is postponed due to the weather conditions and is re-scheduled for December midweek.

However, you may still get your wish. Will you be there though?

I am thoroughly impressed my Nigel so far this campaign but i will properly judge him when we are playing on a Wednesday December night at Inverness