Motherwell V Saints. Sat. 31/1/15

The ghost of Jim Morton

Who's all going down to Motherwell on Saturday??  Given wells current problems, a win  should be achievable IF we  play like we did against the Sheep.  Team wise, the manager has some big decisions to make. I hope Kane gets a start.

Edited by The ghost of Jim Morton

Fully expect collum to give Motherwell some west coast bias, during the game after there hard luck

stories against utd.

Is Willie Collum the ref!? Yikes! Although you will find he will be equally bad for both sides!?

There is bound to be some controversy as he struggles to keep a handle on the game!

He truly is up there amongst some of the most incompetent referees to grace the game!

COYS⚽⚽

Think you will find the comments were he is equally bad for both sides, which does not make him a good referee.

Folk are quite entitled to moan, no matter which team they support.

He has been very fortunate to have officiated at Euro/International level, however I fear his days in that field are in the past.

Honestly some people on here would moan no matter who referee's any saints game. Collum has refereed in the champions league and is a decent official who has had a couple of recent poor performances - just like every player has had in their career. 

Referees are like Footballs version of the Government. A convenient scape-goat to be blamed when everything goes wrong but something to ignore and sweep under the carpet when things are going well.

So should we just accept it when they are shit?

Unless you are fully confident you could do a better job then yes.

Always find it odd when people blame referees. Firstly because football is basically a pantomime and none of it really matters and secondly because it's nowhere near as easy a job as people like to believe.

Unless you are fully confident you could do a better job then yes.

Always find it odd when people blame referees. Firstly because football is basically a pantomime and none of it really matters and secondly because it's nowhere near as easy a job as people like to believe.

I agree that people are often irrational when it comes to criticism of referees....they have a very difficult job and are not helped by the fact that modern players try at every step to deceive them.

I don't agree with the 'if you can't do better then don't complain' philosophy. If I pay for a meal, and the chef is being paid for cooking it, and I find it to be below my expectations, I may well complain....to do so doesn't mean that I should be able to cook that meal better than the chef

A fine point Edstar, where I would find fault in your comparison is that going to a restaurant is very much a service being provided to you whereas attending a football match is an event you are a spectator of. Not to say it's a bad example but I would feel differently about being served a crap meal and seeing a crap refereeing performance.

I've never known it be okay accept mediocrity just because we cant do better. 

We pay to watch it. 

Fair point but how do you suggest we address the issue? Highly paid continental referees? Sacking referees for making too many mistakes as you assess their performance? Do away with referees completely?

I tend to ignore referees for the most part during a football game, obviously if they make a blunder I'll moan about it but there is no point holding a grievance after the game is over. People calling for Willie Collums head just bewilder me.

Also people saying "we'll get decisions against us because of west coast bias". If you are having a laugh then fair enough but if you seriously believe it I don't think your tin foil hat is on tight enough.

Referees are highly paid in this country I think youl find??? And the west coast bias does exist,if you cant see it you are blind.

Is it not £1000 PER game in the top flight :|

I wouldnt mind being very average at my job and getting paid that :)

Is it snowing in Motherwell - Their pitch will be doomed if it is. 

Edited by PerthSeany

A fine point Edstar, where I would find fault in your comparison is that going to a restaurant is very much a service being provided to you whereas attending a football match is an event you are a spectator of. Not to say it's a bad example but I would feel differently about being served a crap meal and seeing a crap refereeing performance.

Fair point but how do you suggest we address the issue? Highly paid continental referees? Sacking referees for making too many mistakes as you assess their performance? Do away with referees completely?

I tend to ignore referees for the most part during a football game, obviously if they make a blunder I'll moan about it but there is no point holding a grievance after the game is over. People calling for Willie Collums head just bewilder me.

Also people saying "we'll get decisions against us because of west coast bias". If you are having a laugh then fair enough but if you seriously believe it I don't think your tin foil hat is on tight enough.

Again, I disagree, in that football, and this is something many players forget, is in some ways a service being provided to us.....we pay to watch....they are there to provide something to those in attendance that have paid for the pleasure...the ref is part of that service