Queen of the South v Saints, Premier Sports Cup, 16th July

blueheaven

So next we come up against another lower league side, and a chance to redeem ourselves after Tuesday night. That said, QoS will be a tough game, especially at Palmerston, and they smashed Ayr 3-0 in their last match.

We have Cleary and MacPherson suspended and presumably Wright and Gordon still unavailable (although I think I heard Wright might be pushing to be ready for this one).

I'd like to think it might have been agreed that Sinclair would get some game time at some point over the course of these matches, but I'm obviously not holding my breath. My prediction is that Davidson will bring Carey and Murphy into his starting line-up, and end the Gilmour RWB experiment, and go with:

Parish

Brown Mahon Considine

MOH Davidson Hallberg Montgomery

Carey Bair Murphy

Assume any footage of the MacPherson challenge will be single camera, which I doubt will be enough to support any appeal. Waste of time and money.

On Ross Sinclair, I wonder if part of reason he isn't involved is because it would limit him to playing for just one other club this season. If he doesn't feature for Saints, they can reassess any loan in January and fix him up somewhere else if needed/desired. 

Maybe with two of our four natural CBs unavailable, the manager might display this new flexibility he promised us at the start of the summer...

I get the feeling Gilmour is getting game time so CD can decide whether he is really worth keeping on. He can't displace any of the main midfield so is played out of position to see if he can adapt. So far, it doesn't look very clever for him. Saying that, if we keep to the same formation, I'd expect he'd continue to start despite the fact that others look more comfortable in that role.

Given the manager himself says we need to win the remaining games in the group, I can't see how he cannot play the 'main' players like Murphy & Carey on Sat. They both looked like they had something to offer in their little cameo, so I think we can still get a positive result.

However, that will depend on the players taking the game to QoS rather than the ponderous passing we saw the other night.

3 hours ago, MrBored said:

I get the feeling Gilmour is getting game time so CD can decide whether he is really worth keeping on. He can't displace any of the main midfield so is played out of position to see if he can adapt. So far, it doesn't look very clever for him. Saying that, if we keep to the same formation, I'd expect he'd continue to start despite the fact that others look more comfortable in that role.

It is starting to feel a bit like Gilmour is going to be a Falkirk, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline player in the near future.

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, that they are deciding on Gilmour, surely they have already decided , he s under contract for next year, sending him out on loan again would serve little purpose from a development point of view and I very much doubt any clubs interested are going to want to pay all his wages so him going on loan isn’t going to release a lot of cash to spend on a replacement.

Do we have any idea how much of Etu s wages Linfield are covering ?

The amount of money we are wasting when we have a small budget to play with is reason enough to sack Davidson in my opinion, never mind the results.

15 minutes ago, Strawman said:

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times, that they are deciding on Gilmour, surely they have already decided , he s under contract for next year, sending him out on loan again would serve little purpose from a development point of view and I very much doubt any clubs interested are going to want to pay all his wages so him going on loan isn’t going to release a lot of cash to spend on a replacement.

The amount of money we are wasting when we have a small budget to play with is reason enough to sack Davidson in my opinion, never mind the results.

His contract expires at the end of the season

6 hours ago, Cagey said:

No , for all the years I have been watching Saints ,QoS have been a bit of a bogey team especially at Palmerston.

I remember a game I went to at Palmerston a few years ago when we were down 3-0 at half time and came back from the dead to draw 3-3. Felt like a victory. 

28 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

His contract expires at the end of the season

I think that's what he means. What's the point of loaning him out for development in the last year of his contract.

Maybe to loan him out to pay a fraction of his wages but I think at worst he would be a decent squad player.

49 minutes ago, Strawman said:

The money wasted by this man is unbelievable. Transfer fees paid for players not getting a game. Wages paid to players not getting a game. Jahmal Hector - Ingram signed and after 3 months or more still not fit enough to play. Does he do any research on the players he signs. The guy has played 9 games in 9 years.

We have to get rid of him before he bankrupts the club.

19 players signed last season. How much game time between them all.

16 minutes ago, Cagey said:

I think that's what he means. What's the point of loaning him out for development in the last year of his contract.

Maybe to loan him out to pay a fraction of his wages but I think at worst he would be a decent squad player.

Exactly what I meant, he’s under contract for the next year, or however many months, only advantage would be getting some of his wages paid but we d still be paying some as well I imagine.

Wasting money all over the squad, that’s the bit I fail to understand the board being ok with, I can just about get the fact we won the double means we give Callum time to turn it round, but the cash we must be just throwing out the door part I don’t.

7 hours ago, Strawman said:

Exactly what I meant, he’s under contract for the next year, or however many months, only advantage would be getting some of his wages paid but we d still be paying some as well I imagine.

Wasting money all over the squad, that’s the bit I fail to understand the board being ok with, I can just about get the fact we won the double means we give Callum time to turn it round, but the cash we must be just throwing out the door part I don’t.

Aye no idea why I read the initial post the way I did - apologies! 

7 hours ago, rik2304 said:

Managers have won more then been sacked sooner for less. 

The actual damage he's caused could take years to reverse.

He should have gone after Kelty.

Well after winning the double the Browns may have felt CD walks on water, he is sinking pretty quickly these days and the silence from the front office is alarming.

I honestly believe they won’t sack CD and CD won’t walk till his contract expires.