Alan Mannus: past his best?

Wee Mental Davie

Put it this way, if we were playing St Johnstone next week, we'd all be posting about how we should play our best free kick/corner deliverer to put balls on top of the keeper, and play our biggest striker up top, because Mannus flaps at crosses close to goal all day long.

(ignore the fact that it would be Liam Craig floaters to a statue of John Sutton)

It's an identifiable weakness.  He has made up for it for a long time by having Frazer Wright win everything in the air in front of him, and by being very good at all other aspects of goalkeeping.  Sadly he's having a poor run of form/confidence at the same time as he has no Frazer.

The manager is an international goalie who played at the highest level. He watches both players in training every day. Mannus is not having his best season but if Tommy has him ahead of Clark it's for a reason. 

so can we all stop discussing it please as HSF has played the 'club, or anybody associated with it, can't be wrong' card AGAIN :roll:

Guest ScottMann

Alan is a legend so can never be dropped. He's never made a mistake and never will ffs. You're not a real supporter if you think differently. Dundee , Motherwell and Gretna all changed their keepers and we'll go the same way if we do. 

If we genuinely had 2 first choice keepers Clark would've kept the position when Mannus's suspension was up as he'd done little wrong. But we don't. In true Tommy style we have a promising youngster and an undropable favourite. 

Watching from behind the goal at the opposite end of the ground last week I would have agreed with you regarding the shot from McGinn.

However having watched this on camera shots from behind the scorer, Mannus moved to his right to get a view of the ball, as Ando was blocking his view and of course the shot went to Mannus's left, which had become a large target

Was raging with him at the time, but with the benefit of camera angles find him not guilty.

The blame lies with those in front of him for not closing down the shooter quickly enough.

That's not to say that I don't think that Zander should be given a run out, but Tommy will be true to those that have served him well.

I only saw it from behind the goal. Refused to watch the "highlights" 

I didn't mean Tommy devoting some his time during training all the players to coach Mannus, I simply meant that Tommy's experience as a goalkeeper and might be of use Alan more regardless if he's manager or not.

I get you. By the same token, I expect Tommy maybe thinks that with Alan's experience coupled with us having a FT GK coach, his input would be unwanted and unhelpful when it comes to coaching. 

We are badly missing a communicator in defence. Mannus might be sub par just now but that is more mental than anything. People underestimate how big a thing the mental side of sport is. 

Whatever happens, we are at the stage where something needs to be done to stop the rot. I'm not convince that the solution is dropping Al though. I wouldn't want to throw young Zander to the wolves when we are in a run like we are just now. 

Alan Mannus is having a poor spell, but I really do think it is no more than just a spell. His ability and previous achievements earns him time to turn his form around.

Although today didn't show it, I think we've got a good potential CB pairing in Joe and Ando. Let's give them time to get used to each other. Since Wright has left there has been a hesitation to Mannus game, but he will get it back.

I get you. By the same token, I expect Tommy maybe thinks that with Alan's experience coupled with us having a FT GK coach, his input would be unwanted and unhelpful when it comes to coaching. 

We are badly missing a communicator in defence. Mannus might be sub par just now but that is more mental than anything. People underestimate how big a thing the mental side of sport is. 

Whatever happens, we are at the stage where something needs to be done to stop the rot. I'm not convince that the solution is dropping Al though. I wouldn't want to throw young Zander to the wolves when we are in a run like we are just now. 

Like you said we don't have a big voice in defence. We are missing big Frazer big time, I bet Mannus is anyway.

Fielding Zander wouldn't be a solution for this season, mostly just to make a statement to the squad that they need that  kick up the backside to try get back into shape. However, you can see that some of the lads are coming up for their mid 30s - Midgie, Alan, Cuptie, Ando - it shows in their performances and recurring injuries. Can't see Cuptie or Ando playing beyond the next 2 or 3 seasons, I think Cuptie said in an interview recently that he might not get another League Cup or Scottish Cup run in his career (hint, hint) so hopefully Tommy has some younger targets in mind for when they hang their boots up.

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

Alan Mannus is having a poor spell, but I really do think it is no more than just a spell. His ability and previous achievements earns him time to turn his form around.

Although today didn't show it, I think we've got a good potential CB pairing in Joe and Ando. Let's give them time to get used to each other. Since Wright has left there has been a hesitation to Mannus game, but he will get it back.

must of missed his alertness running out the box to make a clearance. Don't think he is doing much wrong today. Feck all chance with the group of players in front of him failing to do basics today. Maybe we need to prevent silly fouls outside the box?

It's no coincidence that since Fraser left so has last years clean sheets.

Just watched Dunbartons draw with Dundee on Sportscene, big Frazer certainly playing his part, solid throughout and loudest on the pitch. Could of done with that at todays game...

Edited by Wee Mental Davie

must of missed his alertness running out the box to make a clearance. Don't think he is doing much wrong today. Feck all chance with the group of players in front of him failing to do basics today. Maybe we need to prevent silly fouls outside the box?

I actually think Mannua did hesitate when he came out the box for a couple seconds.