Book Of The Final?

sleepless

have I read somewhere that the club now manages its own archive? Anyone know who to get in touch with? Maybe worth a trip home before the final to trawl for likely pics.

Think Paul Smith, Football administrator Was dealing with the archive. I may be wrong but would be worth a shout making contact with Paul 

• 1 month later...

Reading the threads on here, it is obvious there is a truly enormous groundswell of affection for the club and there are many supporters whose dedication to the team is remarkable. It gives the lie to all those people who say Perth isn't a fitba town and St Johnstone have a low fan base. We've got people coming home from around the world for the match. There is some truly moving discussion of family and friends who dreamed of such a day and didn't live long enough to see it. They will see the final through our eyes, all of them.

I've wondered about pulling together a book of various reminiscences and thoughts from members of the forum (and wider), to come out soon after the final. This would be published on-demand through Lulu Press. I've used them a few times for University research because it works out cheaper than photocopying. A couple of hundred pages A4, black and white, properly paperback bound with colour covers, would retail probably around £6 or so. That's the cost price. If we added a couple of quid to the price, profits could then go to the club. I'd obviously open up the accounts to verify that. The club could even have access to the Lulu account if they wanted.

Would people be interested in that?

1. Would you contribute your recollections to me via PM so I can collate into a book.

2. Would you buy such a book?

The good thing about on-demand publishing is that you don't need upfront cash. People order online and a book is printed for them and sent about a week later.

Any thoughts? Is it worth pursuing?

Great idea Sleepy.....might I suggest a title....

'Not a football City!' Perhaps a foreword/contributions from by Stuart Cosgrove, Roddy Grant, Billy Dodds, Allan Preston, Paul Sturrock

Would anyone like to write something on Drew Rutherford or Don McVicar?

I could tell you about an incident with McVicar when he was at Partick . Might not be what you're looking for though . Let's put it this way he was acting a cock and ended up knocked out , it was in Perth if that makes any difference .

Could do a wee thing on Drew for you Rob - nothing too big just my words on one of my heroes.

----------

that would be great, thanks. I think Drew is my all-time favourite. He was just such a steady influence, an absolute rock in the centre of the team. Every team needs someone you can rely on, and Drew was that man.

On the McVicar story, lets just say he was quite pleased when we lost a goal and was soon reminded which part of the country he was in....

No the same story as mine then . Mine involved a Sunday night in Morgans (or whippity scourie or some other crap name) with Don and Colin Mcglashan . Let's just say they would have felt sore in the morning .

----------

that would be great, thanks. I think Drew is my all-time favourite. He was just such a steady influence, an absolute rock in the centre of the team. Every team needs someone you can rely on, and Drew was that man.

I was a teenager in the early 80s and went to all the home games at Muirton park. I must admit Drew was my fav player. John Brogan got all the headlines but Drew held the team together.

15 years later I ended up working beside Drew. For a laugh I asked him for an autograph and he told me to F^&k off. We played fives together for years after that.

Sometimes I had to pinch myself as I couldn't believe that I was in the same team as my boyhood hero.

He was a great guy and was funny and had a great away about him. Sadly he was taken from us too soon

RIP Drew, gone but not forgotten.

No the same story as mine then . Mine involved a Sunday night in Morgans (or whippity scourie or some other crap name) with Don and Colin Mcglashan . Let's just say they would have felt sore in the morning .

heres another one.don got thrown out the strathy bridgend for being a prat by bozzer.the whole team were over that night as well.

still was a braw player in his two stints with the club.

Not Dodds or Sturrock for me thanks.  Neither ever put Saints first.

i agree

Fair point lads....lets be proactive and get Stevie May on that list, you know sooner or later he will move on.......the b******!  :roll:

What's your point?

My post was a response to a post that suggested getting someone, presumably you meant a Saints "legend"  to write a foreword for the book.  My opinion is that neither Sturrock or Dodds are Saints legends, or more importantly, have any great affinity to Saints.  United will always be Sturrock's first love, and money or Billy Dodds' ego will always be Billy Dodds' first love.  I realise that both of the men have United connections and that you are completely against criticism of any individual who has ever had anything to do with your club (your continued defence of Levein proves this) - but this post really is pathetic.

PS.  Wherever Stevie May ends up, he is and always will be a Saints fan - do you see the difference there?

Edited by jhq

What's your point?

My post was a response to a post that suggested getting a Saints legend to write a foreword for the book.  My opinion is that neither Sturrock or Dodds are Saints legends, or more importantly, have any great affinity to Saints.  United will always be Sturrock's first love, and money or Billy Dodds' ego will always be Billy Dodds' first love.  I realise that both of the men have United connections and that you are completely against criticism of any individual who has ever had anything to do with your club (your continued defence of Levein proves this) - but this post really is pathetic.

PS.  Wherever Stevie May ends up, he is and always will be a Saints fan - do you see the difference there?

i agree

What's your point?

My post was a response to a post that suggested getting someone, presumably you meant a Saints "legend"  to write a foreword for the book.  My opinion is that neither Sturrock or Dodds are Saints legends, or more importantly, have any great affinity to Saints.  United will always be Sturrock's first love, and money or Billy Dodds' ego will always be Billy Dodds' first love.  I realise that both of the men have United connections and that you are completely against criticism of any individual who has ever had anything to do with your club (your continued defence of Levein proves this) - but this post really is pathetic.

Fair enough jhq, it was really meant to be a light-hearted response.....and yes I defend most of those who have played for United.  I think you are being a little harsh on Dodds and Sturrock.  Sturrock a local lad who played in the Perthshire junior leagues, actually left a job at Tannadice to move to McD and did an excellent job. Dodds moved from Dundee, helping Saints remain in the top flight, doubling the investment (400k clear profit) and ending any hope the Fun had of staying in the top flight.  He has played for all three Tayside clubs and will be a prominent media pundit for decades to come.

Regards Stevie May, did he not grow up a Rangers fan?  then again so did Stevie Broon, so perhaps you can't hold it against him!  :twisted:  

either him or Roddy. Since it's a book about both players and fans, Roddy would seem to me to fit almost equally into both camps.

is anyone in touch with him regularly?  An approach from someone he knows might be better.

What about Andy (supersub) Brannagin? He's still about Perth?

:cool:  coolest saints player i ever had a pint with. And a pretty sarcastic/witty chap.