10,000 Crowds?

bluesaint

As I said earlier in the thread Saints attendances are extremely trustworthy. They are almost entirely generated automatically by the turnstiles - which is why they lock when a stand is full. The only exception to this is, I believe, the corporate hospitality section, where fans don't come in through turnstiles. I presume a figure is supplied separately for that small number.

I disagree with you about Trnava. The turnstiles tell the story accurately. What a lot of people don't see from their seat is the gaps at the end of their own stands, but also the odd unoccupied seats in other stands. Unless a game is all-ticket, you get a lot of these unoccupied single seats which are hard to see from a distance.

Agreed, sometimes the East Stand feels pretty full when you are sitting in it, but then when you see the highlights on the telly, it looks mostly empty

Don't understand that. Saints attendances have always been automatically registered through the turnstiles. In other words, if you're in the ground, you're counted.

If that's the case were ticket holders not admitted as the stand would have been full ? Saints sent us out complimentary tickets for the last game of the season against Forfar because of it .

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/celtic/302136-how-has-your-clubs-average-attendance-changed-in-past-20-years/

A link showing the premierships clubs average attendaces over the past 20 years. Ours is slowly increasing

Interesting we had the 5th highest average attendance out of the premiership last season. Motherwell and Kilmarnock are suffering more every year. Motherwell should surely be most worried considering they were finishing 2nd and there attendances were still dropping

I do think Dundee in 1999 is the most recent 10000+ crowd. Just to extend this topic a bit when was the last 10000+ at Muirton, was it the 3-3 game against Rangers in the cup?

Trying to remember that far back but struggling. Cup games/replays against morton had massive crowds. One of the games at muirton (midweek) I think crowd was in papers as 11/12,000 I think. But I know there was at least 3,000 more than that.

Trying to remember that far back but struggling. Cup games/replays against morton had massive crowds. One of the games at muirton (midweek) I think crowd was in papers as 11/12,000 I think. But I know there was at least 3,000 more than that.

Eh? Got me beat there .What years were these games against the mighty Morton. ?

Truth dat - safety certificate was reduced to 7,500 even wi the segregation barrier (paid for by the Sheep)

Really ? Seriously thought it was more than that, well felt like more when I was running the gauntlet getting slapped aboot fae the hoors !!

Just checked in "Bristling" the last 10000+ crowd at Muirton was League Cup game v Celtic on August 12th 1981 (we won 2-0). The Morton cup replay game at Muirton was 8337,the first game at Cappielow was 6300.

Thought it was more than that. These were the days when you had no automated counters. Crowds were always reported low for the old tax dodge.

Was confirmed at the time the crowd figure given was over 3000 less than actually at the game.

Never made the away game as had just started working.

Was there not two replays. Also John spencer had no long joined morton if I recsll

No it wasn't. 9,600-odd.

Even so, that is an incredible crowd to think of now, considering it was a midweek replay, against a (then) highland league team in the middle of winter. I remember they filled the north stand, but i don't know if the away fans got a section of the main stand in those days. There was a real buzz about the early rounds of the Scottish cup in those days. Pretty sure we had big crowds against Berwick, Ayr Utd and Hibs around the same time.

Another 10k+ i remember was against the arabs at the end of 1995-96 - think it was pay at the gate and quite a few folk couldn't get in.

Just checked in "Bristling" the last 10000+ crowd at Muirton was League Cup game v Celtic on August 12th 1981 (we won 2-0). The Morton cup replay game at Muirton was 8337,the first game at Cappielow was 6300.

Remember it well, super Ally ran from 40 yards to score, beat Hibs at Easter rd too,Ally scored a beauty from the junction of the box, and Beedie scored a diving header on his debut

The first game, the 2-2 draw at Cappielow. Tommy Turner and John Spencer playing for Morton, Inflatable bananas in the crowd and packed terraces, Stevie Maskrey on the wing, 'Totten Totten show us your scarf', Roddeeeee, John Balavage the penalty saving king...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHJosSaAxw

Edited by PauloPerth

The first game, the 2-2 draw at Cappielow. Tommy Turner and John Spencer playing for Morton, Inflatable bananas in the crowd and packed terraces, Stevie Maskrey on the wing, 'Totten Totten show us your scarf', Roddeeeee, John Balavage the penalty saving king...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vSHJosSaAxw

Glad they binned that strip.

As I said earlier in the thread Saints attendances are extremely trustworthy. They are almost entirely generated automatically by the turnstiles - which is why they lock when a stand is full. The only exception to this is, I believe, the corporate hospitality section, where fans don't come in through turnstiles. I presume a figure is supplied separately for that small number.

I disagree with you about Trnava. The turnstiles tell the story accurately. What a lot of people don't see from their seat is the gaps at the end of their own stands, but also the odd unoccupied seats in other stands. Unless a game is all-ticket, you get a lot of these unoccupied single seats which are hard to see from a distance.

They don't have to be dubious I'd imagine because under 12s are free.

Think about it...........