Aberdeen v Saints 3rd Oct

The ghost of Jim Morton

I have to say that the dons fans on this have been the most amiable out of any team. Welcome lads 

Why thank you.

There's no point in joining an opposition forum just to stir things up. I do think its good to have a bit of discussion and debate and maybe a wee bit of banter as it heightens the anticipation for the weekend game.

Of course, we may not agree on some things, but thats opinions and we are all entitled to them.

I'm hoping you bring a good support up tomorrow, it's a great game and we pick up the three points :wink:

Doesn't matter what role the club specifically plays to be honest, if the 'matchday experience' is shite then away fans will not bother to make the trip. It really really is that simple.
Saying "it's outsourced" is not an argument, it all works towards the reputation and perception of the club. Whether problems like heavy handed policing, incompetent stewarding, or even rude pie sellers are directly managed by the club or by an external company, it makes no difference, it all contributes to the away fans' perception of the home club, and the number of travelling fans will directly reflect this.

The last trip to Todders was an total shambles from a Saints point of view and I for one am questioning whether it's worth making the trip or not - and I live far closer to the ground than most on here.

Every aspect of match day is down to the club. It's their event and therefore their responsibility, their safety officer, they engage the stewards, they employ the staff. They meet with the police, stewards and the away club's safety officer a few days before each match. Police do what they do at any public gathering, they police. The club are still responsible for the event. If some stewards say you must sit in the seat allocated and some say sit anywhere this is the club's responsibility, not the stewards. It's a failure of communication on behalf of the club that underlies all of that type of thing. I won't get started on Aberdeen as I could be here for a while. Then I'd have to mention the away facilities.

Taking both of the above into account, I'm sorry if you had a bad experience, I don;t think that the stewards or the police project a positive image.

I recall one Aberdeen v Rangers game, where I was singing "The Flower of Scotland" for obvious reasons and a young "Glaswegian" police officer told me to stop singing sectarian songs or I would be lifted. I promptly pointed out to his superior that he did not have a clue what he was trying to "police". He was promptly moved to another area.

It was the folly of my youth, but I did start a period of singing "traffic warden, traffic warden" to some over officious police who were losing control.

I've seen similar incidents with stewards who try to insist on over officious stewarding. Often it comes down to poor training and experience in my opinion.

I remember the most forceful policiing I ever witnessed was in Germany when we played Hertha Berlin. These guys were Brutes, all about 7 feet tall and would not engage in any friendly engagements at all. We were literally sheppherd :wink: from the town to the ground and back again afterwards.

I wouldn't let a few numpties stop me from going to away games or supporting my team though.

As for the facilities, yes, Pittodrie is not the most modern stadium at the moment, although at one time it was pioneering. There has been a long discussion about moving home and building a new stadium, but we are still waiting and now I believe they might be looking at simply renovating Pittodrie now.

The food stalls are pretty basic and often run out of food. I would argue that you actually get the better deal of those sitting in the South Stand as you have much shorter queues due to the quantity of travelling support you bring.

I could probably nit pick about many grounds around Scotland, however that's just part of the experience of an away day.

Hope you bring as much as you can, else the club may look to restrict the away support seating further.

please print this off and send it to del to pin on the dressing room :laugh: this would make my day, and if we do go on to beat you with ten men i would become a forum legend :mrgreen:

I don;t think I will need to.

DM was with Sir Alex Ferguson last night who was discussing various motivational methods he has deployed over the years. I'd hope that he has added to his own methods and has plenty in the bank for tomorrow game.

I don;t think I will need to.

DM was with Sir Alex Ferguson last night who was discussing various motivational methods he has deployed over the years. I'd hope that he has added to his own methods and has plenty in the bank for tomorrow game.

wonder how that went?

del- "how can we beat st johnstone with 11 players and they only have 10?"

Fergie- "pin blue magic's post on the dressing room wall"

wonder how that went?

del- "how can we beat st johnstone with 11 players and they only have 10?"

Fergie- "pin blue magic's post on the dressing room wall"

nice one, I'll be sure to make sure he gets this if your premonitions come true for the next time we play you.

I'm sure the'll already have something planned about how strong and resilient you were to come back from 1 down to beat Utd with 10 men.

He'll relate this to you being storng like Aberdeen were against Celtic and the need to be up for the game from the start and to make sure we take advantage of the home game and be clinical in front of goals.

Some of the things DM has said this year is certainly Fergiesque and demonstrates he has developed his leadership and motivational capabilities.

