Forfarshire Cup Match

Jad

Thanks guys, it was just that there was no info on our sites eg St J official club page etc. when I tried to check it out on other sites all I could see was a reference to 201/2012 so I thought it might be a mistake.

Will be going as it is just round the corner from me. Presume it will be like the last U20's game and that both sets of fans will be accommodated in the same stand.

Will be there with my other half who is an Arab but got to say that when we went to the U20"s game a few weeks ago at Tannadice it was great that both sets could sit together.

Forfarshire Cup is a bit of a farce isn't it? Not sure who organises it (is there a Forfarshire FA??? Is there even such a thing/place as Forfarshire?) but I'd like to see it made into a pre-season tournament. It could be played over one or two days during the summer, with one local club hosting all the matches - fans buy a day ticket, spend the day at a ground and get to see a few different games. Teams involved could maybe agree to field younger players, depending on what suits. Maybe there could even be a different club from outside the region invited to take part each year.

Forfarshire Cup is a bit of a farce isn't it? Not sure who organises it (is there a Forfarshire FA??? Is there even such a thing/place as Forfarshire?) but I'd like to see it made into a pre-season tournament. It could be played over one or two days during the summer, with one local club hosting all the matches - fans buy a day ticket, spend the day at a ground and get to see a few different games. Teams involved could maybe agree to field younger players, depending on what suits. Maybe there could even be a different club from outside the region invited to take part each year.

Is it not an under -20 competition these days? I'm sure I read that it had been agreed as that a few seasons ago

There is a Forfarshire FA.  Forfarshire is just another, rarely used, name for Angus.  I think Saints must have been invited to play in the tournament at one time, given we aren't based in Angus.

The only problem with that is we already play the same teams to much already without adding preseason games against the same teams. 

Edited by PerthSeany

The only problem with that is we already play the same teams to much already without adding preseason games against the same teams. 

...but we normally tend to play a few of those same teams during pre-season anyway (Forfar, Dundee etc). I should have also added that I'd keep it as an underage tournament, so it wouldn't really interfere with what the first team's plans and fixtures were.

Dewars Shield:  Presented by Lord Provost Dewar of Perth, this competition was played between the winners of the Aberdeenshire, Forfarshire, Perthshire and Stirlingshire Cups, the winners being declared champions of the four Northern counties.  The Baron Dewar was one of the sons of the founder of the John Dewar & Sons whisky distillery, and was widely known as a witty and forceful speaker, breeder of greyhounds and horses, and also a motoring pioneer. Attempts by the Fifeshire FA to be included were knocked back so as not to disturb the four club symmetry of the tournament. Originally played at the tail-end of the season, in the post-war era it was often played into the following season or even stretched over several seasons, if played at all. After an abeyance of 12 years, the competition was resurrected by, the now Lord Forteviot in 1927. If a county hadn’t played off their Cup, or it was still running, then That county FA would nominate a suitable club to enter the Dewar Shield. The Shield was last played for in 1982, and resides still at the McDiarmid Stadium’s boardroom in Perth.

Edited by Coltrane