What Is Your Top Mcdiarmid Xi

AthensSaint

Now my memory is getting bad but did Sammy Johnson and Don McVicar play at McD ???

Kilgour, same with you but did Dougie Barron play at McD ??? (get where you are coming though in naming him).

Yes he certainly did.I used to go with him and his dad and grandad. Mot of his career was at Muirton.A fabulous person and so dedicated to Saints.Went for a short stint to East Fife but it was never the same.

This is helluva difficult. I'm slightly too young to REALLY remember Baltacha etc, so I'll be basing my team from the mid 90s onwards. I think I could put two teams together and be happy with them to be honest!

Main

Mackay Anderson Kernaghan C Davidson

Kane Millar Dasovic

Sylla O'Boyle May

Mannus

McQuillan Duberry Wright B Easton

O'Neil M Davidson Morris Sheerin

Grant Maclean

I'm not even sure who would win that match.

Even after all that, there's plenty of others who deserve honourable mentions. Jim Weir, Danny Griffin, Goran Stanic, Paul Hartley, Liam Craig Martin Hardie (and it really breaks my heart not to include the last two in one of the teams) Jason Scotland, Leigh Jenkinson, Fran Sandaza... even guys who weren't with us long enough to be in with a shout for a team like this (Mehdi Abeid).

So many class players. So lucky to have been around to see so many perform so admirably in a Saints shirt.

Folk not picking Stanic. What is this madness?

I pondered this for some time when I posted my team. Stanic is one of my all time favourite saints players. However, he played for us at 1st division level and never played in the SPL, so I can't say he is a better LB than Callum, Bollan, Easton etc.

I do recall some great games in cup competitions against SPL sides.

Still a Saints legend though. It's a spectator sport after all, and he was entertaining to watch.

I`m going for:-

GK - Alan Main (just shades it over Mannus)

FB - Dave Mackay (has to be Scottish Cup Winning Captain)

CD`s - Baltacha & Kernaghan (doubtful if we`ll ever see quality defenders like them again in our team)

LB - Brian Easton - (just shades it over Calum Davidson)

Mid - Chris Millar (IMO our best midfield player by a mile last couple of years)

Mid - Nick Dasovic (quality, experienced player, hard to play against, scored in LC Cup Final)

Mid - Harry Curran (always good for a few goals from midfield)

FW - Alan Moore (oh to have him on right wing now, tough little player who could get past defenders and cross/score)

FW - George O`Boyle (quality finisher)

FW - Steven McLean (Heart & Head of team - magic!)

I've gone for an Owen Coyle-style 3-5-2 with wing-backs, as I wanted to be able to pick Baltacha as sweeper behind Kernaghan and Duberry. My team's based purely on who I think the best footballers have been, rather than popularity/legendary status:

___________________Main

__________________Baltacha

___________Kernaghan___Duberry

Sylla______________Dasovic_________Stanic

_________O'Neil____________Sheerin

__________________O'Boyle

___________________May

Subs: Alan Mannus, Dave Mackay, Allan Preston, Paul Kane, Allan Moore, Roddy Grant, Paul Wright

Mannus

MacKay

Kernaghan

Baltacha

Davidson

O'Neil

Dasovic

Sheerin

O'Boyle

MacLean

May

Subs - Cuthbert, Anderson, Morris, Kane, Hardie, Grant, Wright

v

Paston

Tait

Webb

Kemble

Smith

Bagan

Lee

Mahood

Hardy

Lilley

McConalogue

Subs - Cuthbert, Vata, Lovering, McQuilken, McLaughlin, Moore, Barrett

Would be a tight game IMO (in my opinion).