U-20 Season 2013/14

Edstar101

Much improved performance tonight with them controlling the game for large periods and mainly by playing the ball on the ground - well done. Special mention to young Mr Easton who impresses me more and more every time I see him :cool: Still trying to work out the majority of the man in blacks weird & wonderful decisions!!

Someone on twitter (who surely must post here?) saying Steeves, Gray, someone called Kez? and Coultress likely to be leaving. Kez = Keiran Stewart?

Is Gray leaving because someone is offering him football or are we releasing him into the void?

Has the guy Wade Joyce ever played, does he have any potential?

Edited by Jiangsu Sainty

No I'm with you that they are leaving as they are too old to play u20s and there is no reserves, just wondering if in the example of Gray, who I think has been our captain no? it is that we don't think he can be first team, or that he is choosing to go and get first team football and has offers lined up? Either is totally forgivable on both parts im sure.

I'd have to feel for someone like Coultress who has relocated up north for a few years for essentially nothing. I wonder if we start releasing our acquired youth en masse we might stop being able to attract them. I'm currently in favour of what seems to be our current policy of sign 5 and hope 1 comes good, but it really looks like the longer it goes on the less viable it would be.

No I'm with you that they are leaving as they are too old to play u20s and there is no reserves, just wondering if in the example of Gray, who I think has been our captain no? it is that we don't think he can be first team, or that he is choosing to go and get first team football and has offers lined up? Either is totally forgivable on both parts im sure.

I'd have to feel for someone like Coultress who has relocated up north for a few years for essentially nothing. I wonder if we start releasing our acquired youth en masse we might stop being able to attract them. I'm currently in favour of what seems to be our current policy of sign 5 and hope 1 comes good, but it really looks like the longer it goes on the less viable it would be.

Is that approach any different from other clubs though?

The truth is that some players serve their time in the 'under ages' at a top flight club and make the move into the full squad at that club. Some attract the attention of another 'big' club and move there. The majority though go down a league or two, some climb back up to the top through a series of transfers, some stay at a lower level and some drop out of football altogether

The truth is that some players serve their time in the 'under ages' at a top flight club and make the move into the full squad at that club. Some attract the attention of another 'big' club and move there. The majority though go down a league or two, some climb back up to the top through a series of transfers, some stay at a lower level and some drop out of football altogether

One of those rare moments when I agree with you!!!

The problem is, (and I have been on about it since we dropped our reserves and was told we would have friendlies instead against English teams!!), is the step up from U20's without the hardening up of reserve football is often too much for some of these young lads and also deprives first team squad players of much needed match practice/fitness.

I didn't say it was.

What I think does differ us from some other clubs is the amount of players we have been enticing up from England to come play in our u20s, which I think is a good idea on our part, assuming we aren't paying them too much.

My point was that if we release them all, like we have Maddison, and seemingly will Coultress, then I fear we won't be able to entice that many more.

Of course we will keep having a u20 of more local (i.e. Scottish) players, like every other team

I didn't say it was.

What I think does differ us from some other clubs is the amount of players we have been enticing up from England to come play in our u20s, which I think is a good idea on our part, assuming we aren't paying them too much.

My point was that if we release them all, like we have Maddison, and seemingly will Coultress, then I fear we won't be able to entice that many more.

Of course we will keep having a u20 of more local (i.e. Scottish) players, like every other team

It wasn't a challenging question.....just a question really!!

I guess, for those lads from down south, if they feel that they have developed as players, even though we don't keep them on, they may still be happy with their experiences up here and feel that it sets them up better for getting a club down south? Or maybe they go home all pissed off.....I don't know

So the 4 lads playing regularly with Dundee Utd should have played in a reserve league before the 1st team?

I got the impression from our chairman and manager that in the future if young players are good enough they are old enough.

Football is changing and imo kids coming through are more technical and athletic than ever.

You never know we may even start applauding an off the ball run or a short 10 yard pass that opens the defence up rather than a blooter up the park or a crunching tackle.

• 2 weeks later...

In there last home game of the season, the young saints team can feel hard done by. As the got a 3-3 draw against Motherwell. But the first Motherwell goal should of not counted as Steeve's got fouled right in front of the linesman, who basically pointed out he dived. In the last 5 minutes or so Motherwell went done to 9 men.

Saints scorers where first goal, either Tomlinson or O.G. Second goal was Tolminson and 3rd goal was Easton.