Forfarshire Cup Match

Jad

Forfarshire Cup is a bit of a farce isn't it? Not sure who organises it (is there a Forfarshire FA??? Is there even such a thing/place as Forfarshire?) but I'd like to see it made into a pre-season tournament. It could be played over one or two days during the summer, with one local club hosting all the matches - fans buy a day ticket, spend the day at a ground and get to see a few different games. Teams involved could maybe agree to field younger players, depending on what suits. Maybe there could even be a different club from outside the region invited to take part each year.

If my memory's correct, the Stirlingshire Cup is played mostly in pre-season with only the semi-finals and final during the season.

If folk think our participation in the Forfarshire Cup is a bit random, Dumbarton play in the Stirlingshire Cup every year!

We should field our strongest possible team to get a 4-0 win to make up for the the last game, whoever that was against.

Mind a few years ago Alloa got to the final against Falkirk. Both teams agreed to play their youth sides and Alloa rolled up at Brockville with their Under-19s - only to find Falkirk fielding a full strength side!

Think it finished 7-0.

There is a Forfarshire FA. Forfarshire is just another, rarely used, name for Angus. I think Saints must have been invited to play in the tournament at one time, given we aren't based in Angus.

=====

Similarly, could never understand while growing up, why Forfarshire cricket club played in Broughty Ferry.

Enjoyed the match last night. Last minute goal well taken and saw us through to penalties. Thought Burt loked very assured in goal. Dylan Easton was a handful all night and showed some great touches. Teams were quite even with Utniteds no 12 ( 8 think) making a difference when he came on. Ref booked a couple of players for very little but it was never a dirty game.

Penalty shoot out went our way with confident penalty takers and a save from our goalie plus a Utd miss. Big thanks to Gareth Rodger for bringing the cup up to the stand and taking time to allow photos to be taken. Good to see the Saints staff from the Muirton suite at the game too.

Utd had several of their young first team players who were watching the match in the stand and hats off to John Soutar along with Ryan Gauld and others who made a wee girl called Skye's night by sitting with her and getting her picture taken. When you hear so much about arrogant players these guys were a breath of fresh air.

All in all a good night, well done Saints !

I can remember these games being played from around 1964/1965

The Perthshire Cup is a very old competition - I think it may well date back to the 19th century. In its early days there were competitive matches between teams in Perth and its surrounding areas - Fair Cty Athletic and Erin Rovers were Saints' early rivals. But as St Johnstone began to make their mark on a nationally, the competitiveness of the competition waned, although I remember reading old reports of Saints teams, even when we were in the Scottish League, travelling to places like Breadalbane and inflicting heavy defeats.

The Forfarshire Cup was an alternative competition and its advantage over the Perthshire Cup was that several senior teams were involved, including the Dundee teams, Forfar and Brechin. I don't think Saints took part until the late 80s, but certainly the final in 1989 at McDiarmid againts Dundee attracted a 5,000 crowd. But the importance of this event too has waned and no longer is it a competition for first -teamers.

Very poor game last night, although obviously it is always good to get a win over the Arabs and win a trophy!

Usually our U20's are full of energy and take the game by the scruff of the neck, yet last night we looked weary. Kieran Stewarts drive, power and height was a big miss in the middle of the park and we struggled with both Gray and Taylor-McKenzie being outmuscled. We lined up in 4-2-3-1 formation and the gameplan seemed to be to get the ball forward to Kane as quickly as possible, then get Caddis, Easton and Coultress running off him, but it never really materialised with Kane often being isolated.

The game looked all over when United hit us on the counter attack and got the lead, but credit to the young lads, they kept working and we were fortunate to see the United keeper kick it off Chris Kanes back in the last minute, with the ball nestling in the net.

After that it was the lottery of the penalty shoot-out and our first team could learn a thing or two from the U20''s on how to strike a penalty. All the Saints players struck their penalties with confidence and power.

Best peformances for me were from Gareth Rodgers at centre half, who impresses me more and more every time I see him. He is strong in the tackle, good in the air and comfortable on the ball. Hopefully we can get him out on loan to get him some exeprience. As always, Chris Kane put in a very good shift and was a nuisance throughout for the United defence. Kane is another one who would really benefit from a loan spell. This guy really excites me though, with a bit of luck he will tunr out to be a real good player for us. Liam Caddis continues to worry me. He looks low on confidence and a shadow of the player I have watched for the past 3/4 years.

Thats twice our U20's have defeated the Arabs in the past few weeks, I just wish  our first team were capable of doing the same more often!

Very poor game last night, although obviously it is always good to get a win over the Arabs and win a trophy!

Usually our U20's are full of energy and take the game by the scruff of the neck, yet last night we looked weary. Kieran Stewarts drive, power and height was a big miss in the middle of the park and we struggled with both Gray and Taylor-McKenzie being outmuscled. We lined up in 4-2-3-1 formation and the gameplan seemed to be to get the ball forward to Kane as quickly as possible, then get Caddis, Easton and Coultress running off him, but it never really materialised with Kane often being isolated.

The game looked all over when United hit us on the counter attack and got the lead, but credit to the young lads, they kept working and we were fortunate to see the United keeper kick it off Chris Kanes back in the last minute, with the ball nestling in the net.

After that it was the lottery of the penalty shoot-out and our first team could learn a thing or two from the U20''s on how to strike a penalty. All the Saints players struck their penalties with confidence and power.

Best peformances for me were from Gareth Rodgers at centre half, who impresses me more and more every time I see him. He is strong in the tackle, good in the air and comfortable on the ball. Hopefully we can get him out on loan to get him some exeprience. As always, Chris Kane put in a very good shift and was a nuisance throughout for the United defence. Kane is another one who would really benefit from a loan spell. This guy really excites me though, with a bit of luck he will tunr out to be a real good player for us. Liam Caddis continues to worry me. He looks low on confidence and a shadow of the player I have watched for the past 3/4 years.

Thats twice our U20's have defeated the Arabs in the past few weeks, I just wish  our first team were capable of doing the same more often!

Agree with your post, Caddis did not look comfortable last night and didn't produce the qualities that he has shown in the past. Midfield got bossed out of the game. Kane, Rodger and Easton were best for me. Plus Burt looks like he has the making of being a good goalie. Utd should have won it as they showed more pace , skill and fight but our guys were a credit in their penalty taking, perhaps they should give our 1st team boys a coaching session in penalty taking !

Genuine idiot question, based on the Caddis comments.  When an u-20 player is involved on the fringe of the first team, I assume he must train with the first team, and therefore be continually preparing for first team matches,  This would have included one or two players from last night, who may have suffered the wrath of TW after Saturday, and had extra training, arse bootings etc as a result.  Is that the case, or do these players switch from youth to full training depending on the upcoming fixtures?  I would have thought for Caddis in particular that chopping and changing would be awkward for the first team preparations. Is he just expected to play an extra game a week?