Pittoddrie is the most disgusting ground in the spl.absolute tip inside ,stewards are bell ends ,the outside of the ground has high steel fences surrounding the away end ,more akin to a prison set up than a football stadium.

kept us back at new year game  for no specific reason except to be unreasonable.it took the wit of a saints fan to use a ladder to escape and open the gates behind the stewards so we could all leave.

that steward at the last match where Kane got the winner,the head steward took the young lads drumsticks away .allowed the home fans to keep there drumsticks though.

fuq aberdoom they can stick there red flag up where the sun don't shine.i see there fans still sing a copied Chelsea tune even though a lot them of like Spurs !! As for the steaming in song ,what a bunch of wallies

nae time for aberdoom ,won't be going.having said that I do hope they can beat the plastic paddies to the league.

ciao for now

Get there early then and be prepared to queue for an hour while the turnstile operators run out of tickets 11 times.

Is it pay at he gate? I'm surprised.

Can you not get your ticket in advance.

Aberdeen recently upgraded to allow print from home tickets (certainly for home side, although never tried for the away side)

P.S. Mcdiarmid park is not the easiest to get out of either ;o), many a time I've queued for ages to get out of the car park and onto the motorway

Oh, and don't take the drum, because the nazi-like security guys will confiscate the sticks from a 10 year old again.

Yes, don't take a drum. I absolutely detest drums at games. Livi seemed to have started it years ago and is not condusive to a good atmosphere. Actually, it's used by teams to try and create more noise because the fans are failing to do so and I include Aberdeen's signing section with that too.

In what way?

Stuck in that corner, caged in, restricted view, disorganised overzealous stewarding, seating blocked off, insufficient catering, insufficient toilets, expensive overcomplicated ticketing arrangements - apart from that it's a lovely experience

Edited by Jimmy Wallace

Stuck in that corner, caged in, restricted view, disorganised overzealous stewarding, seating blocked off, insufficient catering, insufficient toilets, expensive overcomplicated ticketing arrangements - apart from that it's a lovely experience

I reiterate, I guess you've not been to many away games, certainly not against the top sides.

Stuck in that corner - more space given than Celtic, Rangers, Hearts

Caged in - Hardly, there's a fence to separate the away fans from the home fans. The same fence the home fance are "caged in" with

Restricted view - What restricted view? The fence, the same fence that the South Stand Home Fans sit next to. You should try going to Celtic park and getting restricted view behind a piller

disorganised overzealous stewarding - No argument here, but same for home fans

seating blocked off - LAUGH OUT LOUD, seating next to the fence that gives you a retricted view. Which do you want. Do you not realise that Celtic, Rangers, Hearts all have seating clocked off too to seperate fans

insufficient catering - Same for home fans, but in fairness, hard to cater for unknown quantities.

insufficient toilets - Same for home fans, although we get by.

expensive overcomplicated ticketing arrangements - explain more, what's so complicated about it?

apart from that it's a lovely experience - Glad you enjoyed it, please come again.

Seriously though, how many fans do you bring? Maybe if you had a greater following support, the club could consider making improvements

Is it pay at he gate? I'm surprised.

Can you not get your ticket in advance.

Aberdeen recently upgraded to allow print from home tickets (certainly for home side, although never tried for the away side)

P.S. Mcdiarmid park is not the easiest to get out of either ;o), many a time I've queued for ages to get out of the car park and onto the motorway

Yes, don't take a drum. I absolutely detest drums at games. Livi seemed to have started it years ago and is not condusive to a good atmosphere. Actually, it's used by teams to try and create more noise because the fans are failing to do so and I include Aberdeen's signing section with that too

Totally missing the point.

It was pay at the gate last time (last game of the season), and they had 2 away turnstiles operating, both of which ran out of tickets several times, meaning around half our supporters missed the start of the game.  

I don't care about the drum, I care about fully grown men acting like hitlers because they've got a yellow jacket on picking on kids because it makes them feel good.  Alan Mannus came over at the end of that game, identified the lad and gave him his gloves.  THAT's how blatant this Neanderthal acting on behalf of Abderdeen Football Club was.  Even the players noticed.

AND - the idiots wouldn't let Saints fans sit in the front three rows, despite there being nowhere for them to sit or stand.  They enforced empty seats for no reason other than to ensure paying customers couldn't see the game.

Your posts so far have seemed OK, but if you want to come on here and defend behaviour like that then you can quite frankly get f**ked.

Edited by montrosesaintee

The stewards at the game last season were more keener for  their advertising banners to have a seat rather than Saints fans

Turrnstile attendants ran out of tickets several times, I personally witnessed 1 club official sauntering over from the main stand with about 50 tickets even though there was about 500 Saints fans outside (surely the least they could do is if the away end seats 2000 or whatever it is  have that amount of tickets to hand)

Food kiosks were providing very slow service for what in the end was pretty poor food

While I will not be there tomorrow I would not rule out going back in the future if we were faced with a similar scenario to last season