Perth Post Offce

Carron

I think we are all aware of the plans to transfer the Post Office in South Street to W H Smith in the High Street. However I see W H Smith are looking for a manager (£19895 per year). Obviously we haven't been publicly told yet the transfer is going ahead.

http://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=Y2Zlbm5lbGwuMzU0ODUuMTc2MEB3aHNtaXRoLmFwbGl0cmFrLmNvbQ

All ths hassle for £19895 a year. Not a post office employee, but a W H Smith employee.
Edited by Carron

I find this scary.  It's one thing closing small suburban and rural POs; but for a town the size of Perth to lose its freestanding central PO takes it to a whole new dimension. I'm not in Perth city centre much these days but used the South street PO a few months ago; had to wait over 20 minutes in a queue and if this is typical I can imagine the queues in WH Smith snaking round the shop & interfering not insignificantly with the rest of the shop's business.  No doubt the management have thought of this already but I have to ask will putting in a "manager" on a salary of less than the national average wage help the post office section run more efficiently?

I don't think so.

They will start off with 4/5 staff, then as time goes on they will drop it to 2/3 counter staff then watch the queues, they will not transfer the existing Post Office staff, in the rare event they do they will lose all rights built up over the years no TUPE transfer, and will be on the Minimum wage, no Living wage.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/perth-kinross/plans-for-post-offices-a-direct-attack-on-perth-1.90347

"The move comes as the Post Office bids to address the losses made by many of the branches, with Perth said to have recorded a deficit of £96,000 over the past 12 months."

Cash is what it is all about.

perhaps the fact you had to wait 20 minutes to be served (poor customer service?) is one of the reasons it is closing

I've always found queues in post offices the rule rather than the exception. I hate using them, to the extent that I send my overseas relatives on line vouchers for birthdays & Xmas.  The problem appears not to be high numbers of customers but the complexity & time consuming nature of their business.  I cannot see how this could possibly improve as an agency of a high street chain store.

Probably the last time I have been in a official post office is when I have been back in Perth. There is Canada Post or Poste if your French but most of the outlets are in convenience stores or large drug store like Boots for example seems to work ok but staff defo not getting wages the postalworkers that used to provide the service were.

The level off service can be up and down depending on how dedicated the agent is to staffing this part off his or her operation.

perhaps the fact you had to wait 20 minutes to be served (poor customer service?) is one of the reasons it is closing

I have to say, the folks in the Perth branch have always been absolutely lovely whenever I've had to deal with them - and this despite them having to deal with a human wave of arseholes, day in and day out, as well as a job that seems rather complex. 

The big lines seem less about "poor customer service", and more that you do everything through the post office nowadays - some of it quite ferociously bureaucratic. All it takes is one slightly deaf old lady needing to renew her passport, or someone with ropey English wanting to renew their car tax, and BAM, that's a member of staff tied up for fifteen minutes.

Now the Dunkeld Road post office, they can get tae. Bunch of evil natured old dragons.

You used to be able what day it was in Perth dependant on what was going on at the Post Office.

Monday; Brew Day. Pubs were busy at lunchtime and the junkies were looking happy and not begging so much

Tuesday: Child Support Day. Couldnae get moving in shops or on the pavementdue to the amount of prams and buggys.

Thursday: Pension Day. Not a good day to visit the Post Office as the normal 20 minute wait became 1h and 20m. This overspilled in to queues at BHS cafe and the like which also became noteriously slow. 

Friday: Special needs Hand out day. This was the scariest day of all as most of Murray Royal Hospital were marauding around the town scaring the feck out of everyone :shock:  This was also known as Village Idiots Day.   

------------------------------------------------------

once upon a time it was a good job to have........and now? dealing with shouty people...

------------------------------------------------------

once upon a time it was a good job to have........and now? dealing with shouty people...

It was a bit like Greece was yesteryear. In the good old days, Civil Services workers would get a very comfortable wage and a fantastic pension and retire around 52. Where as someone who studied as a Vet would be on the breadline as there was no government handouts - only taxes and would work extremely hard to make a successful career. I'm sure sixties saint will have a comment :roll:

Edited by AthensSaint

• 1 month later...

The mad referee is absolutely correct! The post office in South Street  will close at 5:30pm on Wednesday 19 February 2014, with the new branch opening at 9am on Thursday 20 February 2014. The recruitment process started during the consultation process, quite simply this move is all about cash. Anyone employed there will be employed by WH Smith. The new branch will be on the ground floor of the shop.

I'm not surprised at the move to WHS. We have a lot of POs "indoors" in my neck of the woods.

They tend to be in a separate area from the normal WHS fare. 

Don't see what's the problem. PO have to cut costs like everyone else.